Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Apologies for my complete stupidity regarding this subject. Please bear with me!!

I currently have a current account with HSBC, with an overdraft limit of just £100.

I have noticed on my internet banking account that there is an option to extend my overdraft.

If I choose to extend my overdraft to £500 for the next 12 months, it says it will charge me £18.6% debit interest. What exactly does this mean? Will it charge me large amounts every time I make a withdrawal and go further into my overdraft? My debit interest is currently around 20p a month when I go into my £100 overdraft, which is absolutely fine. I would like to extend it but I'm worried these charges will increase dramatically. It is likely I will be in my overdraft on a regular basis.

Thanks in advance.

Chris.

ReputationRep:
    If you're a student, pay off your current account overdraft and open a student one. That way you can get up to £1000 interest free.

ReputationRep:
    I don't qualify for a student account as my Access Course is only 1 year long.

HSBC terms and conditions stipulate you have to be in a full-time course of at least 2 years to be considered for a student account.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.