Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is the risk of disability of children actually considerably higher for people such as this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annoying-Mouse)
    Ah, ok. I think I misread it because in another one of my post I acknowledged that it was.

Why would you just tell someone you fancy them without knowing they fancy you? Especially when it's your siblings and you know the effects.

PS, I am guessing it was you that neg-repped me because it kind of sounds like something you would say. If so, no I wouldn't sleep with my siblings. And yes it is because of my loss of deen that I accept peoples right to do this.
    Ok, perhaps I shouldn't of negged you, that is quite rude, sorry. But my point still stands.
    Anyways, most people who like someone try to chat them up, get their number, but that would totally ruin someones life if their sibling did that. A home is a place of friendship and comfort, to allow flirting and sexual intercourse to happen between family (bar mum and dad who are married), would just ruin the concept of the 'family'. There are millions of people out there that you could have halal sexual relationships with.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    incest is disgusting. end of

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milkytea)
    Is the risk of disability of children actually considerably higher for people such as this?
    It's around 1-2% higher iirc. However this rises considerably if their parents were also siblings and rises again if their grandparents were siblings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MJlover)
    A home is a place of friendship and comfort, to allow flirting and sexual intercourse to happen between family (bar mum and dad who are married), would just ruin the concept of the 'family'. There are millions of people out there that you could have halal sexual relationships with.
    But in this case they weren't already "family". They didn't grow up together, and didn't even find out they were related until they'd already had a child together. I'm not necessarily saying incest should be widely accepted, but these people aren't weirdos who one day fancied shagging their sibling.

ReputationRep:
    Religion will soon have to conform to accept this otherwise it would be scolded against for not sheep-like following 'modern' society.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, perhaps I shouldn't of negged you, that is quite rude, sorry. But my point still stands.
    It's justified. The purpose of a neg-rep is to show your disagreement with my opinion and you have done just that.

Anyways, most people who like someone try to chat them up, get their number, but that would totally ruin someones life if their sibling did that. A home is a place of friendship and comfort, to allow flirting and sexual intercourse to happen between family (bar mum and dad who are married), would just ruin the concept of the 'family'. There are millions of people out there that you could have halal sexual relationships with.
    Exactly. I don't think any siblings would do that. I mean come on. Relationships inside foster care homes are weird and there isn't much of what you described. There are a million people out there that you could have halal relationships, but there is only one you want to have a relationship with. I would also advise you to read the psychology behind it. Also, what about genetic sexual attraction?

ReputationRep:
    To be honest it's much more socially irresponsible for people with huntingdons to have kids, but they're allowed to by law, so why not brother-sister?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annoying-Mouse)
    It's justified. The purpose of a neg-rep is to show your disagreement with my opinion and you have done just that.

Exactly. I don't think any siblings would do that. I mean come on. Relationships inside foster care homes are weird and there isn't much of what you described. There are a million people out there that you could have halal relationships, but there is only one you want to have a relationship with. I would also advise you to read the psychology behind it. Also, what about genetic sexual attraction?
    whats that?

ReputationRep:
    I nearly chocked on my lollipop when I read the thread title. Definately wrong, wrong, wrong in my opinion but then again, I do have a sister so I'm more than a little biased.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CombineHarvester)
    It's around 1-2% higher iirc. However this rises considerably if their parents were also siblings and rises again if their grandparents were siblings.
    I am pretty sure that's for first cousin relationships. That's why people compare cousin relationships to 35+ women relationships.

"It is much more likely that both parents will carry the same recessive gene if the parents are related. The risk of a serious disease or malformation in a child of such a union is about 1 in 20. However, among married first cousins, the risk increases to about 1 in 11. If the couple are first-degree relatives, the risk is 1 in 2."

http://www.healthscout.com/ency/68/219/main.html

ReputationRep:
    I was hoping this ended on Facebook...

ReputationRep:
    :lolwut: I'm sure they will have lovely children...

ReputationRep:
    whats that?

"In contrast, siblings who are raised apart sometimes develop a sexual attraction to each other when they meet later in life, developing what is known as genetic sexual attraction. Researchers on the Westermarck Effect have also found that the six year old cutoff is very important; children who are raised together after the age of six do not demonstrate the Westermarck Effect, indicating that it has to do with early childhood development."

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-...rck-effect.htm

It's basically refers to sexually attraction with regards to individuals that are genetically linked but haven't been raised together.

ReputationRep:
    In the end, it's all down to love. You can't fight the strong feeling of what love would make you do, they didn't know that they will fall in love with eachother, heck, they didn't even know that they were sibilings, so please let us all just sit here and think, think about what it is that love can make us do. Crazy, crazy things, I say, but understandable. And breatheeeeeee.

ReputationRep:
    I and a lot of people on this thread seem to do.
    It's completely irrelevant in this situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJ_Black)
    However there is objective science, logic and empiricism, which modally athiests tend to believe more than religious norms.

Objective science, logic and empiricism tell us that mating between two siblings, produces offspring statistically prone to genetic disorders, as well as it being very likely they will have a poor immunity to contagious diseases.

Also, 'many athiests grow to love the idea of sibling sex'? Are you ******* MAD?

'some may think it morally wrong, it doesn't mean anything to the athiest who wants to commit incest' - this is not a valid point.

I know many people athiests or of any religion for that matter, who find pedophilia to be morally abhorrent. Did the priests, these 'men of God' care? Apparently not it seems. But that's okay, because as long as they repent before they die, then they didn't do anything wrong, according to what you believe in.

Moreover, 'objective morality' is a ridiculous proposal.

'Thou shalt not kill' - what about in self-defense?
    'Thou shalt not bear false witness' - what about lying to the Nazi officer that you aren't hiding Jews in your house?

You can't go through life using Christianity as a clumsy moral stencil to be applied to everything. The world is not black and white. Each case/situation needs to judged individually, therefore subjective morality is the way to go.
    He said 'may grow' which you deliberately missed out, hence your're the idiot.

Objective science and logic tells you that penis is not to bum hole yet homosexuality is more than fine to atheists. You cannot have children and on the examination of the body it is clearly not designed such that men (or women) **** each other.

This is not me being intolerant - I tollerate people with different views but the logic you present is flawed.

What the guy seemed to touch on was whether morality originated from religion, because without religion, who is to say that I cant do this or that? this was his argument since you didn't understand it.

The remainder of your argument is ridiculous, nothing in this world is clear cut, and teachings of religion must be followed within context.

ReputationRep:
    :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3: :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    it's apparently a psychological thing- like if you've grown up with relatives you automatically develop a 'block' to stop you like-liking them. but if you've grown up apart from them you don't have that 'block' so it would be like just meeting any other stranger- only because you're related you'll probably have some personality traits that are similar, so it could be easy to get on with them.
    personally, i don't think it should be done all the time, but in cases like this i think there could be an exception.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dartbaord)
    Ok thats totally the common fallacey that atheists don't have any moral standing. For one we do have just as much (if not more as ours is based on our own opinions instead of what we think will score us an entry into heaven) of a high moral opinion and for two many atheists would understand the terrible medical consequences of incest.

Also the areas where atheism is stereotypically strife (yes I'm tipping my hat towards so called 'red necks') also has a reputation for christian extremism.

Sorry nothing against you I just prickle when people suggest atheists are morally inept!
    He is not saying that atheists are all morally inept, but that there is no moral obligations in being an atheist, and that morality originates from religion. Otherwise, if you had been in a completely religiously sterile area, where no one was brought up from a family with any trace of religion teaching or even knew its existiance, what in concept is their to tell you that you cant do anything you want? That was his argument.

Poll
Are you going to a Festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.