Turn on thread page Beta

Practical Test tomorrow : 28/09/2010 in an Automatic watch

ReputationRep:
    Good Afternoon all,

Well the dreaded moment of truth has arrived.

Tomorrow is the day of my test, im excited but bloody nervous!!

As im sure you have all see from the Thread topic, I am learning to drive an Automatic.

So far I have found them to be excellent, I have felt so much more comfortable in them than a Manual, I'm sure I will get criticised for this, but end of the day if you are nervous, like me I will admit, and want to learn quickly, they are the best options!!

I have had so far only 20 hours of tuition and I feel test ready!!

I shall report back when the hell is over and done with!!

Thanks all

ReputationRep:
    Good luck!! I'm dreading having to sit my practical

ReputationRep:
    lol automatic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WILSON92)
    Good Afternoon all,

Well the dreaded moment of truth has arrived.

Tomorrow is the day of my test, im excited but bloody nervous!!

As im sure you have all see from the Thread topic, I am learning to drive an Automatic.

So far I have found them to be excellent, I have felt so much more comfortable in them than a Manual, I'm sure I will get criticised for this, but end of the day if you are nervous, like me I will admit, and want to learn quickly, they are the best options!!

I have had so far only 20 hours of tuition and I feel test ready!!

I shall report back when the hell is over and done with!!

Thanks all
    you cant learn quickly if u rush it u will fail

ReputationRep:
    Good Luck.

Just remember that you can't drive a manual afterwards. You're severely limited to automatic cars unless they changed it.

Revving before changing gears ftw!

ReputationRep:
    I vehemently disagree on what you say about automatics being "the best option" unless you have some kind of disability or other serious problem which prevents you from being able to drive a manual car.

But other than that irrelevant debate, best of luck and I hope you pass! :top:

ReputationRep:
    lmao automatic, what's the fun in that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jkmm91)
    lmao automatic, what's the fun in that?
    So you think you can't enjoy driving unless you operate the gears yourself? I completely disagree. I hate changing gears manually and find it a real chore. Modern automatics are much more efficient and superior to how they used to be. Also, when you don't have to constantly change gear you can keep both hands on the wheel, so safer in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Did you pass?

ReputationRep:
    Morning all,

I did pass, and thanks to all for the kind message's of support.

To hose who seem to 'slate' Automatics, to be perfectly honest, I couldn't give to flying monkeys what you guys think, If I feel more confident and happy driving an auto, so be it, my examiner even agreed with me and thats why he has driven auto's for most of his life.

And honestly, most of the time, the young lads/lasses who crash their cars are normally in manual cars!!! Thanks to them that insurance is so bloody high!!

Thanks again to all who gave kind messages and I wish you all happy and safe driving!!

ReputationRep:
    Maybe one day you'll get round to driving a real car, milk floats are nice but just aint as pleasurable as a car.

ReputationRep:
    Morning all,

To hose who seem to 'slate' Automatics, to be perfectly honest, I couldn't give to flying monkeys what you guys think, If I feel more confident and happy driving an auto, so be it, my examiner even agreed with me and thats why he has driven auto's for most of his life.

And honestly, most of the time, the young lads/lasses who crash their cars are normally in manual cars!!! Thanks to them that insurance is so bloody high!!

Thanks again to all who gave kind messages and I wish you all happy and safe driving!!
    Well done!

Out of interest, which foot do you use to brake? And were you taught to do that or were you given the choice?

I wonder because most of the automatic-drivers I know, who are perhaps biased because they once drove manual cars, use their right foot.

ReputationRep:
    Well done!

Out of interest, which foot do you use to brake? And were you taught to do that or were you given the choice?

I wonder because most of the automatic-drivers I know, who are perhaps biased because they once drove manual cars, use their right foot.
    Thank you,

I use my right foot, I was told by my instructors to keep your left leg free, but I suppose it is out of choice also.

Maybe one day you'll get round to driving a real car, milk floats are nice but just aint as pleasurable as a car
    This is what I am talking about, I get quite frustrated when people often refer to Automatics as 'Go karts'.

An automatic transmission is without a shadow of a doubt easier, I accept that, Yes maybe I opted for the easy option, but they are still CARS!!

Plus, My dad who is Disabled drives an Auto. he even drove an Auto before he became disabled!! Is that a problem? :mad:

It's not so much driving an automatic, although it's not something I'll ever do because I'd fall asleep through boredom, but restricting yourself to automatic cars for the rest of your life sounds stupid. There's no learning involved, you have a go pedal and a stop pedal. Do the manual test and drive autos if you want, but at least then you always have the option to go back to manual. There's so much more choice when it comes to buying cars if you have a manual license.

ReputationRep:
    More and more cars are becoming automatic. Technology has advanced a lot which means some automatics are even more efficient than manuals. And as traffic increases on our roads each year, constantly changing gear will become a drag. I don't think it will be many more years before automatics become the more popular choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loz957)
    Technology has advanced a lot which means some automatics are even more efficient than manuals
    Examples??

I really don't see why there is the option for an able bodied person to sit an automatic test. It means you can't drive the majority of cars on the road, and changing gears in the first place is not a demanding task...

I don't have a problem with people driving automatics after they pass, but why would anyone restrict themselves in such a way?

ReputationRep:
    Morning all,

Well done! If your happy driving an automatic then drive an automatic!

ReputationRep:

I wish you happy and safe driving too, and congrats on passing your test.

But what is in bold above is based on entirely fallacious logic. The young lads/lasses who are 'high-risk', as insurers would have them down, are high-risk because of their socio-economic status and sub-culture which encourages fast and reckless driving (ie. chavs).

Such people are actually competent drivers and so drive manual cars, but they do not drive with caution so as a statistic, are more likely to crash.

It's like saying little old women are the best drivers because they cause the fewest accidents. Well, they are not on that basis, as the reason they cause the fewest accidents is because they spend very little time on the road (the more you drive, the greater opportunity of crashing obviously), they usually follow the same, steady and safe route, and they drive at the slowest speeds. The same applies for drivers of automatics which is why they cause fewer accidents, again as a statistic applied to the whole.

Correlation does not amount to causation! In other words, just because automatic drivers have fewer accidents you cannot attribute this to not having to handle the gears - it is because they aren't (and I hate to use this chiché) "proper" motorists in many more senses of the word than just the application and use of the clutch and gear stick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1992LP)
    Examples??

I really don't see why there is the option for an able bodied person to sit an automatic test. It means you can't drive the majority of cars on the road, and changing gears in the first place is not a demanding task...

I don't have a problem with people driving automatics after they pass, but why would anyone restrict themselves in such a way?
    Just thought I'd say, the DSG, SMG etc variants of the dual clutch automatics used by Audi, BMW, VW, Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini etc change gear faster than you can manually.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paranoid//Android)
    Just thought I'd say, the DSG, SMG etc variants of the dual clutch automatics used by Audi, BMW, VW, Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini etc change gear faster than you can manually.
    Very good marketing, and may make a little bit of difference on a race track, but exactly how much of a difference does it make in the real world?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: October 3, 2010
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.