Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Insurance Quotes watch

Announcements
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by JoeMH)
    You need to be 18 or over to get a quote from them, i'm only 17.
    Never realised that. Sorry about that anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nialldotcom)
    your a boy and your car is a 1.4 and your paying 600£ HOWWW? how is that even possible.. whats your age?
    This year's quote has just come through...£525!!!

Go on your parents insurance?

ReputationRep:
    Im also confused about this!

I checked my insurance for an 18 year old guy on a 1.0 1999 Vauxal Corsa the MINIMUM was £2900.

I did that on GoCompare......are you saying they exaggerate the quotes? Would it best to phone up some companies?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    You think thats bad? I just got a quote for £12000 :O I think driving is a tad too expensive for at least a few years

ReputationRep:
    If you're sensible you'll not buy a car until you're about 21.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoeMH)
    I havent even passed yet mate, I was just gonna get a foundation to move on instead of getting quoted £4500 everywhere i look.
    I'm new here so I didn't know there was a cheap insurer thread so think before you spout your ****.
    Maybe you should think twice before you insult those trying to help you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zoof)
    Im also confused about this!

I checked my insurance for an 18 year old guy on a 1.0 1999 Vauxal Corsa the MINIMUM was £2900.

I did that on GoCompare......are you saying they exaggerate the quotes? Would it best to phone up some companies?

Thanks
    I've noticed you lately on several threads like this and I think it's time we help you out, you seem to have no clue.

A Vauxhall Corsa is considered a boy racers car so that is instantly going to push up your insurance.

Can I ask have you just passed your test? If so then you have no NCB and no claim free driving as a named driver on another car, which again is going to put up the price.

If you keep the car on the street instead of in a garage or drive that is also going to put up the price.

If you add your parents to the insurance it should bring it down quite a bit but don't look for less than £1500, you will be lucky to even get that.

Don't worry though, this time last year I was in this position but now I have a years claim free driving my insurance has plummeted, the first year is always going to be tough.

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe how cheap insurance can be if you look around!

I'm an 18 year old male with no NCB but one years claim free driving on another car and I recieved a quote of £870 a year fully comp on a 2008 Citroen C1, which im currently saving for.

I went back and added my parents to the policy and that price has dropped to £720 a year fully comp

Also by the time I buy my car I will have held my license for 2 full years so that will make it even cheaper when I'm taking out the policy.

Shop around everyone!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CalB92)
    I can't believe how cheap insurance can be if you look around!

I'm an 18 year old male with no NCB but one years claim free driving on another car and I recieved a quote of £870 a year fully comp on a 2008 Citroen C1, which im currently saving for.

I went back and added my parents to the policy and that price has dropped to £720 a year fully comp

Also by the time I buy my car I will have held my license for 2 full years so that will make it even cheaper when I'm taking out the policy.

Shop around everyone!
    What insurer is that?

ReputationRep:
    I've noticed you lately on several threads like this and I think it's time we help you out, you seem to have no clue.

A Vauxhall Corsa is considered a boy racers car so that is instantly going to push up your insurance.

Can I ask have you just passed your test? If so then you have no NCB and no claim free driving as a named driver on another car, which again is going to put up the price.

If you keep the car on the street instead of in a garage or drive that is also going to put up the price.

If you add your parents to the insurance it should bring it down quite a bit but don't look for less than £1500, you will be lucky to even get that.

Don't worry though, this time last year I was in this position but now I have a years claim free driving my insurance has plummeted, the first year is always going to be tough.

Brilliant , thanks mate! Yeah was really struggling!
    Have another question you might sigh at....sorry. But , what kind of car is good for low insurance as a young driver? Any particular make thats considered very unsporty etc?

Thanks again!

ReputationRep:
    Stop looking at cars favoured by 17 year old boys, start looking at cars which are relatively boring, family cars.
    Theres your cheap insurance.

Most of those questions are "How long is a piece of string" kind of questions, they're impossible to answer accurately.

1. Theory test is largely common sense, have a bang on hazard perception before you go in though.

2. No idea mate, I haven't run quotes for you situation.

3. Unless your parents are the main drivers, you are commiting fraud if you claim they are on your policy. Which will invalidate your insurance, driving without insurance carrys heavy penaltys not to mention commiting fraud and the £30k beemer damaged someone will sue you for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zoof)
    Have another question you might sigh at....sorry. But , what kind of car is good for low insurance as a young driver? Any particular make thats considered very unsporty etc?

Thanks again!
    No problem!

Well cars like the Toyota Aygo, Yaris, Peugeot 107, Citroen C1 because they are all in the lowest possible insurance group.

You could probably fetch a tidy 2005 model for about £3000.

Those cars also benefit from having £20 a year road tax and about 65mpg.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R. Murray)
    What insurer is that?
    Admiral

I'll point out that the cheapest was £720, the 2nd cheapest was £760 and the 3rd cheapest was £1800, so that show you really have to shop around.

ReputationRep:
    Going through a million practice tests on the official dvd will help lots, a lot of the same questions crop up and you'll soon remember the answers even if you didn't read them from the highway code book.

In regards to the car insurance, do you want to be the main driver? 'Cos that'll make the insurance go up so much (I went from paying £2000 when my mum was the main driver to almost £4000 when we changed it to me as the main driver, and I'm a girl!). When my boyfriend was looking for cars, he found that old-ish cars like 106s, corsas at around R to V reg were being insured for about £800, but this was on the same insurance as his parents.

So yeah, good luck .

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah, they were on Admiral, they seem to be the cheapest, and it was for third party insurance.

ReputationRep:
    Admiral

I'll point out that the cheapest was £720, the 2nd cheapest was £760 and the 3rd cheapest was £1800, so that show you really have to shop around.
    Damn, I'm with admiral - One year NCB, paying £980 for 10 months bonus accelerator policy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zoof)

Thanks again!
    You know how you were saying that you got a quote of £2900 for a 1999 Corsa?

Well I just got a quote for a brand new 2010 Corsa limited edition with artic white VXR bodykit for £813 fully comp with admiral.

You should try again and see if you have put something in wrong.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.