Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've been set on medicine since I was in year nine. I still considered other options but I became more sure of medicine by year 11. I enjoyed every second of my work experience on the wards and became so excited about the thought of studying medicine. When the application cycle began, I pretty much felt every emotion but i still had a passion for medicine. Even this past summer, my feelings never subsided, I was still pumping with adrenaline.

So weeks after results day and after everything became finalised and I realised that I am actually really going to study medicine it seems like my excitement has mellowed. This sounds weird but I watch shows like Holby City and I see those F1 medical students and I can never imagine myself being able to do that. How will I know what's wrong with a patient? What if I'm the student who gets it all wrong - the idiotic medical student who shouldn't be a doctor? Then I realise that medical school trains you and I just have to work hard.

I used to be able to see myself being a good junior doctor but now I can't even imagine myself doing an OSCE exam. I just don't understand why all of a sudden I feel this way. It's like all my excitement about medicine and being a doctor (if I graduate) has weirdly vanished.

When I hear news about genes being discovered that are linked to a certain disease or something, I get really excited. Genes and research excite me a lot and I wonder if I can go into (genetic) research with an MBBS degree? Or I'd love to be the embryologists that carry out pre-implantation genetic diagnosis or those who fertilise eggs during IVF.

Maybe it's just nerves about freshers week and everything, as I haven't even moved in yet let alone started the course but I just feel like I was climbing towards the top of the mountain, reached the peak unexpectedly and found that there's nothing there and I can only go down now.

:confused:

ReputationRep:
    WHAT IS YOUR QUESTION?
    are you saying u've gotten in2 medicine and are having 2nd thoughts???

ReputationRep:
    Give it a shot before you decide. Until you try, you'll never know.

ReputationRep:
    Holby City? :hmmm:

ReputationRep:
    fyi

at least watch house or grey's anatomy or something half decent.

:p:

ReputationRep:
    OMG uve got into Medicine and NOW ure having second thoughts?

You seem very keen and enthusiastic about it, and I think all thats left now is a bit of confidence.
    Give it a go and as you said, WORK YO BUTT OFF I'm telling you, there are SO many people who would love t be in ure place atm, one of them being me :P

Good luck, and dont worry! :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    I think you're just scared and nervous. Everyone on the course is used to getting brilliant grades so no-one is the 'idiot student'. I think it'll build back up for you but for now I think it's the nerves. It's not like you'd drop it now that you've worked so hard to get here. You're not at the point, so just think that you'll be doing what you've always want to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 786girl)
    WHAT IS YOUR QUESTION?
    are you saying u've gotten in2 medicine and are having 2nd thoughts???
    (Original post by hidden_desire)
    OMG uve got into Medicine and NOW ure having second thoughts?
    no offense but i don't think either of you are in a position to be so judgemental having never even been through the entire application process...

ReputationRep:
    It sounds like "cold feet", just stick with it OP! You'll find friends, enjoy your course and slowly be taught how to deal with all the things you are afraid of. I wish you the best of luck! The university wouldn't of let you in if they thought you couldn't do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John Locke)
    no offense but i don't think either of you are in a position to be so judgemental having never even been through the entire application process...

O M G :eek:

judgemental???!
    Goodness. I dont know whether u read the rest of my post or not, but I was being anything but that.
    And getting through the entire application process was my point exactly.
    What I was trying to say was that having come so far and having worked so hard, you shouldnt give up because ure worried u wont do well.

If you still find what i'm saying judgemental..... then theres nothing i can do about that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hidden_desire)
    O M G :eek:

judgemental???!
    Goodness. I dont know whether u read the rest of my post or not, but I was being anything but that.
    And getting through the entire application process was my point exactly.
    What I was trying to say was that having come so far and having worked so hard, you shouldnt give up because ure worried u wont do well.

If you still find what i'm saying judgemental..... then theres nothing i can do about that
    that particular line certainly seemed it, granted perhaps i tarred you with the same brush as 786girl too readily.

ReputationRep:
    Holby City. Seriously?

ReputationRep:
    Maybe it's just nerves?
    Stick with it

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.