The Student Room Group

Sold Paracetamol to an under-16 by accident..

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Anonymous
Interesting...how about my theory...OP served a girl who looked older than 16, she wasnt hot so he cant remember her..and he sold her a box of 32 paracetamol...girl goes home...and mum finds paracetamol..seraches her pockets and finds the damn receipt with OP name on it :frown:

That's possible but it's not the only explanation for what happened.

If OP knew the regulations he shouldn't get even a warning because it's not proven he's done anything wrong.

However, a good manager might ask service assistants in future to age check everyone who looks U-19 for Paracetamol, rather than age check those who look U-16.

In this case you want to trade false negatives (didn't need to ask them their age and they were over 16) for false positives (didn't ask them their age and they were U-16).
Reply 21
The question should be why would her mum react in that way to a stupid little pack of paracetamol? It's not like you sold her enough to OD.
Her mum calls boots... what a bitch...
If they make a big issue out of it, ask to see the CCTV footage - what if someone else bought it or was with her?
Reply 24
kristinaalovesu
You can get a write up if this is your first mistake.

It's not proven OP has made a mistake.

1. The U-16 girl may not have bought it herself, someone over 16 may have bought it and given it to U-16 girl

2. The manager should require staff older than U-16 be age checked, to account for natural variation in age appearance. A manager who doesn't age check older than necessary is stupid and irresponsible.

It's not proven OP has made a mistake. OP should make sure he doesn't get any warning. Don't let the bitch/prick manage put the blame on you without any proof.
I used to buy paracetamol allll the time when i was 13-15, twice a day every day from boots. I'm pretty sure no-one got sacked for it though.
It's a one of, and I doubt something serious will happen, just make sure to ask everyone from now on their age! :smile:
Anonymous
Anon or delete please :frown:

Hey everyone. I work part time in Boots on the weekends on the healthcare counter. I'm applying for jobs during the week as I've finished university this year.

Just got a voicemail from my team manager asking me to ring her back. :frown: I did so and this was the exchange:

Her: "Do you remember selling Paracetamol to a young girl yesterday?"

Me: "I sell loads of Paracetamol every day I don't remember one particular incident.."

Her: "A young girl under the age of 16 purchased Paracetamol from us yesterday because of a headache, goes home and her mum demands to know where she got it from.. she says Boots, shows her mum the receipt and your name is on there.."

Me: "Oh crap.."

Her: "Do you know incidentally what the minimum age is for buying Paracetamol?"

Me: "The person has to be 16 and over.."

Her: "Well done"

So yeah that was it really. She said she was pleased that i knew what the minimum age was for buying it and that my only mistake was that i didn't ask for the girl's age. She said she would pass the information on to the store manager.

When i asked her what would happen next, she said i dont know, but that they'd get in touch with me.

I am absolutely crapping it. I love working on the healthcare counter and don't want to lose my job. I've been there for just over a year and this is the first real issue that has popped up, but it's quite a serious one. I don't remember the girl but she must have looked over 16 for me to have sold it to her, but it was a genuine honest mistake.

Does anyone know what happens next? I've been comforting myself with the fact that although very serious, I could've sold her something worse by accident like Co-Codamol or something..

Thanks for any replies in advance. My heart is running a marathon as I type this. :frown:

wouldn't worry to much about it mate, at Waitrose customers need to be older than 12 to buy paracetamol lol, so it isn't a national minumum age. you won't get fired. i once charged someone 4p for £40+ worth of shopping once because of these discounts, never got the sack lol
ghanglish
Is it because of possible Reye's Syndrome? Or is that just aspirin?

I think its only aspirin
Not such a big deal. Self serve at Tesco just comes up that you can't buy more than two packs. You can be any age and buy it if you can operate those tempermental things and have 16p.
Reply 29
Ask for cctv
Reply 30
http://www.acs.org.uk/en/Advice/legal/employment-law/sales--marketing/medicines-act-1968-as-amended/

Somewhat surprisingly there is no legal age restriction on the sale of aspirin or paracetamol but again the responsible retailer may feel obliged to impose his own guidelines. These should take account of labelling on the packaging, e.g. if the product contains aspirin or aloxiprin the words “Do not give to children aged under 16 years, unless on the advice of a doctor”. It would, therefore, be most irresponsible to sell such product to someone under 16 years.

Appropriate procedures and staff training are essential to avoid the commission of an offence which, upon conviction could result in a heavy fine and/or imprisonment.

Young children can take paracetamol in small doses.
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Painkillers-paracetamol/Pages/What-is-it-used-for.aspx
****, quickly draw the curtains and lock all the doors of your house. After reading this, shut down your computer and destroy the hard drive completely. Whilst you're wiping your belongings clean of fingerprints, call a taxi. Make sure you give the taxi company a fake name. Now gather up all the cash you can find in the house, grab your passport and get the **** out of the country.
Reply 32
http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1009.aspx?CategoryID=73&SubCategoryID=101

Check the NPA as well, but I do not think it is illegal to sell them; just good practice not too, and probably in the code of ethics and pharmacy guidelines. Anyhow, if you have not recieved sufficient support in identifying under 16's and challenging them, then it is not your fault. Boots are probably more worried about the complaint from the mother than safety of the child. I do see her point, obviously she could have become seriously ill if she has taken the wring does etc, but then also- some responsibility is on the girl too. (unless she was like 3 years old) You will probably get called into a meeting and have a recorded interview, but probably not. They might require you to do some extra training, but I am sure that people have done much worse before.
Reply 33
I never heard of using ID to buy paracetamol
jmenkus
****, quickly draw the curtains and lock all the doors of your house. After reading this, shut down your computer and destroy the hard drive completely. Whilst you're wiping your belongings clean of fingerprints, call a taxi. Make sure you give the taxi company a fake name. Now gather up all the cash you can find in the house, grab your passport and get the **** out of the country.

:rofl: this isn't going to help the OP's panic attack:lol:
Reply 35
What ID does a 16 year old have..? :s-smilie:

It's puzzled me for ages, yes, I know some have passports, but not everyone does..

My mind has probably gone blank and I'm probably missing something obvious here.
Reply 36
Eugh, this law always annoyed me. I mean really?

It's only Paracetamol. :rolleyes:

Ahh well, I'm sure you'll be fine. It's not really a massive thing, and an easy mistake. To be honest, the mother sounds a little bit stupid in all honesty.
i've never been id'd for buying any painkillers!! been buying them for years...
anyways, i'm sure it will be fine it's a minor incident.
that girls mum is a bitch tho...
Anonymous
Anon or delete please :frown:

Hey everyone. I work part time in Boots on the weekends on the healthcare counter. I'm applying for jobs during the week as I've finished university this year.

Just got a voicemail from my team manager asking me to ring her back. :frown: I did so and this was the exchange:

Her: "Do you remember selling Paracetamol to a young girl yesterday?"

Me: "I sell loads of Paracetamol every day I don't remember one particular incident.."

Her: "A young girl under the age of 16 purchased Paracetamol from us yesterday because of a headache, goes home and her mum demands to know where she got it from.. she says Boots, shows her mum the receipt and your name is on there.."

Me: "Oh crap.."

Her: "Do you know incidentally what the minimum age is for buying Paracetamol?"

Me: "The person has to be 16 and over.."

Her: "Well done"

So yeah that was it really. She said she was pleased that i knew what the minimum age was for buying it and that my only mistake was that i didn't ask for the girl's age. She said she would pass the information on to the store manager.

When i asked her what would happen next, she said i dont know, but that they'd get in touch with me.

I am absolutely crapping it. I love working on the healthcare counter and don't want to lose my job. I've been there for just over a year and this is the first real issue that has popped up, but it's quite a serious one. I don't remember the girl but she must have looked over 16 for me to have sold it to her, but it was a genuine honest mistake.

Does anyone know what happens next? I've been comforting myself with the fact that although very serious, I could've sold her something worse by accident like Co-Codamol or something..

Thanks for any replies in advance. My heart is running a marathon as I type this. :frown:

I work in a boots store on the health care counter and my colleague did the same thing but with ibuprofen which as you will know is worse, she was suspended for a week and that was it.

I doubt they will even bother when its only paracetamol.
this scenario has always puzzled me. why doesnt the person buying the age restricted product get the slap on the wrist? nothing should happen to you in my opinion

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending