Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Right guys, start off by saying I drive a 12-13 year old Fiat Punto.

It failed its MOT today for 2 reasons:

1. Offside rear Trailing arm has excessive play in a pin/bush (2.4.G.3)
    2. Nearside front Suspension component mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded (2.4.A.2).

Now, my question is, how much d'yall reckon it will cost me to have these things repaired?

ReputationRep:
    The bushing will be cheap to fix. You could do that on your driveway with £30s worth of parts in an hour or so. The rust will be the expensive bit, as all the rusted section will need to be cut out and a suitable new section fabricated and welded in. This may well cost more than the car is worth, so get a couple of quotes before you dive in.

ReputationRep:
    Im not really sure, but id get a couple of quotes before you let any garage do anything as you want to know how much it will cost first, especially if its going to cost more than the car is worth.

ReputationRep:
    Go to a scrappy, get parts, fit them yourself. It'll cost basically nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Megaross)
    Go to a scrappy, get parts, fit them yourself. It'll cost basically nothing.
    Hmmm, I really wish I could buy welding at the scrappy :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuffles)
    Hmmm, I really wish I could buy welding at the scrappy :rolleyes:
    Welding is piss easy, just borrow the kit. Everyone knows a mate who at least knows a mate with a mig welder.

Unless you live in an extremely middle class area where no one has a proper job anyway.

ReputationRep:
    MiG welding bodywork :eek:

TiG or Gas, MiG is a bit too powerful for normal bodywork. You will just blow holes. Chassis is fine, but 1mm thick bodywork is not going to like MiG!

ReputationRep:
    Welding is piss easy, just borrow the kit. Everyone knows a mate who at least knows a mate with a mig welder.

Unless you live in an extremely middle class area where no one has a proper job anyway.
    Bodywork is easy yes, but I wouldn't want to ride in a car which had passed an MOT because a n00b had welded up the chassis, especially around the suspension mountings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuffles)
    Bodywork is easy yes, but I wouldn't want to ride in a car which had passed an MOT because a n00b had welded up the chassis, especially around the suspension mountings.
    I wouldn't want to do drive a 13 year old punto, let alone pay someone to fix a car that bad.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't want to do drive a 13 year old punto, let alone pay someone to fix a car that bad.
    Good point - fine sir :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Woah woah woah! Lets not insult my car, ok?

I know it's crap, but it's all I can afford so... yeah:cool:

ReputationRep:
    Welding's not too bad if you can set the kit up properly, but would you really want to trust your first welds with your life? I know I wouldn't, I pulled my first weld apart with my hands. Not to mention that it's pretty easy to send a car up in smoke with a welder - know a fair few stories where that's happened!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.