Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm a Geordie, and obviously I know the nightlife is immense up here. I also hear positive things about the Nottingham student life - very vibrant and active.

They both have really good reputations for Law aswell. Living locally, I know Northumbria is really good but Nottingham Trent ranks higher on both Sunday Times, Guardian and The Complete University Guide.
    I was wondering, are these reliable sources? is trent better than Northumbria for law? I'm looking to move away aswell, but if Northumbria is as good as people say, I may be convinced to stay.

Can you base your opinion on.
    Nightlife
    University
    City - things to do.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Newcastle has better nightlife I'm sure. I don't know anything about Nottingham Trent, although I know a few people who go to Northumbria and they say a lot of positive things about it. Again, city-wise, I'd go for Newcastle although I believe Nottigham is bigger and maybe you fancy a change of city??? Also, consider other universities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justiceisjust)
    I'm a Geordie, and obviously I know the nightlife is immense up here. I also hear positive things about the Nottingham student life - very vibrant and active.

They both have really good reputations for Law aswell. Living locally, I know Northumbria is really good but Nottingham Trent ranks higher on both Sunday Times, Guardian and The Complete University Guide.
    I was wondering, are these reliable sources? is trent better than Northumbria for law? I'm looking to move away aswell, but if Northumbria is as good as people say, I may be convinced to stay.

Nightlife
    University
    City - things to do.

Thanks!
    lol i did'nt mean to but when you said you were a Geordie i read this thread in a Geordie accent. lol
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

Nightlife
    University
    City - things to do.

Thanks!
    My sister did Law at Nottingham Trent University. She's a posh reliable solicitor now. Theres my source (and yours).

Well I'm looking to study at university too. My sister said Nottingham has great night life. I don't know what Nottingham has in terms of tourism (I haven't asked her about this either), but it has the best night life thats all I can say. She said its great. And best of all (these are her words not mine), "NTU (Nottingham Trent University) has the highest employability in the UK after graduation." (Thats according to my sister and NTU though). :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boreism)
    My sister did Law at Nottingham Trent University. She's a posh reliable solicitor now. Theres my source (and yours).

Well I'm looking to study at university too. My sister said Nottingham has great night life. I don't know what Nottingham has in terms of tourism (I haven't asked her about this either), but it has the best night life thats all I can say. She said its great. And best of all (these are her words not mine), "NTU (Nottingham Trent University) has the highest employability in the UK after graduation." (Thats according to my sister and NTU though). :dontknow:
    yeah, i've heard really positive things about Trent for Law.
    it does have a good employability reputation, from what I have heard from numerous sources!

ReputationRep:
    Nightlife
    University
    City - things to do.
    Are you looking to apply for the LPC/BVC exempting degree at Northumbria?

This, and location, do seem to be the two differences.

I don't think there's a significant amount of difference between the two in terms of the standing of their law schools.

I thnk this largely comes down to whether you went to move away or not and, if you have/are going to apply for the LPC/BVC exempting degree at Northumbria, whether this is enough to persuade you to chose Northumbria.

I won't go into any detail about what Newcastle can offer as a city. I'm sure you already know most, if not all, of what I can tell you. But Nottingham is also a large city. Any city with thousands of students, especially one located in a city of a decent size, can offer plenty to do and a great student life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    Are you looking to apply for the LPC/BVC exempting degree at Northumbria?

This, and location, do seem to be the two differences.

I don't think there's a significant amount of difference between the two in terms of the standing of their law schools.

I thnk this largely comes down to whether you went to move away or not and, if you have/are going to apply for the LPC/BVC exempting degree at Northumbria, whether this is enough to persuade you to chose Northumbria.

I won't go into any detail about what Newcastle can offer as a city. I'm sure you already know most, if not all, of what I can tell you. But Nottingham is also a large city. Any city with thousands of students, especially one located in a city of a decent size, can offer plenty to do and a great student life.
    yeah, well as I said I'm a geordie and I'm aware that it's one of the best cities for nightlife and things. I was talking about the exempting at Northumbria

both Law degrees and then the LPC

ReputationRep:
    Northumbria and Trent have similar academic reputations for law.

The "party central" designation tends to move round with fashion. 5 or 6 years ago it was probably Nottingham but it seems to have moved on to Newcastle. There is noticeably less "life" in Nottingham city centre at night than there was. That isn't to say that it is dead but it wasn't what it was a few years ago.

A significant thing is where you want to practice. Both of their reputations are greatest on their own doorsteps.

ReputationRep:
    Notts Trent has a very practical hands on approach to law.
    I never looked round Northumbria, so I can't really compare, but I really did like Notts Trent when I looked around. They also offer a course where you can do your LPC as part of the degree which was a course I really liked the look of.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jkmm91)
    , I'd go for Newcastle although I believe Nottigham is bigger and maybe you fancy a change of city??? Also, consider other universities.
    Newcastle's size is quite misleading.

It does have a compact city centre (which I think is a positive thing as it's easy to navigate and cuts down on travel costs) and as a city it only has a population of around 300,000 placing it at around 20 or so in the country. So modest for what's considered to be a major city.

But it dominates the Tyneside conurbation. So if you take that as being "Greater Newcastle", a wider urban area, you're looking at the best part of one million and one of the largest urban areas in the country.

So despite having a modest population compared to Glasgow, Manchester, Liverpool, Leeds, Sheffield or Bristol, when looking at the city itself, it's still always carried significant importance and has the facilities to rival any of those cities.

I agree that one main deciding factor probably is whether to move away or not as there is negligible difference between the two.

(Original post by nulli tertius)
    The "party central" designation tends to move round with fashion. 5 or 6 years ago it was probably Nottingham but it seems to have moved on to Newcastle. There is noticeably less "life" in Nottingham city centre at night than there was. That isn't to say that it is dead but it wasn't what it was a few years ago.
    Yeah, there's always this on going cycle of popularity.

Nottingham was certainly the popular city of the late 90s, early 00s. The possibly briefly Manchester (regaining a status it perhaps had pre-Nottingham) and, from around 2004, Newcastle.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 29, 2010

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.