Turn on thread page Beta

Sold Paracetamol to an under-16 by accident.. watch

ReputationRep:
    You definitely won't get sacked. More serious accidents take place in the dispensary at a pharmacy - things like the wrong strength of tablet being given out to the patient due to the prescription being read wrong or the label being wrong. Even if the error reaches the patient and they don't notice until the first couple doses have made them feel ill, all that happens is the patient is apologised to and a near-miss report is sent to the NHS to inform them of the error. Unless the patient decides to take legal action, or similar mistakes are made on a regular basis, that's all that happens.

So no, you won't get sacked for this one occasion of selling paracetamol to an under 16

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Anon or delete please

Hey everyone. I work part time in Boots on the weekends on the healthcare counter. I'm applying for jobs during the week as I've finished university this year.

Just got a voicemail from my team manager asking me to ring her back. I did so and this was the exchange:

Her: "Do you remember selling Paracetamol to a young girl yesterday?"

Me: "I sell loads of Paracetamol every day I don't remember one particular incident.."

Her: "A young girl under the age of 16 purchased Paracetamol from us yesterday because of a headache, goes home and her mum demands to know where she got it from.. she says Boots, shows her mum the receipt and your name is on there.."

Me: "Oh crap.."

Her: "Do you know incidentally what the minimum age is for buying Paracetamol?"

Me: "The person has to be 16 and over.."

Her: "Well done"

So yeah that was it really. She said she was pleased that i knew what the minimum age was for buying it and that my only mistake was that i didn't ask for the girl's age. She said she would pass the information on to the store manager.

When i asked her what would happen next, she said i dont know, but that they'd get in touch with me.

I am absolutely crapping it. I love working on the healthcare counter and don't want to lose my job. I've been there for just over a year and this is the first real issue that has popped up, but it's quite a serious one. I don't remember the girl but she must have looked over 16 for me to have sold it to her, but it was a genuine honest mistake.

Does anyone know what happens next? I've been comforting myself with the fact that although very serious, I could've sold her something worse by accident like Co-Codamol or something..

Thanks for any replies in advance. My heart is running a marathon as I type this.
    Work at M&S and as far as we've been told by the law, there is NO age restriction on selling paracetamols, it is however illegal to sell over two products containing paracetamol to one customer.

Don't know if this don't sell to under 16's is only compliant with Boots, but as far as I know it is not compliant with the law...

(Original post by Cybele)
    Also, all of those saying how easy it is to overdose - although we're told to only sell one box of 32 paracetamol max, we can actually sell up to 3 as long as we check with the pharmacist. That's 96 paracetamol tablets someone can walk away with, you'd have to take a whole LOT of those for it to do you some damage.
    96 at 500mg?

That's 48g of Paracetamol.

The 'lower limit' of an overdose is 32g (I think... it's in the 30s at least) and anything over 25g is considered enough to kill.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rooster523)
    birth certificate, Provisional driving license
    Provisional driving license is at 17..

But true about the birth certificate, thanks! :o:

Although, I personally wouldn't carry my birth certificate around..

ReputationRep:
    There is no legal age limit. Your store policy may be 16 though.

I'd be surprised if you get sacked. It was a mistake. It was judgement as well - did she look 16? You might get a slap on the wrist but people make mistakes. I know of people at Boots who have done much worse and not been sacked

You didn't sell a dangerous drug, you didn't sell alcohol or tobacco to a minor. You broke no actual laws. I wouldn't panic too much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Razzberry)
    Provisional driving license is at 17..

But true about the birth certificate, thanks! :o:

Although, I personally wouldn't carry my birth certificate around..
    I got my provisional at 16

You can ride mopeds at 16.

To ride a moped you need a provisional license...

ReputationRep:
    I was in Sainsbury's the other day and a woman refused to sell the bloke in front of me a lemsip because he had no id, even though he had a beard and looked about 30, it was hilarious. Be more like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jordan656)
    I went to prison for this for 6 months. It, changed me.....
    You went prison? Did you do it by accident? Or by real. :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MidnightRain1)
    You went prison? Did you do it by accident? Or by real. :eek3:
    Oh dear...

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/gullible

ReputationRep:
    Look itsmehere, calm down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlotte 2105)
    In the uk there is no lawful age restrictions for the retail of paracetamol. There is only store policy, for example I have messages boots on Facebook and got the reply that they don't have an age restriction
    Why have you revived a ghost thread? This issue has been solved for over five years. How did you even find it??

ReputationRep:
    Anon or delete please

Hey everyone. I work part time in Boots on the weekends on the healthcare counter. I'm applying for jobs during the week as I've finished university this year.

Just got a voicemail from my team manager asking me to ring her back. I did so and this was the exchange:

Me: "I sell loads of Paracetamol every day I don't remember one particular incident.."

Her: "A young girl under the age of 16 purchased Paracetamol from us yesterday because of a headache, goes home and her mum demands to know where she got it from.. she says Boots, shows her mum the receipt and your name is on there.."

So yeah that was it really. She said she was pleased that i knew what the minimum age was for buying it and that my only mistake was that i didn't ask for the girl's age. She said she would pass the information on to the store manager.

When i asked her what would happen next, she said i dont know, but that they'd get in touch with me.

I am absolutely crapping it. I love working on the healthcare counter and don't want to lose my job. I've been there for just over a year and this is the first real issue that has popped up, but it's quite a serious one. I don't remember the girl but she must have looked over 16 for me to have sold it to her, but it was a genuine honest mistake.

Does anyone know what happens next? I've been comforting myself with the fact that although very serious, I could've sold her something worse by accident like Co-Codamol or something..

Thanks for any replies in advance. My heart is running a marathon as I type this.
    Can't believe how blown out of all proportions this all is. Seriously? wtf? Bloody job worths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlotte 2105)
    In the uk there is no lawful age restrictions for the retail of paracetamol. There is only store policy, for example I have messages boots on Facebook and got the reply that they don't have an age restriction
    True.

But I'm sure this person is aware of that by now.

GG with the necromancy :lockstock:

ReputationRep:
    Anon or delete please

Nothing will happen it's a simple mistake and your first one in a year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'd just like to point out to everyone that it's probably a little late to give OP advice, given this thread was started five years ago.

I think overall it was probably fair enough for the mother to complain. Paracetamol is very dangerous if you take too much of it. On the other hand, if the child looked 16... if a 16 year old can be trusted to know that you have to read the packet before taking medicines, any child who looks 16 can also be trusted to know that, I imagine. The real issue is actual young children getting their hands on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Theconomist;[url="tel:27870893")
    27870893[/url]]What is the problem with paracetamol?
    It's not like you can easily overdose of it or get high from paracetamol.
    We can buy it everywhere here.Incl supermarkets.
    Anyone could shed some light?
    There are strict rules about medications - even counter sale ones. Paracetamol is a dangerous drug in overdoes, the gap better therapeutic dose and toxic does is smaller than some drugs. And it is used as a suicide drug. Even supermarkets are required to try to limit sale ie not to <16 and only 2 packs. This said I hope OP gets some leniency for a genuine mistake.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    I'd just like to point out to everyone that it's probably a little late to give OP advice, given this thread was started five years ago.

I think overall it was probably fair enough for the mother to complain. Paracetamol is very dangerous if you take too much of it. On the other hand, if the child looked 16... if a 16 year old can be trusted to know that you have to read the packet before taking medicines, any child who looks 16 can also be trusted to know that, I imagine. The real issue is actual young children getting their hands on it.
    You're right, she's probably a qualified pharmacist by now..

ReputationRep:
    Why has a five year old thread been brought back from the grave? :beard:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howbeit)
    Why has a five year old thread been brought back from the grave? :beard:
    New members don't read dates.

I genuinely do not know how they come across old threads like this, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    New members don't read dates.

I genuinely do not know how they come across old threads like this, though.
    Bloody noobs! :bhangra:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 20, 2015
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.