Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K the Failure)
    Brotherly love?
    Yes that is it.
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Awwww, I do love a happy ending. :love: I expect that soon they'll be hearing the 'pitter patter THUMP!' of tiny, incestuously deformed, feet... How adorable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by agolati)
    Well, in terms of religion i.e Abrahamic, it is bad. But if you're an atheist, then anything goes.
    Hey, speak for yourself

I'm an atheist but I have standards. Marrying siblings falls outside of them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sid-sy)
    No offence to people who did reply recently on “agreeing with incest” or “incest with no children..fine” but just the feeling of having sex with my sister is sickness... I mean it’s gross and it makes me feel nauseous. It’s kinda of social stigma not to mention the religious condemnation.
    I feel the same. I kind of feel sick defending them but that's because of my social conditioning. Anyway, social stigma is BS. I mean you do know that interracial couples were socially stigmatized. You do know that in Mormonism (a religion), being black is stigmatized.

ReputationRep:
    They look happy.

ReputationRep:
    don't know why they think leaving Ireland's gonna save them the people coming after them for having an incestuous marriage. it's illegal pretty much everywhere, isn't it? People are going to find out.

ReputationRep:
    :puke: That's just nasty dawg :puke:

ReputationRep:
    Lol...so their kids are siblings and they are the parents and aunt/uncle at the same time. The kids are siblings and cousins. LOL IM CONFUSED!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 69Crazyfists)
    As long as they don't have kids :borat:
    they already have one with another on the way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annoying-Mouse)
    Because society is becoming more liberal and open-minded?
    Aye, but he seems to be inferring that a secular society will progressively lose all values. However, this isn't the case, and this isn't liberalism -- it is against virtually all forms of liberalism (especially the archetypical liberalism of J.S. Mill) to allow harm to others, which closely-relational incest has a significant probability of doing in childbirth. To be fair, I could accept arguments for the decriminalisation of merely incestuous relationships, but it's probably best (due to the fact that the vast majority of relationships are sexual ones) for the act of merely having such a relationship to be illegal. It's probably quite an unenforceable law anyway though.

(Original post by Chocothunder)
    Awwww, I do love a happy ending. :love: I expect that soon they'll be hearing the 'pitter patter THUMP!' of tiny, incestuously deformed, feet... How adorable.
    Seriously, do you have that saved in a .txt file somewhere?

ReputationRep:
    Actually, one incidence of incest doesn't inevitably lead to deformities and stuff, unless both partners are carrying genes that would lead to them.
    Now if they have a boy and a girl, and then they have kids... then it would start getting seriously ****** up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sid-sy)
    I believe that incest is socially and religiously unacceptable? isn't it?

Guys, what do you think? :confused:
    Who gives a **** about what religion says? Seriously...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dream Weaver)
    they already have one with another on the way
    Then that's not OK...
    :erm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annoying-Mouse)
    No it isn't.
    It is morally and socially unacceptable.

No it isn't.

No it isn't.
    It is religiously and socially unacceptable, actually, thats why its against the law and against most religions.
    What if your sister/brother rejects your advances. How would that feel on the person who doesn't want it. That would probably make them spiral into depression, knowing their own sibling fancies them. Its not like a random stranger liking you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jmenkus)
    Who gives a **** about what religion says? Seriously...
    I and a lot of people on this thread seem to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jismith1989)
    Aye, but he seems to be inferring that a secular society will progressively lose all values. However, this isn't the case, and this isn't liberalism -- it is against virtually all forms of liberalism (especially the archetypical liberalism of J.S. Mill) to allow harm to others, which closely-relational incest has a significant probability of doing in childbirth. To be fair, I could accept arguments for the decriminalisation of merely incestuous relationships, but it's probably best (due to the fact that the vast majority of relationships are sexual ones) for the act of merely having such a relationship to be illegal. It's probably quite an unenforceable law anyway though.
    I haven't seen any studies showing that children who are a product of an incestual relationship are significantly more prone to genetic illness, the studies I've read show it is 1-2% more probable that they suffer from a genetic condition as a result but this increases significantly if that child later has a child with his/her sibling. Then again when a woman over the age of 35 gives birth there is a greater chance of an unhealthy baby being born than if she had it ten years earlier. It's a slippery slope if you're going to outlaw incestual relationships on the grounds of genetic problems as there'd be a stronger argument to ban other relationships which could produce disabled children, e.g. older women could be banned, people who come from a family with a history of mental/physical health problems, ban overweight/obese people from having relationships and disabled people etc etc. You may as well go down the road of eugenics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJlover)
    It is religiously and socially unacceptable, actually, thats why its against the law and against most religions.
    Ah, ok. I think I misread it because in another one of my post I acknowledged that it was.

(Original post by MJlover)
    What if your sister/brother rejects your advances. How would that feel on the person who doesn't want it. That would probably make them spiral into depression, knowing their own sibling fancies them. Its not like a random stranger liking you.
    Why would you just tell someone you fancy them without knowing they fancy you? Especially when it's your siblings and you know the effects.

PS, I am guessing it was you that neg-repped me because it kind of sounds like something you would say. If so, no I wouldn't sleep with my siblings. And yes it is because of my loss of deen that I accept peoples right to do this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Choccielatte)
    The child would grow up thinking that it's normal for siblings to do that - there's the potential for them to form inappropriate relationships with their siblings and view their parents relationship as normal. Presuming they didn't tell the child until later in life; they'd end up alienating them. If I found out my parents were brother and sister (say as a teenage or something) it would mess me up pretty badly. I'd see myself as a freak of nature and an outcast from the norms of society. I'm fairly sure it would affect others in a similarly negative way.
    Wow, so are you saying gay couples shouldn't be allowed to adopt because their children would be a freak of nature and outcast from society? They'd end up thinking gay relationships are normal and become gay themselves.

Such bigoted people in TSR these days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Choccielatte)
    Incest is NOT a good thing. It is not natural, biologically or socially to have sex and children with your siblings. It's not natural for children to be exposed to an environment where they think its normal to have a sexual/romantic relationship with a sibling. It is miraculous that they have had one healthy child. Hopefully, their unborn child will be the same. But it can cause serious deformities and mental issues within their children. Ultimately, the children of incestuous couples are innocent victims who do not deserve to be tarred with the knowledge that their Mummy and Daddy are social outcasts and that they were born in unconventional circumstances. If their parents are willing enough to have a child when they know that the risk of abnormalities/defects/retardation is so high; what message does that give? It's selfish for incestuous couples to reproduce without thinking about the damage they will do to their child(ren).

Again, this is a dangerous notion. Whilst in other circumstances it is preferable to be open with children, this is not good. At a young age, they will assume its the norm and as children do, they will say "My mummy and daddy are brother and sister" to people - putting themselves at risk. I've read about other incest cases in the news; where it is common for social services to take the children born out of incest into care - because it's dangerous for the childs development to be in that environment. It is not morally RIGHT to condone incest to a child - it will destroy their sense of boundary and how they handle relationships. If they go onto have relations with their own siblings, it will be because of their parents and the reasoning will be "If Mummy and Daddy did it, it's not wrong". And the parents will not be able to object, as their actions show otherwise. Incest creates an awful environment in which to raise children: there's the potential for mental trauma and damaged social development.

It's simply immoral, repugnant and as many have said - against the laws of nature. It has been historically stigmatised and rightly so: there has never been a time in which it's been acceptable.

So you are saying, it's not MORALLY right for people to produce children out of incest because OTHER PEOPLE might persecute them? Surely it's the people persecuted and discriminating that are being immoral.

So you are also prejudiced against homosexuals because it's "against the laws of nature", wait, who put you in charge of deciding what the laws of nature are? How exactly is it against the laws of nature?

Please provide some evidence instead of making ridiculous statements like that. I am beginning to think you are a troll.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.