Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Basically I'm 21 and would like to do a business course at Swansea uni. I dont have the required points to do the course but im hoping to do an Access Course part time as I work through the week.

My first question is - is it possible to do the course in 1 year part time?

Secondly I need to get a C grade in GCSE maths. Would it be a good idea to put maths as part of my Access course as well as studying sperately for GCSE maths?

Cheers in advance,

Joe

ReputationRep:
    First question: Probably not, though it depends on how many hours you work and how flexible you can be. Most access courses run during the daytime and are 3-4 days a week. There are evening access courses, but these tend to be over 2 years.

Second question: The access course already has GCSE equivilency Maths as part of the core skills, so generally you won't need to do it separately. Check with your uni to be sure though, because some universities request specifically that you have a GCSE in certain subjects. (Check by ringing/emailing them, don't just go off their website).

Good luck! But be quick now because most access courses have already started and are over-subscribed! You might find yourself having to start in January or next September...

ReputationRep:
    From my access course, we are doing double maths are part of it. And I thought I would point out that people who are doing gcse maths while doing double maths are aready struggling to keep up. Could be alot of reason for this, but I am guessing because the whole access course is level 3 now and the gcse is only level 2, that maybe why.

But if gcse maths is enough for uni then maybe you dont need to worry about additional maths on your access course.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers guys. Main reason I thought I'd do both was because I'm so bad at it that i thought it may help me get C (previously F in school)

But if theres no reason to do both if Access can be used then maybe thats the better option....

ReputationRep:
    I'm also 21, doing an Access to Business course with Maths modules and doing Maths and English GCSEs seperate in the evenings. Every University I have asked, say that they require at least a C or a B in GCSE Maths. Only lesser Universities like Middlesex and Derby accept the GCSE "equivalents" in Maths. Therefore, I have chosen to do Maths and English GCSE part time seperate from my Access Course.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Access to Science with GCSE maths (applying for Pharmacy/Pharmacology/Biochemistry at uni).

If you have the time to put the effort into it, do the GCSE maths over level 2 numeracy. The L2 numeracy is really very basic, just involves multiple choice questions on a computer for a set amount of weeks. The GCSE involves course work and exams and carries so much more weight in terms of uni applications.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ½+½)
    I'm doing Access to Science with GCSE maths (applying for Pharmacy/Pharmacology/Biochemistry at uni).

If you have the time to put the effort into it, do the GCSE maths over level 2 numeracy. The L2 numeracy is really very basic, just involves multiple choice questions on a computer for a set amount of weeks. The GCSE involves course work and exams and carries so much more weight in terms of uni applications.
    Hii

Im doing the science access course aswel along with maths gcse. Im going to be applying for pharmacy aswel, where are you applying??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ifti999)
    Hii

Im doing the science access course aswel along with maths gcse. Im going to be applying for pharmacy aswel, where are you applying??
    My shortlist so far is pharmacy and pharmacology at Bath, pharmacology and biochemisty at Bristol and biological and medicinal chemistry at Exeter. These may change though, I'm starting to reconsider pharmacology due to the ethics involved.

University open days

• University of Chichester
    Multiple Departments Undergraduate
    Thu, 25 Oct '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 26 Oct '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Oct '18
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.