Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I don't have A Level Maths unfortunately so couldn't just apply to Computer Games Technology at Abertay but they told me of Computer Games Application Development instead - (http://www.abertay.ac.uk/studying/find/ug/cgad/) of which I know nothing about or if it's even that good. I'm also looking at Derby's Games Programming course.

Hi, I' studying at Abertay uni and my course is Computer games application development (CGAD), its very similar to Computer games technolgy (CGT), infact only one of four modules is different each semester. The difference is that CGAD has less of a focus on maths and does moudles on AI (in third year) and UDK engine, Java phone progamming and well some maths. Aside from that you take modules in PS2 developement, windows programming, Directx, Opengl, all of which is C++. Optional modules are avaible such as sound engineering, japenese, python, games tools programming and more (Can't remember).

During third year you particapate in group project where you work together to build a prototpye game for clients such as sony and mircosoft and these can may end up being make into full games, by the client or yourself if your lucky.

All in all its a very good course, although virtually the same as CGT, also Abertay is now the centre for excellence for computer games realted stuff, its pretty awesome.

p.s. If games programming is where you want to go then focus on learning any language that you can (preferrably C/C++), the principles of programming carry across all languages

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I would deffo recommend Derby uni if you want to go down the games, programming, animation etc route. My boyfriend is doing CGMA and the teachers there are fantastic! Hes had loads of good companies come in and give advice and stuff like Crytech (Dont know if thats the right spelling) some huge company from london who do films too.

But yeah, it really is a good uni

Come to one of our open days:

http://www.derby.ac.uk/opendays
    http://www.derby.ac.uk/index.php?nod...nid=&objectid=

hope this helps!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Since this thread has once more been resurrected: To get into the games industry do a proper course. Honestly, just about any maths, physics or computer science course is better preparation for a career in the games industry- check the "job requirements" pages of most major and minor studios to see what I'm talking about. Learning basic problem-solving and how to write code efficiently is held in significantly higher regard than being able to knee-jerk code in the fashionable language of the moment.

In that vein, doing Game Development at Derby just because they hire an engineer to come in and do a talk every month or so is not a good idea. It doesn't matter if it's "more fun", "fun" doesn't beget a good solid education.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roblee)
    Since this thread has once more been resurrected: To get into the games industry do a proper course. Honestly, just about any maths, physics or computer science course is better preparation for a career in the games industry- check the "job requirements" pages of most major and minor studios to see what I'm talking about. .
    http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/ugprospec...mputingcourses

MEng Computing (Games, Vision and Interaction)
    Imperial do games?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by FinalMH)
    http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/ugprospec...mputingcourses

MEng Computing (Games, Vision and Interaction)
    Imperial do games?
    That's a set of Meng modules supplementary to a BSc in Computer Science, not a standalone course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roblee)
    That's a set of Meng modules supplementary to a BSc in Computer Science, not a standalone course.
    btw you do know computing is different compare to computer science right? just wondering

ReputationRep:
    btw you do know computing is different compare to computer science right? just wondering
    In what regard?
    It is just a name.

"Computing" at IC is just the same as "Computer Science" at any other university in the same league as it.

ReputationRep:
    Actually, it is just a different name for the course. It is Computer Science.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexmsf)
    Actually, it is just a different name for the course. It is Computer Science.
    naa it depend's some places have it different so i won't sure

ReputationRep:
    Programming languages are really not important, once you understand the concepts you can pick up a new language in a couple of days. I speak from experience, and you can see from my signature that I am not making this up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eliotball)
    Programming languages are really not important, once you understand the concepts you can pick up a new language in a couple of days. I speak from experience, and you can see from my signature that I am not making this up.
    I'm starting to think of java and c# to be pretty identical ideologically, although there still are niggly little things like style conventions to familiarise yourself with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gamer91)
    I'm starting to think of java and c# to be pretty identical ideologically, although there still are niggly little things like style conventions to familiarise yourself with.
    Yeah, they are broadly the same.

ReputationRep:
    ^ As are most programming languages in the same paradigm. Bear in mind that languages really don't matter too much. They all do the same thing, and a skilled programmer shouldn't be bound to a single (set of) languages.

ReputationRep:
    Do a degree in Mathematics or Physics. You will have lectures in MatLab and C++ (nearly same). Plus yours "advanced" knowledge of mechanics and Complex systems will be more valuable thn yours ability to model flying pig in
    3D Max.
    Yes you have to do MATHS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Damix)
    MatLab and C++ (nearly same)
    LOL

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 25, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.