Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Title says it all, really. Lots of people smoke tobacco and weed. Why? Sure you get a high but is it worth the money and health risks/long term effects?

ReputationRep:
    Must people's diets and activity levels are far, far more harmful than getting high every so often. It's not that expensive. It's fun.

ReputationRep:
    I think the fact it is so widely seen in films and on TV (I'm thinking Seth Rogen haha, love that guy) makes it seem socially acceptable. Coupled with the fact it is relatively cheap and easy to come by and of course people are going to have a cheeky smoke.

Frankly though, it isn't *that* great unless you get some really good stuff and even then the inexperienced smoker will quickly find themselves whiteying (and as an aside, not that harmful either, I would argue alcohol is a far far worse drug both in terms of personal and social damage).

ReputationRep:
    weed has never, in the history of its usage, killed anyone. the only effects of weed is happiness, sleepiness and hunger... wits so bad about that?

everyone will smoke weed at sum point in their uni life and whether you enjoy it or not is up to u.

personally, ah love weed. every night out where we've smoked weed beforehand has been ******* epic. the banter before the night out clubbing is incredible.

ReputationRep:
    It's the equilibrium of not being illegal enough so there's a decent chance of prosecution and being caught, but still being illegal enough so it's a rebellious thing to do.

ReputationRep:
    Why do people drink? It's just something that alters your state of reality for a bit and removes you for a bit of relaxation time.

I personally dont smoke it any more coz the nice effects stopped happening and I got the horrible ones. But for those who have smoked for just a couple of years, as it was for me it was generally a good, giggly, munchy, unifying experience.

Tobacco isnt enjoyable per se. It's just addiction really. Slightly calming and gives you a reason to slack off at work and have a few minutes to yourself.

ReputationRep:
    People can't have fun/relax being themselves so they have to get drunk/high......

ReputationRep:
    Weed is awesome. It's not that expensive. Cheaper than going to a pub and getting a few pints anyway.
    Vast majority of people who have something bad to say about weed have never tried it.
    It relaxes you, puts you in a good mood. Admittedly, I did become a bit paranoid once or twice but I know what causes it - when I smoke with people I don't know. Otherwise not a single issue. It's miles better than alcohol IMO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revolution is my Name)
    It's the equilibrium of not being illegal enough so there's a decent chance of prosecution and being caught, but still being illegal enough so it's a rebellious thing to do.
    This.

ReputationRep:
    Weed has little to no health effects (unless you smoke like 2kg a day or something ridiculous) and it's easy to get hold of, isn't that illegal, and makes you feel fine. Plus 'normal' things you consume such as fast food, microwave food, and alcohol are far worse for you than weed so you can't really say anything in that respect.

ReputationRep:
    That said, it can cause depression. And paranoia. This is why I stopped. And obviously you can get lung cancer, just as you would by smoking if you smoke for years and years. But to be honest, most drugs have side effects. Even prescription ones...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SatanIsAwesome)
    People can't have fun/relax being themselves so they have to get drunk/high......
    who said being fun is being yourself?

people employ an external means to having fun, such as playing football or watchin films.

so then, whats so wrong with people drinking and smoking?

most people drink and smoke in large company, giving birth to outrageous banter, stupid ideas, great chat and philosophical musings.

most people who drink and smoke have fun without alcohol and weed anyway.

so. your high horse. get off it.

ReputationRep:
    smoking weed makes you cool.

FACT!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brian_lawd)
    who said being fun is being yourself?
    If you can't have fun as yourself then you're incredibly boring or stupid.

people employ an external means to having fun, such as playing football or watchin films.

so then, whats so wrong with people drinking and smoking?
    You can't compare activities like football and watching movies with drinking and drugs, the latter affect your senses/perceptions.

most people drink and smoke in large company, giving birth to outrageous banter, stupid ideas, great chat and philosophical musings.
    Like I said if you can't do that without drink or drugs then you're either very boring or not very smart.

most people who drink and smoke have fun without alcohol and weed anyway.
    Only in certain situations, they have to drink/take drugs to have fun at other times.

so. your high horse. get off it.
    Maybe if you replied with proper grammar and a good solid argument, I wouldn't even be that bothered if you just used capitals.....

ReputationRep:
    Relieves the stress. Mixing it with alcohol before clubbing is bangin aswell.

ReputationRep:
    Watch harold and kumar get the munchies...... enough said

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sinadoom)
    Title says it all, really. Lots of people smoke tobacco and weed. Why? Sure you get a high but is it worth the money and health risks/long term effects?
    Why do people watch twilight? Why do people listen to justin beiber and deadmou5.

Because people are ******* stupid, that's why.

ReputationRep:
    Weed is popular cos it makes your penis grow.

ReputationRep:
    Carl Segen smoked weed, and is generally regarded as one of the world's smartest men.

You can't compare activities like football and watching movies with drinking and drugs, the latter affect your senses/perceptions.
    Yes you can. Doing something enjoyable alters the neurochemicals in your brain. Besides, comedy films can affect ones perceptions. Have you ever come away from watching something funny, and thus laughing at unconnecte stimuli that you would not have previously found amusing?

Like I said if you can't do that without drink or drugs then you're either very boring or not very smart.
    So say if it was established that the man in question exhibited extraordinary intellectual skill. He then, to take the pressure of somewhat, and took up occasionally smoking marijuana. He is now stupid? Why? Sounds more like a labeling thing to me.

No offence but I daresay many would view someone like you as more boring then an individual who tries out new expiriences.

Alcohol has a liberating effect. One does not feel bound by the social oppression that is everywhere in our daily lives, when drunk. True, they should perhaps learn to boast more confidence, so such a liberated feeling appears from within rather from something external, but all of us are guilty of seeking temproary solutions to our problems because they are quick to administer.

ReputationRep:

Only in certain situations, they have to drink/take drugs to have fun at other times.

Maybe if you replied with proper grammar and a good solid argument, I wouldn't even be that bothered if you just used capitals.....
    1. one might argue being yourself is smoking and drinking, on occasion or otherwise. hallucinogenics and alcohol have pretty much been as one with human nature since the dawn of civilisation.

2. playing football and watching films can affect your sense and perceptions. what about adrenaline and euphoria? what about the emotions you feel while watching a film, as normal or extreme as they may be.

3. its funnier with drink and drugs.

4. well, as long as your acknowledging that they can do it at certain times without drugs or alcohol, its pretty much counter-acting your argument.

5. oh no, ah never used proper punctuation or grammar...

Am I safe? Are the grammar police monitoring me right now, ready to ambush my halls? Are they going to break into my room and beat me with a truncheon that has 'I shall not anger prepubescent ******** that think they're cooler than everybody else because they can spell' etched into it so it leaves behind an incipient reminder on my skin to remind me off my folly?

ps. i just had a peak out my curtains. i dont think theres anyone there.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.