Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I just had a main head light bulb go on my car, i've managed to fix it, but when i go to put it back, the little piece of metal that holds the bulb in, was taken out as well, i've tried every way to put it back in with the the piece of metal wire thingy? lol. I've looked for photos online of how the metal is supposed to sit behind the bulb, but can't find even my mate came round to help lol and he has a focus!!! so any help please or links with a picture. Many thanks!:yes:

ReputationRep:
    Ask on the focus owners forum, much more specific advice there.

ReputationRep:
    If it's anything like my car's fitting then it will be a shaped wire with the two ends pointing in opposite directions. Somewhere behind the bulb will be two raised bits of metal with a gap behind it. You'll be aiming to squeeze the clasp and put the ends in there.
    I've drawn a very excellent diagram for you:

Have you had a look at the other headlight bulb fitting? That might help.

ReputationRep:
    Oh I had a S reg focus, it was a dual filament H4 bulb (the later ones had two separate bulbs for high and low beam).

it was a metal clip that had to clip round a fixed plastic lug, a clumsy MOT tester snapped off the plastic lug for me while helpfully changing a bulb that had nothing wrong with it. Yeah usually it's metal on fords and presumably every other sensible car but on my focus at least it was plastic.

The bulb rattled around a bit after that as there was nothing there for the clip to clip onto - I fixed it with a folded up green panscrubber which wedged between the 'door' of the headlight bulb access box and the connector block on the back of the bulb to push the bulb forward into it's mount.

if you're going to put something in there make sure it's not metal and also not likely to catch fire.

and if anything goes wrong with it I didn't say it'd be alright.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    Oh I had a S reg focus, it was a dual filament H4 bulb (the later ones had two separate bulbs for high and low beam).

it was a metal clip that had to clip round a fixed plastic lug, a clumsy MOT tester snapped off the plastic lug for me while helpfully changing a bulb that had nothing wrong with it. Yeah usually it's metal on fords and presumably every other sensible car but on my focus at least it was plastic.

The bulb rattled around a bit after that as there was nothing there for the clip to clip onto - I fixed it with a folded up green panscrubber which wedged between the 'door' of the headlight bulb access box and the connector block on the back of the bulb to push the bulb forward into it's mount.

if you're going to put something in there make sure it's not metal and also not likely to catch fire.

and if anything goes wrong with it I didn't say it'd be alright.
    Nothing to stop the OP nipping down to a scrappy and getting a clip from another focus. Hell, you could even get that out in your pocket without them knowing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R. Murray)
    Nothing to stop the OP nipping down to a scrappy and getting a clip from another focus. Hell, you could even get that out in your pocket without them knowing!
    The wire clip itself was OK on mine - the brittle plastic peg it hooks over had snapped off. I couldn't see an easy way of doing anything about it, it was so awkward you needed a dentists mirror or something to see what was going on, I think you'd have to take the whole headlight out to try any sort of repair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    The wire clip itself was OK on mine - the brittle plastic peg it hooks over had snapped off. I couldn't see an easy way of doing anything about it, it was so awkward you needed a dentists mirror or something to see what was going on, I think you'd have to take the whole headlight out to try any sort of repair.
    It's awkward but it can be done. The clip on my dad's C5 came off and I got it back on with him holding a mirror and holding the suspension fluid reservoir back so I could get my hand in. It's always worth tying a cord to it and onto something in the engine bay so if you drop it it's not lost. Make sure you figure out which way the clip is to face - nothing worse than getting it only to find it's in the wrong way!

Car manufacturers should make access to the headlights far easier - it's getting to the stage that you can't replace a bulb without dismantling half the car.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.