Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Horrible flatmates, is it easy to move out of university accom? watch

ReputationRep:
    When my flatmates and I all met, it was soon evident that I was a bit of an odd one out when it came to interests such as music, food, drink, types of pubs, movies. Even our courses are so different. I am studying creative writing and literature, and the three girls are studying stuff like Hospitality, festival managemet and accountancy. The way we dress is different, act, background, we have absolutely nothing in common apart from going to the same Uni and living together.

I know, this sounds like nothing, thats what I thought. But i should have known it was only going to be a matter of time before it was three best girlfriends... and me. I have never once complained about their loud noise, I am happy with earplugs and can sleep fine with them. I tried to make a show to the parties but it was clear i wasnt welcome at all, so I left without being noticed back to my room. I've tried to build bridges by buying wine but none of them were interested.

Since they have become their own little clique they have been singling me out and bullying me. Blaming anything wrong on me, taking over the kitchen so i can't cook, turning the taps on when i'm in the shower - deliberately, and even opening my mail. I never said anything because i don't want to start a fight I will definitely lose just by being outnumbered, so i kind of just have to put up with it. But it's getting really depressing now and I'm really unhappy. I feel like a guest in my own flat that I am paying equally for. They are now giving me the silent treatment and refusing to hear me or talk to me in person, despite me saying hi to everyone, even when i ask questions i am ignored blatantly. The only form of communication from them to me is passive agressive notes under the door and hearing them ***** about me outside my room.

Very unhappy Has anyone else had to go through the difficult process of moving out of university accomodation? I would appreciate any advice or any of your experiences so much. Thanks
    x

ReputationRep:
    At Manchester, if you choose to move out of university accommodation, you are liable to pay the rent, until the date the room is filled, and the university doesn't go out of it's way to fill that room for you. Ways around this are by finding someone to swap with, or seeing the university has any empty rooms you can move into.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    The accom office might be able to arrange a switch with someone else who isn't happy where they are living. I think at some unis there is a waiting list of people that want to move.

You might be able to request to move to a different flat in the same halls? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    Which uni? I know that within my halls, there's already been a few switches. One of my flatmate's friends was staying at another residence but didn't get on with his flatmates, so he's moving into the block next door to us today. I also know a few others who have swapped rooms. I guess it depends on the uni and what accommodation is available.

ReputationRep:
    why cant people just get on with their flatmates?

ReputationRep:
    It will depend on the uni, but I definitely think you should try to talk to them about opening your mail - isn't that illegal? Even so, it's bang out of order. If they don't listen, go and speak to the accomodation office about how you're being treated and see if they'd be able to move you anywhere.

ReputationRep:
    Silly *****es. Piss in their condiments and drinks whilst they're out.

ReputationRep:
    Opening someone else's mail is illegal. Report it to the accommodation office and get the *****es done for it. And demand a swap - I'm sure they'll be sympathetic to your needs if you explain that you are being bullied. You'd think people would stop being daft bints at university but unfortunately you're not the only one in this situation.

ReputationRep:
    How can people be so immature? That would piss me off now end.

ReputationRep:
    that sounds so awful! I was in the sort of same situtation as you last year, but I wasn't bullied like you! I went to Manchester, and I lived in halls with all girls who were all from London and all 'girly girls'. I'm from up North, and at college the majority of my friends were boys, and me and my flatmates had polar opposite interests in absolutely everything (ie. first night, they all dressed in bikini tops and neon tutus and asked me if I was coming out to a rave...whereas I prefer stuff like small bars and going to gigs etc.) So immediately I felt rather left out, and despite chatting to them and being extremely friendly, I just felt so depressed, especially as my other friends at Uni had found like best friends in their flatmates. I was only there for two weeks and I already heard one of them talking about me, which really upset me because I had been nothing but nice to everyone, so if i'd stayed it probably would have got worse! I went to the accommodation office and signed some form and formally left, and I was liable for rent until they filled my room. They didn't contact me for a month, and this time I was getting worried, so I made posters advertising my room and stuck them up everywhere and posted the ad in Facebook groups etc. Luckily, they found someone for my room about 3 days after I left but didn't bother to contact me! It's pretty easy to leave, and I think you can transfer accommodation until a certain date (I think mine was October), so it depends on your Uni so I'd ask at the accommodation office. The earlier you do it the better because they will have a big waiting list of people who need accommodation and will be filling that, but take things into your own hands because they will be filling up empty rooms as a priority over filling your room!

Good luck, sorry for the essay, but I sort of know how you feel - it's horrible when things don't turn out the way you thought they would. And as for opening your mail - that's illegal! I would definitely report them.

Chin up!

ReputationRep:
    What horrible *****es. Bad luck, OP, that must be really annoying.

So, to sum up:

1. They're opening your mail - that's illegal for starters
    2. They're deliberately making your life difficult by shunning you and talking about you behind your back
    3. They're systematically bullying you by preventing you from using shared facilities, and turning the taps on while you're in the shower

1 and 3 are quite possibly grounds for them to be kicked out of halls, let alone you transferring. Rest assured they won't get any kind of refund or help in finding alternative digs, so you're already 1-up.

I would speak to accommodation services (or equivalent) ASAP, and tell them exactly what's happening. Speak to your academic tutor, and try to explain to him or her that this could adversely affect your work and speak to the university student support or counselling services.

Sounds to me like you're in the right and always will be, tbh. There's every chance those girls will fail or drop out and that will be their comeuppance for all of this.

Just don't go postal and don't stoop to their level. You don't want to be the one being dragged away by L&B plod at 4am.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomInce6666)
    why cant people just get on with their flatmates?

She is clearly trying to make friends with them but they don't seem to be accepting it!Girls can be really mean and *****y and can take an instant dislike to girls, especailly quiet ones or girls who are different!

You should be able to transfer to a different room, most unis offer a room transfer? Good Luck , just be yourself not be somebody else:yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ohmyeffingod)
    studying stuff like Hospitality, festival managemet
    I hope student loans are not granted for this crap.

(Original post by baby sexy)
    I hope student loans are not granted for this crap.
    Unfortunately they are. Scotland's SAAS hands out piles of cash for any old bilge.

I've just noticed that the subjects they're doing might give away the University the OP's at, not that it's relevant.

ReputationRep:
    I am not at Uni yet but this is what Im rather scared of, being singled out by flat mates. Im thinking of commuting, so that I don't have to move out but that will cost a fortune. Im totally different than every other student what you would call "normal", and i tend to take a step back when it comes to confidence etc...Do you thinky you lot made the right decision?

ReputationRep:
    Not hard at all.

ReputationRep:
    Not hard at all.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.