Turn on thread page Beta

Starting gym..need advice..pls :) watch

ReputationRep:
    Don't start too heavily... Gradually work into the more strenuous exercises.

ReputationRep:
    Why the hell wouldn't you want muscle? Are you actually aiming for skinny-fat or something? Weiiiird.

ReputationRep:
    Read the sticky thread at the top of this forum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whiplash)
    Definitely do not do this.
    Why not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Norris197)
    If you're planning on going 5 times a week, then I wouldn't do any more than an hour a day, otherwise you'll over do it. You will probably find it hard to maintain 5 days a week anyway for the first couple weeks, but your body will get used to it.

Mix up the cardio with some muscular exercises to keep your body on it's toes, I can't really judge how much weight you're looking to lose but when doing your muscular exercises try and steer clear of the resistance machines and focus on free weight compound exercises (squats, deadlift, bench etc), best not to develop any bad habits from the start .

EDIT: Oh yea guy or girl lol...?
    How come?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tabbycat1)
    How come?
    I was kinda presuming the OP was a guy, who was looking to get in shape, my bad. So basically the benefits of using free weights for this purpose far outweigh resistance training.

Free weights allow you to isolate any muscle areas you wish to work on, they also work your stabilizer muscles which are neglected when using solely resistance machines. This helps your burn more calories during your workout and gives greater muscle development.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Viva009)
    i dont want any muscle..just weight loss..so im guessing loads of cardio?
    If you just do cardio, you will lose the weight but be left with flabby skin. Do some light weight's and this will easily tone up your bdy and make you look even better, so some sit ups and stuff aswell!

ReputationRep:
    dont go 5times, unless its including sat + sun. cardio one day weights the other kthnxbi.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 27, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.