Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    aaaaw, Im so sorry OP. Im not at uni yet so I cant really give good advice but I hope someone will help you.

Good luck :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ohmyeffingod)
    When my flatmates and I all met, it was soon evident that I was a bit of an odd one out when it came to interests such as music, food, drink, types of pubs, movies. Even our courses are so different. I am studying creative writing and literature, and the three girls are studying stuff like Hospitality, festival managemet and accountancy. The way we dress is different, act, background, we have absolutely nothing in common apart from going to the same Uni and living together.

I know, this sounds like nothing, thats what I thought. But i should have known it was only going to be a matter of time before it was three best girlfriends... and me. I have never once complained about their loud noise, I am happy with earplugs and can sleep fine with them. I tried to make a show to the parties but it was clear i wasnt welcome at all, so I left without being noticed back to my room. I've tried to build bridges by buying wine but none of them were interested.

Since they have become their own little clique they have been singling me out and bullying me. Blaming anything wrong on me, taking over the kitchen so i can't cook, turning the taps on when i'm in the shower - deliberately, and even opening my mail. I never said anything because i don't want to start a fight I will definitely lose just by being outnumbered, so i kind of just have to put up with it. But it's getting really depressing now and I'm really unhappy. I feel like a guest in my own flat that I am paying equally for. They are now giving me the silent treatment and refusing to hear me or talk to me in person, despite me saying hi to everyone, even when i ask questions i am ignored blatantly. The only form of communication from them to me is passive agressive notes under the door and hearing them ***** about me outside my room.

Very unhappy Has anyone else had to go through the difficult process of moving out of university accomodation? I would appreciate any advice or any of your experiences so much. Thanks
    x

hey
    they seem horrible mean and just *****y !
    If i were you I would tell the accom office about the opening of mail and how its hard and you NEED to switch halls and fingers crossed you get one , no one deserves what is happening to you..
    this worries me about when I move in on sunday now :/ ahh but one things for sure dont let them get to you , and eventually it will get sorted chin up
    good luck x
    p.s how long you been living there ?

ReputationRep:
    At times like this, I think 'what would Lisbeth Salander do?'.....

ReputationRep:
    I am not accusing you of lying here, but is it REALLY as bad as you have made it sound in the post? I just can't see girls you have only met like a week ago being like this to you for NO apperent reason. Was there something which you may have done?

Well if it is exactly as you have described and you find that you cannot move out, all I would advice is that just because they are your flat mates they don't have to be your only mates. Make a load of other friends e.g from courses, other flats. Go out and meet more people and just ignore them and get on with your life. Soon enough you'll forget about them, you cannot keep trying to make an effort when they don't care.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JmJtr)
    I am not accusing you of lying here, but is it REALLY as bad as you have made it sound in the post? I just can't see girls you have only met like a week ago being like this to you for NO apperent reason. Was there something which you may have done?

Well if it is exactly as you have described and you find that you cannot move out, all I would advice is that just because they are your flat mates they don't have to be your only mates. Make a load of other friends e.g from courses, other flats. Go out and meet more people and just ignore them and get on with your life. Soon enough you'll forget about them, you cannot keep trying to make an effort when they don't care.
    Unfortunately, this bull**** happens a lot at uni, and it starts happening quite quickly too. People are fickle when they first arrive, they want to be in with the cool crowd and are quick to shun anybody who doesn't quite "fit in".

ReputationRep:
    Why dont you try to stand up for yourself a bit?They are opening your mail! and quite clearly walking over you.Dont be a doormat.

ReputationRep:
    When my flatmates and I all met, it was soon evident that I was a bit of an odd one out when it came to interests such as music, food, drink, types of pubs, movies. Even our courses are so different. I am studying creative writing and literature, and the three girls are studying stuff like Hospitality, festival managemet and accountancy. The way we dress is different, act, background, we have absolutely nothing in common apart from going to the same Uni and living together.

I know, this sounds like nothing, thats what I thought. But i should have known it was only going to be a matter of time before it was three best girlfriends... and me. I have never once complained about their loud noise, I am happy with earplugs and can sleep fine with them. I tried to make a show to the parties but it was clear i wasnt welcome at all, so I left without being noticed back to my room. I've tried to build bridges by buying wine but none of them were interested.

Since they have become their own little clique they have been singling me out and bullying me. Blaming anything wrong on me, taking over the kitchen so i can't cook, turning the taps on when i'm in the shower - deliberately, and even opening my mail. I never said anything because i don't want to start a fight I will definitely lose just by being outnumbered, so i kind of just have to put up with it. But it's getting really depressing now and I'm really unhappy. I feel like a guest in my own flat that I am paying equally for. They are now giving me the silent treatment and refusing to hear me or talk to me in person, despite me saying hi to everyone, even when i ask questions i am ignored blatantly. The only form of communication from them to me is passive agressive notes under the door and hearing them ***** about me outside my room.

Very unhappy Has anyone else had to go through the difficult process of moving out of university accomodation? I would appreciate any advice or any of your experiences so much. Thanks
    x
    This is unacceptable imo. If you want to stay in a different halls of residence/different flat then i think you should definitely go to the accomodation office of your uni and ask to be moved. Lots of people drop out during the first few weeks (me and a friend both did lol) so it's likely they'll be able to move you.

But if you just want to move out of uni accomodation altogether it shouldn't cost that much to do. I dropped out of manchester last year, was there for about a month and only had to pay £100 in halls fees since i'd already made a deposit of £200 beforehand (so they just charged me for that month). I think that's because they find it easy to fill the rooms with someone else, so early on in the year.

Good luck with sorting the situation out

ReputationRep:
    I had this problem last year. Withing 2 days of meeting each other two of the girls I lived with had already switched courses so they had the same timetable. I didn't really have much of a problem with this as to start with we got on alright. I made the effort going out and cooking with them and stuff. However the one night I couldn't go out as I had an exam at 9am the next morning. They were quite miffed about it so when they came back at 4am banging my door I wasn't impressed. This progressed to them excluding me from things like flat shopping trips and laundry. When I stuck up for myself it got worse. They started stealing my food and turning the oven off when I was cooking. They posted stupid notes under my door and deliberately *****ed about me outside my room. I also found out before all this had happened they'd actually gone behind my back and signed for a house when I was supposed to be living with them.

I eventually moved out, however all those friends I made at the begginning of the year stopped talking to me and I found it hard to make new ones as my confidence had took quite a knock. I did move late in the year so if you do move you shouldn't have a problem making friends as you're not that far into the semester. I'm back in different halls this year and I'm so much happier and i love my flat mates

Sorry for the essay! I Hope it all works out for you OP

ReputationRep:
    Bloody hell! That's awful. The accommodation office should be understanding about your wanting to move, there are often people who drop out or also want to switch, you should find somewhere else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RAPSTER)
    She is clearly trying to make friends with them but they don't seem to be accepting it!Girls can be really mean and *****y and can take an instant dislike to girls, especailly quiet ones or girls who are different!

You should be able to transfer to a different room, most unis offer a room transfer? Good Luck , just be yourself not be somebody else:yes:
    This is the problem I have with two of the girls who live in my flat. They seem to have latched onto one another. Both are party girls you see, and well, i'm not, but I have other interests! But the only thing that seems to be on their agenda is drinking every single night. I've tried making conversation and what not, and being polite. But I can tell it's just an inconvenience for them to answer me, so now i've decided to keep my gob shut :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CookieDoughLove)
    This is the problem I have with two of the girls who live in my flat. They seem to have latched onto one another. Both are party girls you see, and well, i'm not, but I have other interests! But the only thing that seems to be on their agenda is drinking every single night. I've tried making conversation and what not, and being polite. But I can tell it's just an inconvenience for them to answer me, so now i've decided to keep my gob shut :o:

I feel your pain with them having different intrests as mine are full on party animals, well they like their drinking and spending huge amounts of money on going out.Whereas i prefer going for a swim, and going on my bike

ReputationRep:

x

In order to stop them opening your post, why not have the really important stuff sent to your home address. e.g. bank statements anything really personal. I know it won't help with other letters from family members

ReputationRep:
    burn the kitchen down and move out

ReputationRep:
    Just telling the uni that you are unhappy won't convince them. But over-exaggerating your situation and telling them that you may need to see a therapist for anxiety/depression issues will instantly get their attention

ReputationRep:
    It sounds to me like a change of halls is needed, rather than totally dropping out, as things are generally OK outside the flat. Try to get an exchange (there must be another ***** somewhere who is living with nice people and hating it, who would fit right in) or a transfer. Rooms will become free as people drop out, s this is a good time of year to move.
    Don't give up just yet, there is still hope.

ReputationRep:
    Opening someone else's post with intent to act to a persons detriment and without reasonable excuse is actually a criminal offence and it's possible you could get them in to a fair bit of trouble for that, should you wish to pursue it.

ReputationRep:
    I had a similar problem last year, I know how awful it is
    If you go to your personal tutor, they should sort something out. Especially if you say they're opening your mail.

ReputationRep:
    They sound like right nobs, just the sort of people I'd hate to move in with.
    I'd be looking to move out.

I accept all the housemates, and we're a very different bunch, the sort of people who single a person out and bully her in a houseshare because they don't like her need to seriously consider growing up. Degrees aren't for children.

ReputationRep:
    whats the update OP? i too am living with flatmates who are nothing like me (though im male), they dont bully me, but we dont talk and im annoyed that i have to share my living space with them.

ReputationRep:
    This happens a lot to girls who don't tend to be into going out a lot and don't have an out-going personality. They're just ripe targets for the nasty types.

Guys just generally get ignored or made fun of, women tend to be more cruel but karma will get them.

All that boozing will catch up with them and the noisy environments leads to a few other problems. I can't say ignore it but grow a thick skin and get out of the accom you're in.

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.