Turn on thread page Beta

Acne... I need a cure as I have really had enough now :-( watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,
    I am looking for responses from people who have had (and recovered from) bad acne themself and therefore know of something that worked for them & understand what it feels like.

Basically, I have had acne since I was 13. It was worse than most of the boys in my school class suffered. Not just occasional little breakouts, continuous horrid acne. It used to be on my back, chest and face and looked horrible. Since I was 17 it has got a bit better and my chest/back is clear and my face is much better. But still not clear. I turned 22 this summer...and I find it really upsetting because I keep telling myself it will clear up, but it still hasn't and I hate it. It isn't fair to still be suffering from this at 22! :-(

I have been to a dermatologist/skin doctor various times over the years, was prescribed many diff creams and face washes etc, but nothing worked. I asked at the normal doctor where I live (in Germany) and she said she cannot do anything for acne. I tried a natural healer but they said their procedures involved just face washes etc again, which I have lost faith in as none have worked before.

I exercise most mornings (usually jogging), wash my face twice a day currently with a tea-tree oil face wash from the bodyshop, always remove makeup before bed. I am a vegetarian and I eat quite well (not too much processed stuff or too much bad food). I don't drink alcohol and I don't smoke. I don't know why I have it. No one else in my family has ever really had acne.

Long message but argh I am so sick of this now, depressing. What worked for you?

ReputationRep:
    Just you are unfortunate to have bad acne do you wear a lot of make up? I found that if i wore make up everyday when i had quite bad acne that seemed to make it flare a lot, try to have days with minimal make up, also maybe stop the tea tree oil face wash and just dab straight tea tree oil onto the spots

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the situation but I've had it since I was 11.
    Nothing works for me either.

ReputationRep:
    It is so depressing. I always figured it would be gone by the time I was 20... and yet, I still have it!

ReputationRep:
    Roaccutane, read up on it. It deffo worked for me, however doctors must prescribe it, as it is a very overwhelming drug to be taken.

ReputationRep:
    I only had mild acne, but I still get break-outs when I'm stressed. I've found a tea-tree day and night spot stick had worked really well when used alongside tea-tree face wash and toner and moisturiser. I got my tea-tree set from the Body Shop, except for the stick which I found in Boots, and it's relatively cheap
    I also never wear make-up on days where I'm not going out, which I've found helps a lot when my skins slightly worse

ReputationRep:
    Tried benzyl peroxide (http://www.acne.org/ routine)?

(Original post by Miss_Scarlet)
    Hi everyone,
    I am looking for responses from people who have had (and recovered from) bad acne themself and therefore know of something that worked for them & understand what it feels like.

Basically, I have had acne since I was 13. It was worse than most of the boys in my school class suffered. Not just occasional little breakouts, continuous horrid acne. It used to be on my back, chest and face and looked horrible. Since I was 17 it has got a bit better and my chest/back is clear and my face is much better. But still not clear. I turned 22 this summer...and I find it really upsetting because I keep telling myself it will clear up, but it still hasn't and I hate it. It isn't fair to still be suffering from this at 22! :-(

I have been to a dermatologist/skin doctor various times over the years, was prescribed many diff creams and face washes etc, but nothing worked. I asked at the normal doctor where I live (in Germany) and she said she cannot do anything for acne. I tried a natural healer but they said their procedures involved just face washes etc again, which I have lost faith in as none have worked before.

I exercise most mornings (usually jogging), wash my face twice a day currently with a tea-tree oil face wash from the bodyshop, always remove makeup before bed. I am a vegetarian and I eat quite well (not too much processed stuff or too much bad food). I don't drink alcohol and I don't smoke. I don't know why I have it. No one else in my family has ever really had acne.

Long message but argh I am so sick of this now, depressing. What worked for you?
    Apple Cider Vinegar :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Libertine)
    I've had acne since I was 13 too. This sort of worked, but it irritated my skin, I've been given antibiotics by the GP, I've only been taking them for two months, but apparently your meant to take them for over a year. My acne is reduced, but is nowhere near gone.

ReputationRep:
    well quinoderm should help clear, at the very least, the easy-to-moderate to shift

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Libertine)
    do this. its what i use anyway and my acnes been pretty much gone for a few years

(Original post by Miss_Scarlet)
    Hi everyone,

Get rid of the tea-tree oil - it's a skin irritant - and get some carbolic soap. The carbolic soap should clear it within the week. Just make sure you wash really vigourously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H.M)
    Roaccutane, read up on it. It deffo worked for me, however doctors must prescribe it, as it is a very overwhelming drug to be taken.
    Agree with this.

I had bad skin persistently from the age of 11 (mild to moderate at worst, but always bloody there) and only this worked. I tried every other cream, facewash, antibiotic over the years all which did NADA.
    I finished taking this two months ago, for four months on a v. low does (20mg) and my skin is absolutely perfect now.

It does have many recorded side effects but I only experienced increased shedding of hair which has now stopped that I'm no longer on the medication (I had thick hair to start with so it didn't really matter) and slightly sore lips. I suppose my libido wasn't the greatest either, but the side effects stop pretty quickly once you come off the medication.

ReputationRep:
    I've had acne since i was 12
    However going on the pill totally cleared my skin up, i just didn't realise it, now that i've come off it acne is back. Didn't think i would still get it at this age Like NO face washes work at all, nothing the doctors given me either, only the contraceptive pill helped clear it to a manageable state. Can't wait to go back on it!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I had bad acne on and off for years and trust me, nothing but drugs will work. I was prescribed dozens of different creams, facewashes and gels but they only cleared the superficial spots, not the ugly, painful ones. I understand that doctors are often unwilling to prescribe anything too strong, but if you are persistent (as I was) they will either prescribe dianette (the pill) which is a bit hit and miss and takes a long time to take effect, or they will refer you to a dermatologist who can prescribe roaccutane. Roaccutane is extremely powerful which is why a dermatologist has to prescribe it, but it is effective and quick to show results (four months I think, and after that your acne will be gone forever!). Since you've had acne for such a long time your doctors should be accommodating, but you have to ask! In my experience, doctors tend to do what you tell them in these situations and if you don't ask anything, they don't do anything :/ Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Drink more fluid.

Use a facial wash called Eucerin as it is quite good.

ReputationRep:
    Use water. It works

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I_Lost_The_Game)
    do this. its what i use anyway and my acnes been pretty much gone for a few years
    I agree with this, keeps my face clear majority of the time, but I'm still in my teenage years so as one spot disappears, another one appears, but its tolerable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H.M)
    I heard that a possible side effect is that you stop growing.. Is this true?

ReputationRep:
    I think antibiotics helped me a lot. Also, tea tree oil not a face wash but the actual oil which has been diluted really gets rid of spots - for me anyway. Wearing make-up always makes me get some so I just don't wear it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 5, 2010
Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.