Turn on thread page Beta

Gaining weight in the right areas watch

ReputationRep:
    Basically I don't really eat enough at the moment and I'm kind of 'skinny-flabby' when I'd rather be more 'toned' (and yes I have read the sticky and know that by toned I mean less body fat, more muscle).
    So I'm going to start HIIT, but what else should I be doing with regard to diet and exercise? I'm apparently a mesomorph, I have an hourglass body shape, and REALLY don't want to lose my 24in waist. I don't want to eat more and gain a huge stomach! :no:

ReputationRep:
    Do some strength training along with the HIIT. Whether you lose or gain mass is almost entirely dependent on what you eat - what's your weight and height, and also what do you typically eat at the moment?

ReputationRep:
    You have no control over where weight is gained-your body decides the distribution. Targeted weight gain/loss doesn't exist [unless you are gaining muscle.]
    Sorry if I have misread your question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Libertine)
    Do some strength training along with the HIIT. Whether you lose or gain mass is almost entirely dependent on what you eat - what's your weight and height, and also what do you typically eat at the moment?
    I'm just under 5'7, I weigh 8st 11. My diet atm is so awful - I usually have half a bowl of Ready Brek for breakfast, then a slice of toast and an apple for lunch. I eat dinner about 3 times a week, the rest of the time I just have cup-a-soups. I snack on fruit, dry cereal and sometimes bread. I think I prob eat too much bread and sugary things..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ramses II)
    You have no control over where weight is gained-your body decides the distribution. Targeted weight gain/loss doesn't exist.
    This. I had a refocus session at the gym and that's what I was told. The best thing you can do is develop the muscles in those areas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizlaz350)
    This. I had a refocus session at the gym and that's what I was told. The best thing you can do is develop the muscles in those areas.
    Ooh okay, so how would I develop the muscles in my stomach area? Bearing in mind I've been told many times that sit ups don't work...

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to go ahead and chauvinistically assume that "right areas" means primarily the breasts and bum. In the case of the bum, gaining muscle through heavy lower body exercises like squats and deadlifts will help a lot (and this will allow you to add a bit of weight on your legs in an attractive way as well). Breasts are more difficult and it essentially comes down to where your body naturally deposits fat, which is just a matter of luck really. If you gain fat and it goes to your waist rather than your chest you're out of luck - if it's the other way round you're sorted.

Obviously there's plenty wrong with your diet, but for a start it sounds like you're getting next to no protein which isn't going to help you with getting results out of exercise.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.