Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, does anyone know if there are any themed/fancy dress parties? It's just that I don't want to be one of the people who comes to a safari party wearing jeans and a polo shirt. Grrrrr broken britain.

I had found the in depth schedule for freshers, but can't seem to find it again :confused:

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on which hall you're in, I think? See the hall's facebook page for more info.

ReputationRep:
    There WILL be fancy dress parties, but you possibly will not know until you get there. If you are in halls, they might have a freshers' facebook group.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Max I)
    Hi, does anyone know if there are any themed/fancy dress parties? It's just that I don't want to be one of the people who comes to a safari party wearing jeans and a polo shirt. Grrrrr broken britain.

I had found the in depth schedule for freshers, but can't seem to find it again :confused:

Thanks in advance.
    Hiatt Baker's schedule

SUNDAY 3RD – Party in the HB bar and hall – Rubix Cube theme - come dressed in red, blue, green, yellow, orange and white clothes that you don't mind losing (Primark). Swap with your new friends to end up in only one colour

MONDAY 4TH – Warehouse - Village People Theme (Cowboy, Indian, Biker, Policeman, Soldier, Builder ...)

TUESDAY 5TH – Po Na Na - Pirate Night

WEDNESDAY 6TH - Bosh Bar Crawl ending at Basement 45 (not to be missed last year we made BBC news!) - No theme but we all wear matching t-shirts which you buy when you get here.

THURSDAY 7TH - Lizard Lounge - Geeks and Cheerleaders

FRIDAY 8TH - Java - Black and/or White night, quite a nice venue so dress smart!

SATURDAY 9TH - HB Bar and Hall - HB Theme (come dressed as something beginning with either H, B or both . Examples from last year include: HB pencil, Box, Little Bo Peep, Hooker...etc).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Max I)

Thanks in advance.
    Hey, I don't know if it is the right thing but I downloaded a PDF with the freshers fortnight from the JCR? Does this sound familiar?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LZRSWRD)
    Hiatt Baker's schedule

SUNDAY 3RD – Party in the HB bar and hall – Rubix Cube theme - come dressed in red, blue, green, yellow, orange and white clothes that you don't mind losing (Primark). Swap with your new friends to end up in only one colour

MONDAY 4TH – Warehouse - Village People Theme (Cowboy, Indian, Biker, Policeman, Soldier, Builder ...)
    haha, I thought Churchill Hall's animal theme was bad

ReputationRep:
    Hiatt Baker's schedule

TUESDAY 5TH – Po Na Na - Pirate Night

WEDNESDAY 6TH - Bosh Bar Crawl ending at Basement 45 (not to be missed last year we made BBC news!) - No theme but we all wear matching t-shirts which you buy when you get here.

THURSDAY 7TH - Lizard Lounge - Geeks and Cheerleaders

FRIDAY 8TH - Java - Black and/or White night, quite a nice venue so dress smart!

SATURDAY 9TH - HB Bar and Hall - HB Theme (come dressed as something beginning with either H, B or both . Examples from last year include: HB pencil, Box, Little Bo Peep, Hooker...etc).
    Woooo! Hiatt Baker ftw! :woo: It's going to be so good. I have an extra original idea for the HB theme night.

Incidentally, do you understand what they mean by 'Black and/or White night, quite a nice venue so dress smart!'. Obviously it doesn't mean dress formally, so what exactly do they mean? :confused: Java is just another club after all...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chocothunder)
    Woooo! Hiatt Baker ftw! :woo: It's going to be so good. I have an extra original idea for the HB theme night.

Incidentally, do you understand what they mean by 'Black and/or White night, quite a nice venue so dress smart!'. Obviously it doesn't mean dress formally, so what exactly do they mean? :confused: Java is just another club after all...
    I assume it just means nothing too scruffy. For example, a white polo, black jeans, white shoes (but nice ones not Reebok classics which have been caked in mud.

I've got no clue what to do to find costumes!

ReputationRep:
    I assume it just means nothing too scruffy. For example, a white polo, black jeans, white shoes (but nice ones not Reebok classics which have been caked in mud.

Ahhh, I guess that makes sense. I've got something for each theme apart from the pirate one, which just seems like too much effort.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Max I)

Thanks in advance.
    Which hall are you in?

ReputationRep:

Java was quite a posh place (as on decor), it's a cafe in the daytime.
    However something happened with the ownership over the summer, im not sure if anything significant has changed though.

here are some photos from last year:
    http://www.facebook.com/photos.php?id=1098774341

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsheppard11)
    Java was quite a posh place (as on decor), it's a cafe in the daytime.
    However something happened with the ownership over the summer, im not sure if anything significant has changed though.

here are some photos from last year:
    http://www.facebook.com/photos.php?id=1098774341
    Ah right. Sounds interesting. I'm getting so hyped for freshers' week! :woo:
    Annoyingly that link doesn't work, as I get a 'content not found' message, but hopefully if I wear just a white polo then I won't look too out of place.

ReputationRep:
    Ah right. Sounds interesting. I'm getting so hyped for freshers' week! :woo:
    Annoyingly that link doesn't work, as I get a 'content not found' message, but hopefully if I wear just a white polo then I won't look too out of place.
    oh, try adding:
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1098774341
    or
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=120533199020

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skotch)
    Which hall are you in?
    I am a Churchillian. Bit relieved I am not in Hiatt Baker, because the only costumes I have nailed are the frenchman, zeus and an african game hunter.

ReputationRep:

Hey, sorry to jump on into your conversation, but I had presumed that for Black and white they'd meant a bit smarter than that - i.e. shirts (no tie) and leather shoes for the guys, dresses for girls. In short: No jeans or trainers.

Also, I'm so excited!!
    Eek!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dora the Dagger)
    Hey, sorry to jump on into your conversation, but I had presumed that for Black and white they'd meant a bit smarter than that - i.e. shirts (no tie) and leather shoes for the guys, dresses for girls. In short: No jeans or trainers.

Also, I'm so excited!!
    Eek!
    :o: , way too formal for my liking! I would be excited but I have no fancy dress stuff.

ReputationRep:

Also, I'm so excited!!
    Eek!
    Surely if all the guys were wearing white shirts without ties and black trousers then we'd all look like gay Spanish waiters? :curious:

ReputationRep:
    Surely if all the guys were wearing white shirts without ties and black trousers then we'd all look like gay Spanish waiters? :curious:
    Although I absolutely LOVE this idea, the guys I go out with normally wear this kinda thing, and have been turned away from clubs for being too under-dressed. Unfortunately, they are not often mistaken for gay Spanish waiters!

:o: , way too formal for my liking! I would be excited but I have no fancy dress stuff.
    Are you not finding the searching for costumes thing a pleasurable experience, then? I am finding it actually quite exciting :shh:

ReputationRep:
    Although I absolutely LOVE this idea, the guys I go out with normally wear this kinda thing, and have been turned away from clubs for being too under-dressed. Unfortunately, they are not often mistaken for gay Spanish waiters!

Are you not finding the searching for costumes thing a pleasurable experience, then? I am finding it actually quite exciting :shh:
    Decided I will go the official freshers party on the 5th instead of the pirate night, think I am sorted for the others now though.

ReputationRep:
    Decided I will go the official freshers party on the 5th instead of the pirate night, think I am sorted for the others now though.
    Brill. I was thinking about the official freshers party, like whether it'd be worth going or not.. On the one hand, It's probably most important to get to know people from Hiatt Baker, but on the other hand, it'd be a shame to miss the larger events. I guess it just depends on who I meet in Freshers week!

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.