Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello All,

I would like to loose some weight and become a healthier person. I've been reading a few threads on here to pick up some advice. Essentially I just eat rubbish, lots of chocolate, sweets, burgers, chips, etc.

Can someone advise me on how much I should be eating? I know I should be having 6 small meals per day, and I've got a rough idea of what I should be eating, but not really in what proportion, or how many of my meals each day should contain the same sorts of thing.

At the moment I don't eat breakfast as I don't ever feel hungry, and usually have my first thing to eat around 12 - 1 pm. I rarely eat fruit or vegetables, although I do like them.

My BMR is 2465, does this mean I should be eating under this amount, or just that I shouldn't go over this amount? I am 5 foot 9 and weigh 12 stone 6 pounds.

As for exercise, I really don't do much apart from walking for about 40 minutes on most weekdays. I have Wii Fit, which I use on and off, but I am sure this is no where near as good as 'real' exercise. How much should I be exercising each day?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure your BMR is 2465??? How did you come to that number?

ReputationRep:
    Here's my opinion, it won't answer all your questions, and others will have differing views:

1. 3 meals a day, even if only something small for breakfast like a banana.
    2. Aim for your "5 a day" of fruit/veg, even if you don't always manage it.
    3. Cut down on saturated fats, refined sugar, salt. Basically, eat considerably less of what you're currently eating! But no need to cut it out altogether (although eg eating refined sugar can become a bit of an addiction, and the only solution might be to cut it out altogether. If you're like me & eating one chocolate leads to eating half the box, don't eat the one in the first place).
    4. Aim to do exercise that leaves you heavily out of breath for at least 20 mins 3x a week. Far easier if you take up a sport, a martial art, or a hobby like joining a running club. Also more social than plugging away down the gym or using Wii.

(Back to the food point - try to eat more wholefoods, eg pasta, brown pasta, rice, brown rice etc. Much better if you've cooked meals yourself, as you'll know what's in them).

Finally, good luck and well done getting this far - you'll feel better, look better, & live longer.

ReputationRep:
    Err at 5'9 and 12 stone 6, your BMR is 1883. So take 500 calories off that, and do some exercise (not wii fit.)

ReputationRep:
    He is probably taking into account the Harris Benedict Equation which for "# If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55" would give the number he has came up with roughly.

ReputationRep:
    Sadly thats not his BMR though, thats something else completely and I definitely wouldn't count walking for 40 minutes as even moderate exercise =/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serentonin)
    Sadly thats not his BMR though, thats something else completely and I definitely wouldn't count walking for 40 minutes as even moderate exercise =/
    You shouldnt be taking 500 off your BMR because thats not what your burning each day in the real world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serentonin)
    Err at 5'9 and 12 stone 6, your BMR is 1883. So take 500 calories off that, and do some exercise (not wii fit.)
    How would you know what his BMR is without knowing his lean muscle : fat composition, bone structure .. age, gender .. etc ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsforsale)
    How would you know what his BMR is without knowing his lean muscle : fat composition, bone structure .. age, gender .. etc ?
    Age is in profile. But even with the other variables, web calculators will work it out for the "average" person.. which wont be far off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsforsale)
    Basic internet calculator. Better than nothing.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.