Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    It isn't my cup of tea but more than anything I feel sorry for them, having feelings like that. It's easy to sit on our high-horses and say they're sick, but can't imagine how I would cope if I was sexually attracted to a sibling.

ReputationRep:
    Wow that article really was needlessly long? They just kept repeating facts :confused:

But yeah sucks to be them

ReputationRep:
    I just don't understand why you'd want to marry your brother or sister, it freaks me out. You're much more likely to have deformed/disabled children, which is unfair on the kids!
    To be fair, these guys didn't know before, and they must be deeply in love to want to continue with the situation, but again, the kids are going to suffer if their parents end up in prison for an incestuous relationship :\

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thejonsmith)
    We can already do that legally. :fan:

In other news, today's been a good day for trolling morons. :yes:
    ooh Jonny boy :daydreaming:

The more we flirt online, the more awkward it will be if when we finally meet :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    :zomg:

ReputationRep:
    its good to have kids with downs u can knock em out innit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by agolati)
    It's true. Let's think of a world full of atheists. If one atheist wanted to have a full blown sexual relationship and even a marriage with their siblings, then, although some may think it's morally wrong, it doesn't mean anything to the atheist who wants to commit incest. Many atheists may grow to love the idea of sibling sex obviously and it could even become the default relationship mode. They think it's morally right. So yeah, anything goes.

There's no objective morality, no anchor to say woah, this is wrong.
    However there is objective science, logic and empiricism, which modally athiests tend to believe more than religious norms.

Objective science, logic and empiricism tell us that mating between two siblings, produces offspring statistically prone to genetic disorders, as well as it being very likely they will have a poor immunity to contagious diseases.

Also, 'many athiests grow to love the idea of sibling sex'? Are you ******* MAD?

'some may think it morally wrong, it doesn't mean anything to the athiest who wants to commit incest' - this is not a valid point.

I know many people athiests or of any religion for that matter, who find pedophilia to be morally abhorrent. Did the priests, these 'men of God' care? Apparently not it seems. But that's okay, because as long as they repent before they die, then they didn't do anything wrong, according to what you believe in.

Moreover, 'objective morality' is a ridiculous proposal.

'Thou shalt not kill' - what about in self-defense?
    'Thou shalt not bear false witness' - what about lying to the Nazi officer that you aren't hiding Jews in your house?

You can't go through life using Christianity as a clumsy moral stencil to be applied to everything. The world is not black and white. Each case/situation needs to judged individually, therefore subjective morality is the way to go.

ReputationRep:
    It's wrong yes, but they didn't know until they'd conceived a child - and by which point they were in love. If they'd have known before they'd met each other, it wouldn't have happened. But once you're in love; very little can change it. Even though it is naturally wrong, they weren't brought up as brother and sister. Thus, they wouldn't have constructed a normal bro/sister relationship - they met as friends. Yes, it appears disgusting that they'd marry each other knowing they were related; but as they met outside of family circumstances, it makes the situation much more understandable.

However, it's one thing to be deeply in love and have a child (accidentally) with your sister. But another to go on to have another child with her once the truth was outed. At that point, you'd have hoped they'd have taken contraceptive precautions to prevent an innocent child suffering with abnormalities because of the close genetic tie between them. They are lucky to have had one child free from problems, but the second? Also, imagine the child growing up to find that their mother and father are also their aunt and uncle! It would do serious emotional damage to the child.

I doubt very many people have been in situation similar to this though, so it's a little unfair to automatically condemn them for a relationship they entered into when ignorant of the truth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wilson_smith)
    You're pre-supposing incestuous couples will want and have children.
    Given that the point of sexual intercourse is to concieve, then it's not an unfair assumption to make is it?

ReputationRep:
    can someone please give a reason WHY its 'wrong' (lets say for arguments sake there will be no kids) instead of just saying its wrong/sick/etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sid-sy)
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...fe-abroad.html

I believe that incest is socially and religiously unacceptable? isn't it?

Guys, what do you think? :confused:
    Why is it socially and religiously unacceptable?

ReputationRep:
    why the **** do they HAVE to be irish? :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by agolati)
    Well, in terms of religion i.e Abrahamic, it is bad. But if you're an atheist, then anything goes.
    Where are you getting this information from?

ReputationRep:
    10 years later...(their kids Jack and Sally after realizing that their parents are siblings, their aunt and uncle are in fact their mom and dad, they have the same grandparents, both parents of their parents...)

Sally: "Mom, Dad, how could you DO THIS TO US???"

Mother: "Well your father was the one for me..."

Jack: "He's your SISTER for crying out loud! How sick can you get?!!"

Father: "Hey! Don't talk to your mother like that Jack!"

(family feud...)

Conclusion?

Sally: "Come on Jack, let's go kill ourselves!"

Jack: "I'm on it...which do you prefer, guns or rope?"

....... THE END of a tragic story................. -_-

But seriously! What has the world come to???? :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Choccielatte)
    Also, imagine the child growing up to find that their mother and father are also their aunt and uncle! It would do serious emotional damage to the child.
    How did you work that one out? Why on Earth would that cause 'serious' emotional damage to the child? Sounds like you just dreamt that one up.

ReputationRep:
    They're victims if anything...nobody told them they were brother and sister whilst growing up...imagine the horror when you found out. Clearly didn't bother them. But yeah...wrong..definately wrong biologically if anything, not healthy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by concubine)
    Incestral procreation is ******* wrong. I say this as a very 'liberal' person.
    Strange then how you're coming off as a bigot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stefan1991)
    How did you work that one out? Why on Earth would that cause 'serious' emotional damage to the child? Sounds like you just dreamt that one up.
    The child would grow up thinking that it's normal for siblings to do that - there's the potential for them to form inappropriate relationships with their siblings and view their parents relationship as normal. Presuming they didn't tell the child until later in life; they'd end up alienating them. If I found out my parents were brother and sister (say as a teenage or something) it would mess me up pretty badly. I'd see myself as a freak of nature and an outcast from the norms of society. I'm fairly sure it would affect others in a similarly negative way.

ReputationRep:

• CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    To me it sounds like the mother of these two people is at massive fault for this, and it's really sad. She should not have lied about the child's father, and should have made sure the real father knew of the son. :dontknow: They didn't know they were related until after their first child, and I mean, what could they have done then? Nothing. Might as well just carry on as they had before IMO. I am quite against incest but to be quite honest they were not at fault for this. And they are half siblings rather than actual siblings, which doesn't make it right but still.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 29, 2010
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.