Turn on thread page Beta

University Entry Requirements watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi everybody

I am looking to apply for university next year on a finance/accounting related course at either trent university or nottingham university

My qualifications at present are:

10 gcse's A-C, with maths english and science all at B.

I have NVQ levels 2 and 3 in electro-technology

I have also completed the open university certificate in accounting

will hopefully also have completed AAT level 3 by september next year.

I am currently 22 years old and have the choice of pursuing the professional accounting qualifcations, with possibly CIMA or ACCA or applying for university to pursue a degree through a mature student route.

Out of the 2 options i would prefer to go for a degree, but am unsure as to weather i would get accepted as i have no A levels, i do however have 18 months accounting related work experience with my local government which may go in my favour.

Would applying for either nottingham uni or trent uni be a waste of time due to lack of A levels and possibly high competition? Any advice on the matter is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joker22)
    I am currently 22 years old and have the choice of pursuing the professional accounting qualifcations, with possibly CIMA or ACCA or applying for university to pursue a degree through a mature student route.
    I have a friend who runs an accountancy firm. She tells me that her firm would far rather employ someone who has taken the traditional route of professional exams with experience than someone who has taken an accountancy degree. I suspect it may be a cheaper option as well.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply

I am aware that some employers value the professional recognition more than they do degrees.

I am plannin on completing the professional qualifcations sooner or later, but would prefer to have a degree under my belt before i do.

ReputationRep:
    the only way you will find out is by asking the admissions tutors at any unis you are considering.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hypocriticaljap)
    the only way you will find out is by asking the admissions tutors at any unis you are considering.
    Cheers for that ill send a few emails off tomorrow!

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.