Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Acne... I need a cure as I have really had enough now :-( Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonario)
    I heard that a possible side effect is that you stop growing.. Is this true?
    There are many side effects interlinked with this medication, and I can honoestly say from my experience, now 17 years of age, taking it when i was 16 years old for 9 months straight, it has made the worlds difference to my skin, and really has worked! Spots on my back, face and chest have all completely gone, from this day, no complaints what so ever.

ReputationRep:
    Get Vichy Normaderm products from the pharmacy. (La Roche-Posay is apparently quite good, too). Drink lots of water.

ReputationRep:
    this probably won't help at all :p: but i used to get them when i didn't get enough sleep, drinking a lot of water helps as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H.M)
    There are many side effects interlinked with this medication, and I can honoestly say from my experience, now 17 years of age, taking it when i was 16 years old for 9 months straight, it has made the worlds difference to my skin, and really has worked! Spots on my back, face and chest have all completely gone, from this day, no complaints what so ever.
    I know It's good, many of my friends have used it and now they're spotless. Thing is, they're much taller then me and I still want to grow, a docotor told me that Accutane stops your growth and Rocc.. is an accutane :l

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whitepearlbaby)
    Get Vichy Normaderm products from the pharmacy. (La Roche-Posay is apparently quite good, too). Drink lots of water.
    don't buy this, it wont work permenately, unlike Roaccutane.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonario)
    I know It's good, many of my friends have used it and now they're spotless. Thing is, they're much taller then me and I still want to grow, a docotor told me that Accutane stops your growth and Rocc.. is an accutane :l
    From my experience, I have grown taller even after taking the medication of 50mg for 8 months, everyday. The only thing it stops from my awareness is the sebaceous glands, which secrete oily substances, producing the spots.

ReputationRep:
    Simple And Easy.

There Is Only 1 Thing Out There That Stops You From Getting Acne And Thats Accutane......

If The Doctors Wont Give It You I Bought It Online.

Worked Perfect

Ignore All This **** Side Effects, Thats Only If You Get Ridiculous Sizes Like 60mg A Day

I Did 10-20mg A Day For 6 Months And My Skin Is Crystal Clear
    **** My Medical History Is Fine I Have No Conditions***

I Took A Risk Maybe, But It Payed Off

Loads Of My Friends Did The Exact Same And It Worked For Them.

ReputationRep:
    The skin doctor put me on tablets for it before, but only a half dose of whatever it was and then she had to take me off it too early as I am anaemic and apparently I couldn't take it... Maybe it was roaccutane? Not sure.

I am on the contraceptive pill, don't know if that has really helped.

ReputationRep:
    Go to the doctors and get a prescription for your acne, they'll tell you which one is best for you.
    I never had had acne but whenever I got spots I would use Sudocrem at night and they'd be gone in a couple of days! Worth a try?

ReputationRep:
    OP I think the above is a troll, don't buy roaccutane online, please see your doctor.

I got about 3 spots forming. It's not the end of the world, I'm applying sudocream and praying to God.

ReputationRep:
    Go to a dermatologist. Theres hundreds of remedies you can try and i had to have a couple of different ones before i went on Roaccutane which cleared it right up. I still get the odd spot here and there but nothing like before

ReputationRep:
    acne.org is the way to go, it'll cost a bit but its so worth it, only thing that ever worked for me

ReputationRep:
    Hi.

I would highly suggest speaking to your GP. There is many treatments that your Gp can prescribe including benzoylperoxide, oral antibiotics, antibiotics in a cream formulation and also the same drug as in roaccutane (isotretinoin) in a gel formulation.

If your GP decides your acne is bad enough s/he can refer you to a dermatologist who can, if appropriate, prescribe roaccutane. Roaccutane really does help however does come with some side effects such as dry skin and lips and females need to take the oral contraceptive pill while taking it. As far as I know (and I am a qualified pharmacist) stunting growth is not a recognised side effect of roaccutane but that is something you could discuss with the dermatologist who is an expert in this field.

All the best. There are lots of treatments out there so speak to your GP and dont let it get you down too much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss_Scarlet)
    Hi everyone,
    I am looking for responses from people who have had (and recovered from) bad acne themself and therefore know of something that worked for them & understand what it feels like.

Basically, I have had acne since I was 13. It was worse than most of the boys in my school class suffered. Not just occasional little breakouts, continuous horrid acne. It used to be on my back, chest and face and looked horrible. Since I was 17 it has got a bit better and my chest/back is clear and my face is much better. But still not clear. I turned 22 this summer...and I find it really upsetting because I keep telling myself it will clear up, but it still hasn't and I hate it. It isn't fair to still be suffering from this at 22! :-(

I have been to a dermatologist/skin doctor various times over the years, was prescribed many diff creams and face washes etc, but nothing worked. I asked at the normal doctor where I live (in Germany) and she said she cannot do anything for acne. I tried a natural healer but they said their procedures involved just face washes etc again, which I have lost faith in as none have worked before.

I exercise most mornings (usually jogging), wash my face twice a day currently with a tea-tree oil face wash from the bodyshop, always remove makeup before bed. I am a vegetarian and I eat quite well (not too much processed stuff or too much bad food). I don't drink alcohol and I don't smoke. I don't know why I have it. No one else in my family has ever really had acne.

Long message but argh I am so sick of this now, depressing. What worked for you?
    Pee on toilet paper and rub it on your face.
    That was on skins, remember? LOL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss_Scarlet)
    I had acne since I was like... 11? When I was 16 it bummed me out so much I saw my doctor, she prescribed me Dianette. It's a contraceptive pill but it's usually prescribed for girls with hormonal imbalances. I can't say it worked straight away... to be honest, I don't really know when it started working :p: but it worked. To my best guess, within a couple of months the spots stopped coming. Yeah, you'll have to keep a good cleaning regime to clear what's existing, but it'll stop new spots from popping up. One thing though - if your body doesn't sort itself out by whenever you want to stop taking it (usually I hear it's when women wanna have babies... so me and my Dianette have atleast a decade to go :rolleyes:), your acne may flare up again. I'd assume you'd care a lot less then, though, and usually when you're pregnant your body regulates your hormones better anyway.

Good luck ♥

EDIT: And even if you're on the pill, it may have to be a specific kind of pill, like Dianette, that you need. Different pills have different contents, you'll react differently to them. The pill I was on pre-Dianette just made my skin worse.

ReputationRep:
    Try going to the doctors, my sister did, they should be able to come up with something.

ReputationRep:
    German doctor said she couldn't prescribe me anything for acne. And skin doc put me on creams, didnt work, then on pills (half dose) but I had to come off them as I am anaemic and it apparently was dangerous for people with anaemia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H.M)
    don't buy this, it wont work permenately, unlike Roaccutane.
    Works for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.)
    I had acne from the ages of 13-16 and it cleared without that dangerous drug Roaccutane. I took several antibiotics but they all stopped working within 6 months, I visited a Dermatologist numerous times and he just offered me laser treatment/chemical peels etc., I had exhausted all routes so I just gave up with antibiotics and whatever else and decided to clear my acne holistically.

As I have several allergies to random food stuffs, I did a little "food test" with my dietitian (I cut certain foods out and then introduced them to see the effects) and with the absence of some foods my acne subsided. Most people say that the link between food and acne is a myth but it is not a myth for some people. Food cannot cause acne but it can definitely aggravate it, if you eat something you're allergic to, your immune system will work overload to push that toxin out of the body - the skin is an organ so it uses the skin. I ended up cutting all the foods I was allergic to out of my diet and I cut all fizzy drinks out. The only thing I drink is water, and lots of it. I suggest you try this, it worked for me (it reduced my acne greatly) although I must say that my acne wasn't super severe.

I then started using Dermalogica (e.g. the medibac range) it will swallow up all your money, but it is so worth it. All of their products are non-comedogenic. A beautician will tell you which products you should use and you can get regular facials, they help a lot. You can reduce sebum production without drugs (if you have oily skin). Dermalogica have products with Salicyclic acid in them which is effective in combating acne. Have you ever tried Benzoyl Peroxide? You can use the lowest percentage to treat problem areas on your face. Benzoyl Peroxide just oxygenates your skin (so bacteria numbers decrease as they die) and it increases cell turn over (if i recall correctly). It's quite effective but use too much and your skin might burn.

Taking antibiotics (not speaking about Roaccutane) is only ever a short term solution. For most people Roaccutane "cures" their acne but remember that some people actually still get acne (e.g. comedonal acne) after taking this drug and it's not risk-free. My skin is clear now, I only get the odd spot before that time of the month and still get stress spots but with no stress and no period, I have no acne. But I guess this all depends on how severe your acne is, if it's inflamed or non-inflamed?

Thanks for this. I may go back to the natural healer, as she acts also as a dietician and said they would need to look into my diet and stuff. I didn't think it could be diet as I eat very healthily and do not drink fizzy drinks or alcohol. But maybe it is worth a shot. Have tried everything else...

ReputationRep:
    OP,

I suffered very badly from acne, and I still suffer today but the severity is down by about 85%

Several things you need to do:

1. Do not eat dairy products. (chocolate is the number 1 culprit)
    2. Drink 2 litres of water per day, every day
    3. If you don't sweat on a regular basis (exercise), all your pores remain clogged and dirty
    4. Exfoliate once a day for a month then switch to every 2 days, with a face scrubber and a body scrubber. (Do not use body scrubber on the face as they are generally much coarser.
    5. Avoid greasy food wherever possible and food high in sugar.

Good luck!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 5, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.