Turn on thread page Beta

2 quick questions .. watch

ReputationRep:
    For the past few months my dad's been teaching me how to drive, and to date ive had around 9 or 10 lessons in his clio, which is a diesel

Q1. When it comes to my practical test, can I just book a driving instructor to come to my house and test me in my dads car? Or is there some rule prohibiting that, meaning I will have to sit the test in the instructors car? (ive heard these are generally petrol- and I don't like the sound of that now that I'm used to my dads car, -a diesel)

Q2. Ive also heard that I need to have had at least 3 lessons from a qualified driving instructor (my dads not one of those ), before I can take the test,.. Is this true?

Thanks..

ReputationRep:
    Theres a difference between a petrol and a diesel car ?:eek: :confused:
    (apart from the obvious)
    Sorry i dont know, i dont see why you would need lessons from an instructor though, your still paying for the test, its not their problem if you fail.
    Im sure you wont, Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M|chael)
    For the past few months my dad's been teaching me how to drive, and to date ive had around 9 or 10 lessons in his clio, which is a diesel

Q1. When it comes to my practical test, can I just book a driving instructor to come to my house and test me in my dads car? Or is there some rule prohibiting that, meaning I will have to sit the test in the instructors car? (ive heard these are generally petrol- and I don't like the sound of that now that I'm used to my dads car, -a diesel)

Q2. Ive also heard that I need to have had at least 3 lessons from a qualified driving instructor (my dads not one of those ), before I can take the test,.. Is this true?

Thanks..
    1 - You drive to the test centre where you booked your test, and you can take the test in your dad's car. The assessor doesn't do tests in their car.

2 - You do not need to take any lessons, technically.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunny_veggies)
    Theres a difference between a petrol and a diesel car ?:eek: :confused:
    (apart from the obvious)
    Sorry i dont know, i dont see why you would need lessons from an instructor though, your still paying for the test, its not their problem if you fail.
    Im sure you wont, Good luck
    there is loads of differences.

a diesel has lots of torque at low revs so you can set off really by just lifting the clutch, but with a petrol you need to push down the accelerator more.

and a diesel is not as good to drive IMO since they seem to "run out" of revs quickly but when you change up there isn't much power

ReputationRep:
    It might be worth having a couple of lessons anyway. Your dad wil be teaching you how to drive properly, whereas instructors will teach you how to pass the test. A test in your own car will also cost more than in an instructor's car, another reason it might be worth one or two lessons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JDI)
    It might be worth having a couple of lessons anyway. Your dad wil be teaching you how to drive properly, whereas instructors will teach you how to pass the test. A test in your own car will also cost more than in an instructor's car, another reason it might be worth one or two lessons.
    Really?

ReputationRep:
    Really really. I guess for insurance reasons: instructors' cars have dual controls which reduces chances of examiner death.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JDI)
    Really really. I guess for insurance reasons: instructors' cars have dual controls which reduces chances of examiner death.
    This link says otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    ty for the replies..
    Ive been reading the guidelines and it seems you need to be named as a primary driver for your insurance policy?..
    meh , i think ill just find an examiner with a diesel car

ReputationRep:
    That website also states "Your car must be insured for purpose."

(Original post by Kevmeister)
    This link says otherwise.
    Where are you reading on that page?

If you're talking about the "Test fees for ADIs", I think that's the cost of the test to qualify as an ADI, not to take the test in their car. I took mine in my instructor's car and paid the £62.00 cited.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JDI)
    That website also states "Your car must be insured for purpose."
    Isnt that what I just said?

ReputationRep:
    Isnt that what I just said? or does that mean something else?

Yeah yeah, it is . My point was a response to Kevmeister.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tortious)
    Where are you reading on that page?

If you're talking about the "Test fees for ADIs", I think that's the cost of the test to qualify as an ADI, not to take the test in their car. I took mine in my instructor's car and paid the £62.00 cited.
    Read the post I was replying to.

And no, I did not mean the ADI test, if I did I'd have linked to that page.

So you paid the same fee that anyone would pay, right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JDI)
    Yeah yeah, it is . My point was a response to Kevmeister.
    And what's your point?

If he's insured to drive the car then passengers are insured. It's not a hard concept to grasp.

Also, are you going to admit you were wrong about it being cheaper in an instructor's car?

(Original post by Kevmeister)
    Read the post I was replying to.

And no, I did not mean the ADI test, if I did I'd have linked to that page.

So you paid the same fee that anyone would pay, right?
    Sorry, I misinterpreted what you said - I thought you were implying that taking the test in an ADI's car was more expensive (i.e. "not cheaper" ).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tortious)
    Sorry, I misinterpreted what you said - I thought you were implying that taking the test in an ADI's car was more expensive (i.e. "not cheaper" ).
    No worries.

ty for the replies..
    Ive been reading the guidelines and it seems you need to be named as a primary driver for your insurance policy?..
    meh , i think ill just find an examiner with a diesel car
    Are you insured on the car? If so, it's insured for it's purpose. The test is not an instructional exercise, your car doesn't have to have dual controls. As long as the car is road worthy and you're insured to drive then it's fine.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I took my driving test in my own car. I drove to the test centre (with my mum supervising) and the only stipulation was that an extra little mirror had to be stuck to the rearview mirror. It certainly didn't have dual controls.

I was a named driver on the insurance policy, not the primary driver, and it didn't cost any different to a normal test. Hth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tuppenny)
    Hth.
    Yes it did, thanks
    Im not a named driver at the moment, but ill sort it out before the test.
    thanks for all your help
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Yes it did, thanks
    Im not a named driver at the moment, but ill sort it out before the test.
    thanks for all your help
    No problem I found it much easier in my own car.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.