Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Which Access course should I do for PPS or Theology.

I've checked their site and they don't mention which access cousres are acceptable. Is Access to HE in social sciences and humanities acceptable?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    An Access to Social Science / Humanities is the one you should look at but try to find a college with a good reputation. Try and do some others as well, Open University, distance A-Levels, etc. Unless you're well into your twenties and have some decent life / work experience you are going to have to compete on paper with the phenomenal quality of the regular applicants.

There is more information in the Mature Students forum on this site.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be 23 soon. I'm thinking of applying either next year when I turn 24 or the year after. Also what do you mean by work/life exp? Do you know what they like? Thanks again.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I think too many people just out of school think they can take an 'Access course' and Cambridge will have to let them in.

Access courses are sort of in the teething stage, they vary widely in quality and having done one, I don't think for a moment that they call for the amount of work needed by 4 or 5 A-Levels. Admissions people know this, having seen a fair number of Access applicants. Thus, given that you are going to be compared to the best students in the country I would do everything possible to pad out your application.

There are mature students I have met who already have degrees, have worked in demanding careers for 10-20 years, have been in serious military positions, etc. Competition can be fierce. You need to research the course, know it inside out, love it, be able to communicate that passion, have thought seriously about what being in Cambridge for three years would mean as well as have a stack of high-quality work that you can produce, explain and argue about.

There are plenty of part-time or distance undergraduate level courses available without pre-requisites that would serve as good evidence of your ability and would pad out an application nicely.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by artymarti)
    Which Access course should I do for PPS or Theology.

I've checked their site and they don't mention which access cousres are acceptable. Is Access to HE in social sciences and humanities acceptable?

Thanks
    AQA Access to Social Sciences is considered 'standard'. And you need to get a distinction.

I recommend having a look at the open university's DD100 in social sciences. It's a very broad course which draws in lots of different aspects of the social sciences, and is a bit more like PPS than an access course... that said, the modern history covered in the AQA access has been really useful for contextualising the texts I'm currently reading on PPS.

If in doubt, speak to admissions tutors. Different colleges like different courses.

If you're doing OU courses, they generally like you to average 80% over five consecutive essays.

Good luck,

Pixie.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.