Turn on thread page Beta

Technocracy: When your country is ruled by scientists watch

ReputationRep:
    What would happen when the government in your country made up of scientists? Your PM is a science graduate, your local MP has degree in Natural Science etc etc

Discuss what will happen to the new government and economics policies, legislation, education, fashion and price of coffee. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Firstly weed would be legalized, secondly people probably wouldn't make such hideous grammatical errors in the thread title, since the scientists would realize the benefits of universal well-rounded education.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJ_Black)
    Firstly weed would be legalized, secondly people probably wouldn't make such hideous grammatical errors in the thread title, since the scientists would realize the benefits of universal well-rounded education.
    Would that be English or American universal education? :p:

ReputationRep:
    scientists can be tools too

ReputationRep:
    The country would be in serious trouble as there would be no one qualified to run it.

ReputationRep:
    They wouldn't be getting much science done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manthew)
    What would happen when the government in your country made up of scientists? Your PM is a science graduate, your local MP has degree in Natural Science etc etc

Discuss what will happen to the new government and economics policies, legislation, education, fashion and price of coffee. :p:
    One possible side effects is that you may suddenly be able to write subject lines that make sense

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    I was partly brought up in the US and Canada, so my spelling is variably British, Canadian or American depending on which socks I'm wearing and other such factors of that nature.

So today American, but essentially irrelevant since they're nothing but superficial conventions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manthew)

Most of the so-called "terrible drugs" would be legalised. People would be educated how scientific studies show they'd learn best, as well as discipline in the classroom (very few education and discipline policies in schools actually listen to what scientific studies say is best)

I wouldn't say just science is important though, I'd say philosophy has an important place. It would be good if we had an utilitarian government.

A government dictated solely by science wouldn't be understood easily by the ignorant public who think they know best. However it would be my idea of an utopia.

ReputationRep:
    Dinosaurs would come back and eat you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tumpelo)
    The country would be in serious trouble as there would be no one qualified to run it.
    Because doing an arts degree qualifies you to run a country? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully they'd have a backbone and say to the religious, no we won't bend over for you because your story has no more validity than Jack and the Beanstalk.

ReputationRep:
    I think all goverments are corrupt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    z is as English a usage as s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robob)
    Because doing an arts degree qualifies you to run a country? :confused:
    Everyone in our current government did an arts degree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x-friends)
    I think all goverments are corrupt.
    I think you are right.

We are not even run by the people we think we are run by.. they are just puppets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tumpelo)
    Everyone in our current government did an arts degree?
    That's not my point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robob)
    That's not my point.
    So make your point instead of beating around the being aukward for no reason bush.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spetznaaz)
    I think you are right.

We are not even run by the people we think we are run by.. they are just puppets.
    I still imagine Lord Mandelson ruling the country in an emperor ming costume. It haunts my dreams... >.>

ReputationRep:
    Well they'd be really efficient but they're gonna get some major bad rep for not listening to the ignorant plebs who think they know best. Also the government wouldn't afraid of trimming the fat even if it means putting certain needy people out of jobs shutting down certain unions etc as they'd see in the long run it was beneficial.

To summarise - efficient & productive but hated by the people.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.