Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everybody,
    I'm an Italian dentist, just graduated with the highest vote of my country. I'm interested in OMS specialty and I've read that in your country is possible achieve the CCT and the medical degree as well. Is it true? and if so, how could I do?
    Kind regards
    Andrea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ballo86)
    Hi everybody,
    I'm an Italian dentist, just graduated with the highest vote of my country. I'm interested in OMS specialty and I've read that in your country is possible achieve the CCT and the medical degree as well. Is it true? and if so, how could I do?
    Kind regards
    Andrea.
    I wish I could help you. all I can say is that a good family friend is a Consultant OMS surgeon at Guys and St Thomas' and I work shadowed him for a week. It's a fantastic career you're looking at.

ReputationRep:
    I'm fairly sure that to do oral and maxillofacial surgery you need a degree in dentistry and a degree in medicine before you can train. So you'd have to do a 4/5 year medical degree before you could go on to do the job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vertigo.0012)
    I'm fairly sure that to do oral and maxillofacial surgery you need a degree in dentistry and a degree in medicine before you can train. So you'd have to do a 4/5 year medical degree before you could go on to do the job.
    Considering she's a dentist I think she'll be ok.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hantheman)
    Considering she's a dentist I think she'll be ok.
    Nope, both degrees are required.

http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/special...-surgery.shtml

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Organ)
    Nope, both degrees are required.

http://www.nhscareers.nhs.uk/special...-surgery.shtml
    Which is the basis of her question. She wants to know about getting involved in the qualifications.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hantheman)
    Which is the basis of her question. She wants to know about getting involved in the qualifications.
    Like so: http://www.kcl.ac.uk/schools/medicin...entry/max.html

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if this is what you mean but Kings offer this course:

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/prospectus/unde...printable/true

ReputationRep:
    "Domestic to room 195!"

Right;
    As is obvious, you need to dual qualify. The normal way to do it in this country is to proceed up the dental career ladder to MaxFax SHO posts, maybe junior Reg, get the MJDF and then take a medical degree. However, there are other options and TTBOMK there's no requirement to do any specific dental jobs.

Although GKT advertise a MaxFax entry course most, if not all, medical schools will do this on application. It's typically a three year course, almost entirely clinical.

After that you would need to enter the Foundation Program as a first year doctor and then work your way up the surgical career path into a MaxFax job. Along the way your would need to pick up your MRCS and FRCS (MaxFax). However, competition at this stage is stiff and you might easily end up working in a non-max fax surgical job.

However, remember that there's the Oral Surgery route which is still Dental only.

http://www.baoms.org.uk/page.asp?id=50

ReputationRep:
    Ty everybody, You have been very very kind and useful!
    I'm going to read all of those website and I hope I'll have a clear idea of the pathway.
    Ty very much again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    "Domestic to room 195!"

Right;
    As is obvious, you need to dual qualify. The normal way to do it in this country is to proceed up the dental career ladder to MaxFax SHO posts, maybe junior Reg, get the MJDF and then take a medical degree. However, there are other options and TTBOMK there's no requirement to do any specific dental jobs.

Although GKT advertise a MaxFax entry course most, if not all, medical schools will do this on application. It's typically a three year course, almost entirely clinical.

After that you would need to enter the Foundation Program as a first year doctor and then work your way up the surgical career path into a MaxFax job. Along the way your would need to pick up your MRCS and FRCS (MaxFax). However, competition at this stage is stiff and you might easily end up working in a non-max fax surgical job.

However, remember that there's the Oral Surgery route which is still Dental only.

http://www.baoms.org.uk/page.asp?id=50
    Hi Renal, I graduated from dentistry in July, and want to go down the maxfax route too. Someone referred me to that post which has been quite useful. I've been trying to find a medical school that will allow me to do a 3yr graduate medical course but none of them state on their website that they do this, and it is not on UCAS either. Do you have any idea of which universities do the 3yr medical course for dentists, or how I am meant to get onto it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by funkyfairy87)
    Hi Renal, I graduated from dentistry in July, and want to go down the maxfax route too. Someone referred me to that post which has been quite useful. I've been trying to find a medical school that will allow me to do a 3yr graduate medical course but none of them state on their website that they do this, and it is not on UCAS either. Do you have any idea of which universities do the 3yr medical course for dentists, or how I am meant to get onto it?
    Send an email out to all of them and see who replies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    Send an email out to all of them and see who replies
    I've done that, just waiting for responses now

ReputationRep:
    Are there any 3 year Dentistry courses for Med graduates?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JONNYCMW)
    I don't believe that there are, firstly, it's relatively unusual for people to go from medicine to dentistry, and second, the dentistry course is much more integrated than medicine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JONNYCMW)
    Yes there are... Kings college london do a 3yr dentistry course for medics, but i dont know the details. I came across it whilst trying to find a 3yr medical course for dentists

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 10, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.