Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CElizabeth)
    What a load of rubbish! Sorry but if you genuinely think this you have to be a snob. It is a huge achievement earning a first degree no matter which university you choose to attend.
    (Original post by G_S)
    thanks for that! ur so right!
    (Original post by Sithius)
    Nonsense. The only two universities where it is probably harder to achieve a first are Oxbridge.
    I honestly can't understand this viewpoint.

Let's take two examples: Imperial College London and Edge Hill university.

To study maths at ICL you need A*A*A at A-levels, including maths and further maths.
    To study maths at Edge Hill, you need 240 UCAS points (BCC or equivilent), including at least a D at A-level maths.

Now - are you telling me that someone who goes to Edge Hill and does well in the exams there (which are easier than the ICL exams), and gets a first, is as good a candidate as someone who goes to ICL and does well in their exams?

A candidate would find it much easier to go to Edge Hill and get a first than they would to go to ICL and get a first. It is very difficult to get in to ICL, nevermind getting a first.

I chose two example unis here, one I perceive to be a strong uni and one I perceive to be a weak uni, but the same logic could be applied to any two unis - the stronger the entry standards, the harder the exams, the stronger the competition in your class, the harder it is to get a first class degree.

e:
    (Original post by innerhollow)
    Balls. You really think getting a First from Cambridge, where the workload is so intense you aren't even allowed a job; is as easy as getting a First from low-ranked unis? Universities are not equal, it doesn't make us snobs to point that out.

As for saying employers don't mind what uni you go to - this is also simply not true. Why would an employer not prefer a candidate from ICL, who has at least A*A*A in his interviews and probably a good STEP score to go with it, than a candidate from Edge Hill who has done worse in his A-levels, all other things being equal? Of course it matters which uni you go to! There is a reason that some unis have 10++ applicants per place and other unis don't even manage to fill their courses, and it's not the good weather in St Andrews, let me assure you.

ReputationRep:
    You need to read up on your careers and employability knowledge because they really don't.
    So you think that employers have no interest in which university you attended.

Naive much?

ReputationRep:
    dude get a grip yo

ReputationRep:
    Here we go...it doesn't take long for threads that ask how to get a first, to descend into whether or not people think a 1st from uni A, means more than a first from uni B

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gez1990)
    Here we go...it doesn't take long for threads that ask how to get a first, to descend into whether or not people think a 1st from uni A, means more than a first from uni B
    I honestly can't see how people think it doesn't.

It's like saying "is the best meal from restaurant A the same quality as the best meal from restaurant B?" or "is the best model of Renault the same quality is the best Aston Martin?" - it's just so intuitively not. The same thing applies to universities. I honestly can't see how people can say it's just as hard to get a first from Edge Hill as it is from ICL, for example.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M_E_X)
    I honestly can't see how people think it doesn't.

It's like saying "is the best meal from restaurant A the same quality as the best meal from restaurant B?" or "is the best model of Renault the same quality is the best Aston Martin?" - it's just so intuitively not. The same thing applies to universities. I honestly can't see how people can say it's just as hard to get a first from Edge Hill as it is from ICL, for example.

I'm not getting into it, personally.
    It's just annoying because regardless of what university I'm going to, I want to do well. And when I look in threads like this, hoping for tips, more often then not it is people bickering about something that is completely irrelevant - at the end of the day.

ReputationRep:
    It will all depend on how hard you work and your determination. For me I get better grades when I treat the subject as a hobby, something I love to do than as something I've got to do 'cause that puts me in the whole mindset of "ugh, I'll do it later". Then end up doing it at last minute.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gez1990)
    I'm not getting into it, personally.
    It's just annoying because regardless of what university I'm going to, I want to do well. And when I look in threads like this, hoping for tips, more often then not it is people bickering about something that is completely irrelevant - at the end of the day.
    This :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Focus08)
    What's UCP Marjon?
    I wondered this too, so I did a bit of research.
    It's University College Plymouth, St Marks and St Johns: in other words it's a former Church of England teacher training college that has been taken over by Plymouth Uni and now offers degrees.

ReputationRep:
    Be thirsty for knowledge and you should get there.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, rather than join the argument I will give you a truthful answer to your question.

I graduated this year with a first class honours in Business & Economics from a top 10 UK University, so I can offer you some advice.

Firstly don't work too hard in first year, you don't want to burn out because you worked to hard, it doesn't count towards anything, and is not indicative by any means of the work load you will be faced with in second year.

Use your first year to get to know the tutors, know what modules you want to choose next year, get into a work pattern, and get to know places like the library which will be crucial for study.

If you want to get a first, there is no getting around the fact that you will need to sacrifice quite a lot of things, I missed several nights out and events like the christmas ball, simply because I stayed in the library working.

To answer your question, you can have a good social life, but you will need to be organised. I managed to sucessfully represent my University in sports, as well as having a very active social life.

So it can be done, however you will have to work -extremely- hard, I slept on average four to five hours a night, and did not spend much time eating, I was either working, doing sports, or with my girlfriend or friends, I didn't have time for anything else.

Anyone who tells you that you can get a first by not working hard is a liar, or has graduated with a poor degree, from a poor University - which is worthless.

Getting a first is about mental strength, natural intelligence and a relentless drive and effort that only certain people have, so if you think you are up to it, then go for it!

Hope this helped

ReputationRep:
    It was explian to me at the start of my degree this year that
    <40% = fail (oopps)
    40-50% = 3rd (could have been better) (no hons)
    50-60% = 2.2 (good)
    60-70% = 2.1 (excellent)
    >70% = First class (only exeptional students with a solid understanding of the subject)

This changes uni to uni and its not more easy to complete a course in one uni to the next the awarding bodies and institutions would not allow this. Full attendance to lectures and at least 120hrs extra work for every 10 credits should be enough but not garantied.

ReputationRep:
    What a load of rubbish! Sorry but if you genuinely think this you have to be a snob. It is a huge achievement earning a first degree no matter which university you choose to attend.
    Its a huge achievement yes, but its more of an achievement getting a first from a top tier uni.

ReputationRep:
    Get into an efficient working mentality (that sounded so like the balls they used to tell us at my sixth form, but unfortunately it is a good way to describe it!), so that when you do work you actually do the work, if you see what I mean.

I know a lot of people who spent almost all day every day at the library; they were forever printing off lecture notes and getting out books and spending hours locked away 'working'. And then they got to the exams/essays/projects and did badly. Everybody was so surprised because from the outside they looked to be doing great. But what they were in fact doing was a lot of what looked like work, but what in fact was poorly managed, poorly organised, poorly structured work and revision.

I slip into doing it myself and get to the end of an evening realising that I have worked all day, but done absolutely nothing.

I hope that makes sense. Basically, make sure all the work you do counts. don't just fanny around highlight journals all day but not actually reading anything or memorising anything, because just looking or feeling like you are working doesn't mean you are actually working.

Another good tip: don't burn out. Someone I knew worked so hard at the beginning of the year she was a mess at the end and struggled badly.

Obviously take all this with a pinch of salt as I haven't got a first yet But I'm hoping to, and if not I am well on track to get a high 2:1 and so I guess I must have been doing something right these last two years (although I still do spend hours highlighting journals and making pretty colourful revision notes without actually learning anything!!)

Oh and enjoy what you are doing. Things are much more difficult to get good marks on when you are not interested in the topic

ReputationRep:
    I think it totally depends on how good you are at the subject, really.
    I'm just going into my final year (doing Maths at Durham) and last year I only managed 64.5% so I'm hoping to get around 74~75% this year (more would be great! Oh and that's including the fact that third year counts more than second, before anyone says "AHH THAT WOULDN'T AVERAGE OUT YOU TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE MATHEMATICIAN") to bring me to, or above, 70% average. I'm planning on working really hard, as last year I slacked off more than I should've. I obviously didn't do "no work at all" but I could have tried a lot harder! If I don't get a first class degree I'll feel disappointed, but I suppose it's the "trying your hardest" that counts the most - then you can't regret anything.
    I think people saying don't overdo it is good advice, too. Remember to take time away from work and stuff! :yep:

I've told myself I'm going to summarise my notes weekly, or more often, to save me having to do it instead of revising like last year! I guess I'll have to give myself a firm kick up the backside every few days. :o:

ReputationRep:
    I got a First from York, which I think counts as a reasonably decent place. I've no idea if it would have been harder to get a First at Oxbridge, or easier to get one at De Montfort; I don't particularly care.

What I would say is that no-one got a First without putting in a huge amount of work, but that plenty of people put in a huge amount of work and still don't get one. It's impossible without a degree of natural talent - though you certaily don't have to be a genius. You have to concentrate most not on what you're doing right, but on what you're doing wrong - nag your tutors to tell you where your weaknesses are (I did) even when they say you're doing well. It helps to be in love with what you're doing, and not just with the idea of getting a First. You also have to be fiercely, though not neurotically, self-critical - there is little room for complacency, there is nothing you have done that couldn't be improved. It's hard to avoid stepping over the line into pointless perfectionism, so try to keep perspective. Go well beyond the requirements of your syllabus and never try to give your tutors what you think they want to see - you must show them the product of your own thinking, not hold a mirror up to theirs. Lecturers want to be surprised by students' work - that's where first class marks are awarded.

And yes, I did get a social life - I worked on the University newspaper, I did acting and directing, I partied and went out regularly. It's counterproductive not to. But I probably didn't have quite as much of a social life as people who did not get Firsts - this doesn't matter. Work comes first, then go out. It's better to go out when you've got everything done anyway - fewer guilt trips.

Finally, it should never be the be all and end all of your degree. Several people were bitterly depressed at not getting Firsts, yet they did well - there's no shame in a 2.1 after all (or an honest 2.2 for that matter), and twenty years down the line it will hardly matter anyway. So keep a sense of proportion, enjoy yourself, never become obsessed and don't give yourself a hard time. Good luck however you do.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.