The Student Room Group

Economics at Cambridge or Economics & Management at Oxford?!

Hi, just wondering if anyone could help me out as I literally have a couple of days to decide!

1) Im applying to do straight economics at other universities would this affect my personal statement if I applied to Oxford? Would I need to put something about management in it?

2) Which city is better?! I dont have time to go visit them!

3) Which one would I be more likely to get into?
How hard is the Thinking Skills Assessment?

GCSE's : 5A*s, 5As

AS Levels : 5As
Maths D1 82%, C1 97%, C2 95%,
Economics 82% 84% :s-smilie:
Politics 100% 88%
Business 79% 94% 97%
General Studies 80% 82%

Alevel predictions: Maths A*, Politics A*, Economics A

Would I even stand a chance?!

Please help, many thanks!
Reply 1
purplebex15
Hi, just wondering if anyone could help me out as I literally have a couple of days to decide!

1) Im applying to do straight economics at other universities would this affect my personal statement if I applied to Oxford? Would I need to put something about management in it?

It'd be a good idea, but not essential. Definitely keep the bulk about economics.

2) Which city is better?! I dont have time to go visit them!

Oxford is bigger so has more non-uni life, but both are pretty similar - very pretty with a centre dominated by the colleges. Oxford has a bit more choice in nightlife, but that's not a big issue for most people are social lifes tend to revolve around bars, societies, etc. more than clubs.

3) Which one would I be more likely to get into?
How hard is the Thinking Skills Assessment?

GCSE's : 5A*s, 5As

AS Levels : 5As
Maths D1 82%, C1 97%, C2 95%,
Economics 82% 84% :s-smilie:
Politics 100% 88%
Business 79% 94% 97%
General Studies 80% 82%

Alevel predictions: Maths A*, Politics A*, Economics A

Would I even stand a chance?!

Please help, many thanks!

Yes you have a chance. Both are very hard to get into and very oversubscribed. E&M has (or at least always used to have) a higher apps/place, but not by a huge deal and the quality of people accepted for both is similarly high. So you have a chance at both, but not a huge chance. Depends how you do on the various assessments and at interviews.

Latest

Trending

Trending