Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Apologies for my complete stupidity regarding this subject. Please bear with me!!

I currently have a current account with HSBC, with an overdraft limit of just £100.

I have noticed on my internet banking account that there is an option to extend my overdraft.

If I choose to extend my overdraft to £500 for the next 12 months, it says it will charge me £18.6% debit interest. What exactly does this mean? Will it charge me large amounts every time I make a withdrawal and go further into my overdraft? My debit interest is currently around 20p a month when I go into my £100 overdraft, which is absolutely fine. I would like to extend it but I'm worried these charges will increase dramatically. It is likely I will be in my overdraft on a regular basis.

Thanks in advance.

Chris.

ReputationRep:
    If you're a student, pay off your current account overdraft and open a student one. That way you can get up to £1000 interest free.

ReputationRep:
    I don't qualify for a student account as my Access Course is only 1 year long.

HSBC terms and conditions stipulate you have to be in a full-time course of at least 2 years to be considered for a student account.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.