Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Drinking for the first time at uni watch

I was just wondering whether drinking for the first time during freshers week is a good idea at all? It'll probably be my only chance to try it and I don't really wanna feel left out. I know some of my flat mates will probably be drinking and playing games like ring of fire & I'd wanna be involved and have a laugh.

Advice, should I try it & if I should, how much should i drink and what?

I'm a guy btw

yeah try it! maybe dont have loads at first, bear in mind it will take about half an hour to have an effect. maybe limit yourself to say, 3 or 4 drinks the first night you try it, and make sure you've eaten beforehand. A lot of people take time to get used to the taste of beer and wine, so maybe start with spirit and mixer (like vodka & lemonade), or cider, & avoid shots. have fun!

ReputationRep:
    I'd suggest you at least try alcohol, otherwise you're going to be destroyed in freshers week, after the first night out.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    If you've never had alcohol before it's likely you'll get drunk pretty easily, so pace yourself... but it would be a good time to try it, yes.

I had barely drunk anything prior to Freshers Week in my 1st year (this was last year).

I was put in a corridor of light to moderate drinkers, I made friends with the right people, and I slowly but surely built up my tolerance throughout the year. For some reason, I was being sick from alcohol a lot in my final term but that was probably just tension from exams and stuff.

You'll realise just how great partying and drinking with a great group of friends really is! I hope I can make a good friends with a partying crowd in my second year somehow. I'm fairly used to drink now. Obviously no massive heavyweight, but I can cope well with drink whereas this time last year, I'd hardly experienced it.

Hope my advice helped!

ReputationRep:
    i was in your same position a year ago. My advice is stick to weak stuff to start with otherwise you'll get wasted very VERY quickly. Get cheap beers with low alcohol levels and maybe some alcopops that are very easy to drink (they're just like soft drinks with a bit of alcohol). Don't pretend you're a heavy drinker if you're not, let people know you've only ever had a few drinks before and that you're quite a lightweight. You'll be able to make plenty of jokes about it too "it'll only take a couple of cans and I'll be paralytic on the floor!". Ask you're flat mates about drinking too, most people love talking about drinking and the things they've got up to while drunk.

Remember that hangovers are caused by dehydration. Before you go to bed, drink as much water as possible to stop hangovers. I've come back from a night out before completely obliterated, but then drank 3 litres of water and had almost no hangover (digestive system was feeling a bit weird from all the liquid tho).

Some of the ring of fire rules can involve having to down drinks or drink things you don't want. If you don't want to do it, just drink as much as you can then laugh it off saying something like "thats all i can do now, but by next week i'll be well hardcore and down it all with practise!".

tldr: drink light drinks, don't pretend to be hardcore, don't be pressured, have fun.

ReputationRep:
    do it, but really you're 18 year old GUY and have never drank.looooooool

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sponge man)
    do it, but really you're 18 year old GUY and have never drank.looooooool
    Sorry but does it really matter how old he is or if he's ever drank? Maybe he just doesn't like drinking/never got the chance.

ReputationRep:
    Try a few but pace yourself. Don't want to get absolutely blocked that you don't know what's going on and end up having a horrible night.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by outlaw-torn)
    Sorry but does it really matter how old he is or if he's ever drank? Maybe he just doesn't like drinking/never got the chance.
    yea but still..........

ReputationRep:
    No Way!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah sure go for it! I actually started drinking a few days ago (uni). It's great fun especially when you get drunk very easily.

ReputationRep:
    Warm up before you freshers start. JD and Coke, Vodka and Red Bull, and Brandy and Coke are the way forward.

ReputationRep:
    Just don't over do it

ReputationRep:
    Buy a crate of any beer (no, don't drink all of it), take you time and enjoy a sociable drink with your new housemates If you still don't like the taste of whatever you're drinking, offer to swap with someone for say a cider or a vodka. By the time everyone has had a few you often get a drink of whatever is going around.

ReputationRep:
    OP, why is it you've never drank before? I know a few people who didn't before Uni. religious and health reason thype people, both changed their ways, and ended up dropping out because they hated themselves for it.

ReputationRep:
    Go guiness, love a pint of guiness over lager. Ooh gin slings and double vodka redbulls, jagerbombs, they're nice to start off with although at a barby it has to be lager

ReputationRep:
    Depends on what you want to do. If you want to drink, try it but pace yourself. If you don't, don't - in itself, it's not a big deal and there are plenty of people who don't drink at uni.

ReputationRep:
    should you try alcohol...

does a bear **** in the woods?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 27, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.