Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

"'Perpetual resits' distorting A-levels says AQA Chief." watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philosopher-of-sorts)
    But seriously, I think 75% A2 and 25% AS with one resit is a good idea. It means

a) People get the kick up the ass that AS can serve as (and did for myself)
    b) You take some of the pressure off AS and give people more of a 'settling in' period
    c) You can differentiate between candidates better as they can't repeatedly resit their marks higher
    This.

Although on the other hand, I'm a studious and able student, yet didn't do as well at AS because I wasn't prepared for the jump after GCSE. AS exams just seem to serve solely as a kick up the backside. If it wasn't for resits of those exams, I wouldn't have done nearly as well in the long run, and my true potential as a student would not have shown through.
    The other point is that for History, my course was totally new, and as a result even my teachers weren't 100% sure what the examiners wanted. Nobody in my class got higher than a B, despite working really really hard! It wasn't that we weren't good at History, just that we were treated as guinea pigs. Consequently, I'm resitting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whisperings)
    This.

Although on the other hand, I'm a studious and able student, yet didn't do as well at AS because I wasn't prepared for the jump after GCSE. AS exams just seem to serve solely as a kick up the backside. If it wasn't for resits of those exams, I wouldn't have done nearly as well in the long run, and my true potential as a student would not have shown through.
    The other point is that for History, my course was totally new, and as a result even my teachers weren't 100% sure what the examiners wanted. Nobody in my class got higher than a B, despite working really really hard! It wasn't that we weren't good at History, just that we were treated as guinea pigs. Consequently, I'm resitting.
    I had the same thing! In my English Lit specification it explicitely stated that "students are not expected to quote from critics", so our teacher never told us about it. Then, some dicks somewhere loaded their essays with critics and so pushed the quality of everyone else's down, and I got a C for that exam. Complete scam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mann18)
    No source because it's in The Times, if you care enough, go and buy today's it's on page 3.

I'm unsure about copyright here, so I'll paraphrase and assume that's fine :p:

Thoughts?
    wait, wait... let me get this straight...
    you're on the internet and you're genuinely worried about breaking copyright? LOL! :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    The irony here being that AQA themselves are the reason I've had to resit in the past.

Twice now I've gotten a paper back, gone through it with a teacher and them literally sit there flabbergasted as to why I didn't get 10+ more marks, have then paid for a remark and have AQA send the result back the next day with no change.

That's negligence. They're a law unto themselves and until they're willing to actually take when when going through the papers and mark them more on a paper by paper basis with marks being awarded for intelligent, correct answers, even if it isn't exactly what is in the mark scheme, then resits will have to continue.

ReputationRep:
    why does it matter if you resit, if you get an A, you had the knowledge to get an A, regardless of how many tmes it took you to get there, its ridiculous that this new proposal is being considered. If you were the ones who were going to have to practice this new proposal, im sure you all would be saying different things. But thank god im in year 13, so I will get away with it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MALIK HAMID)
    wait, wait... let me get this straight...
    you're on the internet and you're genuinely worried about breaking copyright? LOL! :laugh:
    With my looks, my anal virginity wouldn't last 30 seconds in prison

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IlexAquifolium)
    I don't see why resits are so sacrosanct. You can't resit at university unless you fail (then it's capped at a pass) or if you, again, have severe mitigating circumstances. :dontknow: Likewise people don't seem to resit GCSEs...but it's like there's this untouchable right to sit A level papers as much as you want.
    this, it's seriously silly the situations some people are in now where they're doing 3, maybe 4 re-sits

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slacker07906)
    why does it matter if you resit, if you get an A, you had the knowledge to get an A, regardless of how many tmes it took you to get there, its ridiculous that this new proposal is being considered. If you were the ones who were going to have to practice this new proposal, im sure you all would be saying different things. But thank god im in year 13, so I will get away with it
    Well, I resat 2 A2 papers, but would have got As without them.

Did better in the resits than my original ones with no revision, and 6 months in between learning about them initially.

OCR are a joke, they care more about HOW you say something rather than content. I knew more in my first sitting than my second undoubtedly, but simply by saying what they wanted to hear I got 100%

AQA I can't fault, they always seem to be on the ball. My resit of BIOL4 only went up 3 marks, and that was purely because there were no shrew questions :p:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I agree with the AQA chief on this one, perhas limit to one resit in special circumstances (illness, family tragedy etc)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Iche)
    I do agree with there being a cap on the number of times a student should be allowed to resit. But making exams at the end of two years sounds like a recipe for disaster really...we'd just learn a lot less and cram a lot more.
    Exactly

ReputationRep:
    What about having two exams one at the end AS and one at end of A2 with one retake of the AS exam in January or March of A2?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whisperings)
    This.

Same here. I did little work at AS, and got ABCD. With resits, I know that I can get at least AAA now that I am doing the work.

I think that it should be capped at one resit barring extenuating circumstances though.

ReputationRep:
    I hate the whole idea of resits. I took none, yet people who resat the AS exams 3 times got the same grades as me. It should be like "Tough ****, you failed the first time, no second chances".
    I do think people should be able to retake the whole year, however. That should be the only second chance IMO.
    There should be some extenuating circumstances, though, like if you get cancer or something.

ReputationRep:
    As a resitter myself, I agree that there should be a limit. For whatever reason, whether it be lack of motivation, crap teaching, being a waster, many dont really put in the effort the first time around and so therefore dont show their true potential (well potential as much as A levels can possibley show it.) People either realise the importance or realise that their current educational establishment isnt right for them and so should be allowed a second chance.

If it requires a second sitting without an excuse, then maybe something is up and that the individual should learn by being forced to take a harder, longer path to Uni to ensure that they do mature enough to put in the effort required of them.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure a "no resit" policy would work with the current exam system.

Eg, we have January and June modules. Some people might just try and "risk" an exam in January on the off-chance that they get a good grade. I could only see a "no retake" system being fair if all AS exams were taken in June, and then all A2 exams being taken in the following June.

Alternatively, under the current system, you could be allowed to resit an AS January exam the following June, but not after that. And you could be allowed to resit an A2 January exam the following June. That would also be fair IMO.

(Also, I think the current 50:50 split between AS and A2 is pretty fair.)

ReputationRep:
    No resits without extenuating circumstances. People will learn to work straight away once they realise they don't get a second chance. And yeah, weight more towards A2.

ReputationRep:
    There is a huge resit attitude in my 6th form and many others, going into year 12 all the year 13s tell you ''Have fun in year 12, you can always resit next year'' and I think that attitude needs to be got rid of. However I don't completely agree with resits being banned fully, schools should just be stricter when it comes to entering people. The schools should really be able to determine who genuinely had a bad one off exam or those who just didn't do the work and enter people on that basis (no idea how that would work entirely though). I'm doing three resits but then I was ill in the one exam which had quite a knock on effect for the two the following morning and I'd definitely rather not be resitting, I'm working my hardest already towards these resits purely out of fear of forgetting the content and what not.

I don't agree with the weighting being changed either unless the step from AS to A2 was made greater to reflect it.

ReputationRep:
    thank god it wont affect me ...

ReputationRep:
    I'm for 1 resit, any more is just stupid. I also agree with the less weighting given to AS levels, that 50% of my ALevel is determined by (in most schools) the amount of work I put in during the first year is stupid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mann18)
    I also think that it disadvantages the poor too.
    The more affulent amongst us can afford to pay to resit an exam an infinite amount of times, but some would struggle to find the spare cash to do it once.

Awarding bodies are really just businesses.
    come on its not that expensive, i payed for my resit with my wages.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.