Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If every student is paying £3000 a year tuition, and that amount is presumably at least matched by the government, and the uni has about 20,000 students, thats quite a lot of cash.

Im not pretending unis dont have running costs, but where does the bulk of it go?

Do arts students, who barely have any contact time and basically educate themselves, just subsidise the science students and their labs etc?

ReputationRep:
    Research I guess.

ReputationRep:
    99% admin

1% teaching, researching, building new facilities, maintaining old facilities, running halls, etc.

At least, that seems to be the case. Apparently people smart enough to do a PhD can't manage finances :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Stupid question, but when you say they pay for research, what exactly are they paying for? I can understand scientific research, but humanities??

ReputationRep:
    Most research is funded directly by grants. Some of the university's spend is on research either through money allocated by HEFCE based on the RAE or by university-funded studentships. Most is on salaries of staff, upkeep of buildings, new buildings, IT and administration - pretty much like any large organisation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shari-B)
    This. Plus library, sports facilities, food outlets etc etc etc
    I kind of thought I had libraries and sports facilities covered by upkeep of buildings, IT and administration. Food outlets should at least be breaking even even on a university campus.

ReputationRep:
    I'd imagine money also goes to the Student Union and Accommodation for Students etc, basically.

ReputationRep:
    One university takes £60million out of our back pockets every year :O! That's ludacris! WTF do they do with ALL that money..greedy buggers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T-Toe)
    One university takes £60million out of our back pockets every year :O! That's ludacris! WTF do they do with ALL that money..greedy buggers.

£60 million isn't a lot of money for something the size of a university. The wage bill for the university of Nottingham was over £250 million last year.

ReputationRep:
    Llamas. :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistBoy)
    £60 million isn't a lot of money for something the size of a university.
    but every year?

ReputationRep:
    Academic resources cost an absolute fortune. You ever searched for an article on JSTOR or the like without being logged in? I've seen some that cost as much as $50 to purchase. On top of that, my university employes over 6,000 staff. That's not cheap by a long shot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T-Toe)
    but every year?
    Yes, every year. As I said, the wage bill for an average university is going to be at least that much every year if not considerably more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 99 Red Balloons)
    Stupid question, but when you say they pay for research, what exactly are they paying for? I can understand scientific research, but humanities??
    This is what I mean. I can see a few million for scientific research, but I cant see that many costs for humanities research other than just paying the salaries of the people doing it.

And for the cost of accomodation, you already have students paying an extortionat amount for that as well.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.