Turn on thread page Beta

how long did it take you to get over your long term ex ? watch

ReputationRep:
    Only had one other r/ship before this one that lasted over 2 years - took me 6 months to get over him and I only managed it by finding someone new and infinitely superior . . . and who I broke up with a year later >.<

Hey ho, I'm happy now.

It was relatively easy to get over the first guy because he was a total ********. It wasn't like I was always wishing we were back together or something.

ReputationRep:
    With a guy for 18 months, broke up suddenly - 3 years on and I am over him, but I'm not over the relationship we had. Overall, to get over solely him, it must have took at another 18 months

I think it depends on the circumstances that you broke up under as well. I mean, if you're constantly arguing maybe you've accepted that the relationship has had time to fail, and have had your own time to grieve. I say this because i broke up with someone after two years of being with them, and felt nothing. I had fond memories, but i wasn't upset, i just felt more 'free' from the relationship. However, i've been broken up with before by someone who i'd only known for five months, but things seemed to be perfect and we really liked each other, but realised we hadn't the time for anything serious (as it was quite long distance). That took more time for me to get over, i think.

ReputationRep:
    5 years together and got over it in a bout 1 1/2 months.

ReputationRep:
    3 years since I split with her, never really got over being cheated on.

ReputationRep:
    I was with her for 4 years- we finished it about 6 weeks ago. I'm well over it now- to be fair it's helped that I've moved to a different country for work, so am kept very busy and there's no chance of seeing her! I reckon i was over it about 3 weeks after the breakup, maybe less :p: You'll get there! If you wanna chat, PM :-)

Also, I say 'dude' in real life a lot, haha!

ReputationRep:
    Was with someone for two and a half years, we split up in December but carried on seeing each other until May. I'm nowhere near over him.

ReputationRep:
    We were together 18 months, took me a year to get over him.

ReputationRep:
    yah so really dudez do you think a geezer who has come out of a 6 year relationship 6 months ago will want to go into a new r ship with some hot girl at work, who doesnt believe in sex before marriage even though she has really hot nice boobs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shinytoy)
    yah so really dudez do you think a geezer who has come out of a 6 year relationship 6 months ago will want to go into a new r ship with some hot girl at work, who doesnt believe in sex before marriage even though she has really hot nice boobs
    No. Why would he when he can find a hot girl who does believe in sex before marriage over one who wants to get married after a year just for sex... i.e. you

I know I'd never commit to a girl like you no matter how hot you are or how nice your boobs may be but then again I know how mental you are as well.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not yet 18, but...

Broke up nearly a year ago from a 2 and a bit year relationship. Still nowhere near over it; find it difficult to talk to him, see him posting on the forums I frequent. And I was the one who initiated the breakup. No justice, heh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davezk)
    No. Why would he when he can find a hot girl who does believe in sex before marriage over one who wants to get married after a year just for sex... i.e. you

I know I'd never commit to a girl like you no matter how hot you are or how nice your boobs may be but then again I know how mental you are as well.
    but dude!! like he's about 35 and looking to get married soon. and he is eastern so they tend to perfer less experienced womens unlike in america where gals need to do Kegels to keep thir ladybits from sagging like an empty shopping bag from too many dudes by age 25

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shinytoy)
    but dude!! like he's about 35 and looking to get married soon. and he is eastern so they tend to perfer less experienced womens unlike in america where gals need to do Kegels to keep thir ladybits from sagging like an empty shopping bag from too many dudes by age 25
    Ironically there are more important things than sex... even though you've never had it you seem to put a lot of emphasis on its importance. The guy probably doesn't even like you anyway and your obsession with wanting to rush into a marriage is NOT an attractive trait.

Why don't you just do what all you hypocritical catholics do and just have sex and then confess. Your solution if you want some action shouldn't be to get married now but maybe relax your morals. You can have sex and still have a similar commitment as a marriage... that's what a caring RELATIONSHIP is.

ReputationRep:
    About six months to be fully over a three year relationship.

ReputationRep:
    I guess my experience is quite different to most on here then!

I'm 18. I started dating my ex in July 2007 - so that's like 3 years + 2 months? - and he broke up with me about three weeks ago. It was very sudden and unexpected but he just wasn't thinking of me as anything more than a friend anymore. We'd kinda slipped into friendship more than boyfriend/girlfriend, and I guess he realised sooner than I did. I'm not over him, by any stretch of the imagination, and I still care for him considerably, but after a fortnight of crying, I just want to move on with my life. I think my moving away to uni this week will help. I'm looking forward to a few months / years on my own, living for myself with few responsibilities. I'm certainly not in a place to start dating new people, and I don't think I will be for a good few months, but I'm not unhappy right now. It's helped that we've been able to stay friends and talk about things a few times since, even if it was a little difficult to adjust at first.

I guess it's different for everyone :yep:

ReputationRep:
    7 month relationship, felt fine after about a week...but I'd been waiting for a while to end it - just didn't want to upset her over exam period so I may not be a typical sample here.

ReputationRep:
    We were together for like 2 years, and it took me about 1.5 years to get over him.

Now I've realised that I'm happier without him than I ever was whilst we were together. I found a total cut-off (eg, removing his number from my phone, removing him and his friends on facebook) as the best way to cope.

Now I'm completely over him. Can't really remember why we ever got together in the first place... :rolleyes:

So maybe not long term, but it's taking me ages to get over my ex. I think the reason being I wanted to be 'friends' sooner than I was ready to, and now I don't want to stop, not because I can't or I would miss him crazy amounts, but because it would show to him that I'm still not over it, and I don't want to give him that satisfaction.

Was together for 4 months, broke up in the begining of January, didn't speak for about 5 months, now we are on speaking terms, but I find it so odd how anything he says even if it's so insignificant, it has an effect on me.

ReputationRep:
    Tell you what, sex is what I'm missing the most- says a lot about our relationship! Haha.

ReputationRep:
    Like, a day. The day after we broke up I got with my current boyfriend, and we were dating 3 months later.

Having said that, when I'm the one being dumped, it takes me years and years. I am not a good dumpee.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 29, 2010
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.