Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it offensive to call a Welshman/woman a sheep shagger? watch

ReputationRep:
    I have really been wondering yes or no, cos some comments on youtube and other places say yes it is, this is one of the reasons why the Welsh hate the English, others say no, the Welsh don't get offended by that. Which is true?

Here is also a video concerning this issue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8N_jIqY4BA

ReputationRep:
    If anyone called me a sheep shagger, i'd feel a little bit insulted and i'm not even welsh.. so i imagine it does.. maybe not in any great way, but still.

ReputationRep:
    After 2 years in London I'm still getting sheep jokes. English people find them hysterical for some reason, whereas after this amount of time I just find them mildly irritating (unless they're actually original and funny).

I don't find them offensive though.

ReputationRep:
    you absolute numpty, of course it's offensive! but it's funny though so that makes it okay

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I think it's offensive. Some Welsh people won't be offended, because they see that it's usually meant in jest, but still..
    I'm not even Welsh and I think it's stupid and unfunny. It's quite a distasteful and slightly racist comment to make, imo.

ReputationRep:
    It's all a bit silly to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    That's like telling a guy with one leg "yo dude - you have one leg you know?" - it's the truth but it's unnecessary to point it out. I'm fairly sure the welsh don't like to be reminded of their sheep-shagging tendencies.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on how the person said it.... it's more irritating than offensive. I like being Welsh!

ReputationRep:
    yep

ReputationRep:
    Surely if you just shouted it at some Welsh bloke on the street it's going to be offensive, but my old music teacher was Welsh and we all had a good chuckle about it occasionally, and he'd even chip in sometimes. Like pretty much everything, you can joke about it if you have a friendship where you take the piss out of each other.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't really bother me at all. :P It doesn't really mean anything.

ReputationRep:
    I hardly ever see sheep in wales tbh .......... :/
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by evilbethan)
    It doesn't really bother me at all. :P It doesn't really mean anything.
    Yeah- i totally agree

ReputationRep:
    insulting the welsh is perfectly fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the writer)
    insulting the welsh is perfectly fine
    :yes:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Joking... Sometimes older people make jokes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jordanaimee)
    I hardly ever see sheep in wales tbh .......... :/
    Did you check the red light district?

ReputationRep:
    I think welsh is rather nice

ReputationRep:
    Hot welsh chicks are sheeps to be shagged actually.

The men neglect them too much.

ReputationRep:
    As I say to every non-Valleys person I meet: "What do you call a sheep tied to a lamp-post in the middle of Cardiff? A leisure centre!" [I believe the credit for that goes to Rob Brydon]

I really don't find it offensive in the slightest. I went to Mallorca and the Catalans were like "Have you ever shagged a sheep? If I come over, can I do it?" and making jokes from both sides of the metaphorical fence. It's really just over-sensitive people who get offended by it. So what, the sheep outnumber us slightly; screw it (or them...)

ReputationRep:
    Is that the best chavs can come up with nowadays... 'sheep shagger'? Not the most witty of nicknames is it... and I'm not even Welsh. In response to your question, yes, it probably is offensive.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 4, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.