Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The coursework essay I am doing is based around the achievement of African-American civil rights 1863 - 1980. I am thinking of studying black activists and talking about how different ones advanced/did not advance civil rights. I am thinking of my main black activist to be Martin Luther King.

So my question/need of help (!) is does anybody have any good, preferably rather easy to read books that are really going to be useful for the investigation?

I am really stuck and we've been told to start extra reading now so I don't want to get too behind. Thanks a lot

Cue Alicia
    (Original post by AliciaJ703)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stuckonusername)
    The coursework essay I am doing is based around the achievement of African-American civil rights 1863 - 1980. I am thinking of studying black activists and talking about how different ones advanced/did not advance civil rights. I am thinking of my main black activist to be Martin Luther King.

So my question/need of help (!) is does anybody have any good, preferably rather easy to read books that are really going to be useful for the investigation?

I am really stuck and we've been told to start extra reading now so I don't want to get too behind. Thanks a lot
    I know it's far easier to discuss MLK Jr. but there were plenty of other civil rights leaders and activists in the movement. The Civil Rights Movement was the third and final wave of African Americans petitioning for better rights in America. The reason this movement was successful was that it added the key component - the Black Church. Of course, Booker T. Washington is such an example to include in your paper. If you're not familiar with him look him up. One good read would be "Before the Mayflower: A History of Black America."

http://www.amazon.com/Before-Mayflow.../dp/087485007X

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stricof)
    Cue Alicia
    I've posted my comment. :top:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.