Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So, I'm 20 years old with 155cm and I currently weight 42kg and I want to know how can I gain weight. I want to get some curves, cause I believe it'll also help me look a bit older (and I look 14 right) and I'll feel better. I eat small portions, but multiple times a day.

My eating habits:
    Breakfast - usually a toast with Nutella or some other thing on it and some fruit (strawberries, blueberries, apple or banana)
    Lunch - depends, something with pasta or potatoes + meat or fish with vegetables
    I don't do dinners most of the times, but if I do, it's always something like pasta. I go to McDonalds or KFC once or twice a week, chinese food and so on so on. Also eat late at night most of the times. But I still can't gain weight!

The problem is, I burn calories really fast. I'm a dancer and I train for about 8+ hours a week, but that's necessary because I'll go studying dance at university next year, so I really hope I won't have to cut down my dancing in order to gain weight...

It seems that I can't live in the "adulthood" because I look so young and skinny lol. But I don't want to sit on my butt and just eat food all day in order to gain weight

Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    You may not look 14; pictorial examples are needed.

ReputationRep:
    There's no magic formula - just eat eat eat. If you don't wanna cut down on dancing, you'll have to eat all the more. Calorie dense stuff is obviously best - nuts, pasta, bread, rice. Milk is an easy way to get a lot of calories without feeling so full (full fat milk is even better). Obviously skipping dinner isn't a good idea - if you can't have a proper meal, have plenty of snacks instead. Also, keep track of how much you're eating using something like fitday.com - often people aren't eating as much as they think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Libertine)
    There's no magic formula - just eat eat eat. If you don't wanna cut down on dancing, you'll have to eat all the more. Calorie dense stuff is obviously best - nuts, pasta, bread, rice. Milk is an easy way to get a lot of calories without feeling so full (full fat milk is even better). Obviously skipping dinner isn't a good idea - if you can't have a proper meal, have plenty of snacks instead. Also, keep track of how much you're eating using something like fitday.com - often people aren't eating as much as they think.
    I think the snacks have to be healthy so you don't go from one extreme to the next, because then your heart won't cope. A person of your height and age should eat a minimum of 1500 calories a day...and that's if you are trying to lose weight. To gain i'd say 2000 calories a day. GOOD LUCK

ReputationRep:
    Ok basically start eating dinner and eat as much as you can.
    Sleep more, alot more.
    You should eat before and after your sessions to replace nutrients.
    Drink alot of milk and by alot i mean not just 1 extra glass a day i mean alot.
    Eat lots of proteins.
    Forget the fast food it will make you unhealthy not fat. Try your best and eat as much as possible. Remember Breakfest and lunch are most important in the day.
    Hope that helped

ReputationRep:
    Do this then this and make sure you eat that amount each day. This makes it easier to put on weight, as does this and this with this mixed using this.

But make sure you eat normal food too and consume a healthy varied diet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Libertine)
    There's no magic formula - just eat eat eat.
    This and nothing more than this.

If you eat more calories than your daily use, then you will gain weight it's that simple. Skipping meals is not an option really, try eating some every 2-3 hours even if it's just a small snack - that's certainly worked for me. You don't need to cut down on your dancing at all to gain weight, you just need to eat more to accommodate for the activities that you do. If your struggling to put on weight because you don't have the time to eat properly, then look at getting a weight gainer supplement and making a shake with some milk, they can help alot at boosting your calorie intake but they don't replace your diet either (that's why the call them supplements) so you should really be having the 3 basic meals a day with an additional 2-3 smaller ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SkyNinja)
    Forget the fast food it will make you unhealthy not fat.
    Er... what?!

It'll do both. :fyi:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NachoD)
    Skipping meals is not an option really, try eating some every 2-3 hours even if it's just a small snack - that's certainly worked for me.
    In passing, it's always amused me that eating little and often is suggested for both losing and gaining weight (the usual argument being that if you don't eat for a while your body goes into 'starvation mode' - I have no idea if that's actually true). I guess if you're trying to gain weight, the increase in calories from eating lots of meals overcomes the increase in metabolism from eating often.

And I dunno about not eating fast food. Obviously you don't want to go overboard with it, as there's more to health than just calories and weight, but it's much easier to eat a Big Mac than endless 'clean calories'. If you are one of the people with a super-fast metabolism, it's probably the worst thing ever.

ReputationRep:
    You're not eating a lot. 2 eggs and 2 slices of toast for breakie. Have bigger portions at lunch. You need to eat a bigish dinner every day. 3 slices of toast before bed. Drink whole milk, maybe a pint each day. Snaxk in between on nuts. This doesn't seem a lot to me and I'm slim. I bet this seems quite a lot to you, that's why you're so skinny.

And you don't need to waste your money on supplements as someone has suggested. Whole milk and lots of food is enough. I went from 8.5 stone to 10.5 stone in 6 months, at a height of 6'1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thejonsmith)
    Er... what?!

It can do either or both or neither.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thejonsmith)
    Er... what?!

hahahaha Trust me its much harder to gain weight if your naturally skinny than too loose it. Eating fast food will not help at all.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a huge fan of milk, but thank you for the advice I'll try I sleep for at least 8 hours a day. I eat once every 2 hours so that's mostly the reason I skip dinner cause I'm always full by then and I really don't want to feel sick by eating too much food at once (cause that's what usually happens). But I'll try, cause I reeeally want to gain weight

And I think I do have a super fast metabolism and it's annoying as hell. The most I weighted in my entire life was 45kg and that was last year, when I wasn't dancing for 4 months because of my knee injury. The second I start moving I start burning calories... Anyone wants to trade places? lol

Thanks for all the advices guys.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeffy91)
    It can do either or both or neither.
    :congrats: Obviously.

The point is that it can lead to an increase in weight, rather than just "making you unhealthy".

But thanks for clarifying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Torrchy)
    I'm not a huge fan of milk, but thank you for the advice I'll try I sleep for at least 8 hours a day. I eat once every 2 hours so that's mostly the reason I skip dinner cause I'm always full by then and I really don't want to feel sick by eating too much food at once (cause that's what usually happens). But I'll try, cause I reeeally want to gain weight

And I think I do have a super fast metabolism and it's annoying as hell. The most I weighted in my entire life was 45kg and that was last year, when I wasn't dancing for 4 months because of my knee injury. The second I start moving I start burning calories... Anyone wants to trade places? lol

Thanks for all the advices guys.
    Eating a lot at once is hard at first when you have a small stomach. So its is easier to eat small and regularly so you are never hungry, but you're probably not getting enough calories like this. This was my problem, I was never really hungry because I alway snacked, but I wasn't getting a lot of calories in total. So I would say try eating more in one sitting, not until you are satisfied, but until you are actually full. You may feel uncomfortable and sick at first but it gets easier. Eventually, it will not be an effort, but you will actually want to eat more in one sitting as your stomach has expanded. Then when you can eat more you will probably not feel like eating every 2 hours, but will be satisfied with just your 3 or 4 meals, which is more convenient for you.

ReputationRep:
    get on the weights, bulk with muscle, not fat,

ReputationRep:
    42kg :lolwut:

Yikes!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.