Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Made a thread a while back but lost it :-/ so I am making another, maybe get some new opinions.

I started jogging about 2-3 weeks ago, I go most mornings for at least 30mins, sometimes longer. I have the basis for a decent hourglass-type figure, not fat, but have never been very sporty so do not have much muscle tone etc and decided I want to be fitter and lose a bit of weight too. I am a UK size 10-12.
    I don't know a huge amount about fitness. Will this jogging help me lose weight? I am not interested in weighing myself, I judge by what I see in the mirror. I want slimmer hips and thighs and a firmer butt! But I don't really want my chest to get smaller...

I eat quite healthily most of the time. I don't drink alcohol or much fizzy drink. I am on the pill (read this makes weight loss/muscle gaining more difficult, not sure if that is true). I am a vegetarian (no meat or fish, don't eat egg really either).

Can't see much difference yet, but it is early days. Feel healthier for doing it. Would like to see visual/physical results too.

Advice from anyone who knows stuff?

ReputationRep:
    I've been running since the spring, and I'd say it would do that for you. Perhaps some tricep dips and sit ups would be good as well to keep your upper body toned and in proportion.

Edit: I'd strongly advise you to eat eggs for the high quality calories and protein. You might have a hard time otherwise with such a restrictive diet.

1) Simple equation really, you burn more calories than you eat, and you lose weight.

2) Targeted weight loss isn't possible. Meaning, you cant lose weight in one area only. You will lose weight from all parts of your body.

3) Some protein for muscle is recommended.

4) Cant say anything about the pill.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    try tofu for a protein rich alternative to eggs

ReputationRep:
    Or nuts. Buy a big pack of mixed fruit and nuts from the supermarket and use them as a post-run snack.

Try working in some sit ups and push ups too to keep your upper body toned. Remember to stretch properly.

When you're comfortable jogging for 30 mins, try going for a 10 min jog, then 5x 1 min run at 80% effort, 1 min recovery jog, then a 10 min jog to cool down. As you get used to it, slowly build up th number of reps and the speed you run at. Playing around with your speed keeps the run interesting

Finally, consider entering a race. You'll already manage a 5k easily so maybe think about a 10k? That's about an hour of continuous running at a moderate pace.

Good luck!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.