Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

So I've been at uni for a week now and I'm really not enjoying it. I haven't made any proper friends yet, and freshers week was rubbish (it was just the tiny student bar every night. My friends at other uni's were going paint-balling and seeing huge bands and comedians). There are about 10 clubs and societies, the town is really small so there's not much to do and my room in halls is really expensive.

On top of that, I'm not sure about my course any more, which is Business Studies, as I think I'd prefer something more interesting like History or Philosophy. I had previously resisted these courses as there are far more career prospects in Business, but I am regretting this now as I'm starting to think an interesting course is more important.

I know I have nobody to blame but myself as I did not research the course or the uni properly and rushed into things. It's completely my fault. But do you think I'd be better off dropping out now before I waste any more time and money feeling unhappy? I could then go travelling for a year and start a different course at a different uni next year. Or should I wait a few more weeks to see if things get better? I haven't started any proper lectures yet (just a welcome week), so things could improve after then, although it doesn't seem likely. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    I would stick it out for now. The dynamic of uni changes a lot when you settle in to actually studying. You will also be able to find out more about the actual course and be able to make a more informed decision on whether it is right for you if you give it a chance for a few weeks. If you still do not like it then I suggest talking to your personal tutor (you will be assigned one in the next few weeks if you have not been yet) and just talking this through with them. They will be able to give you specific advice and maybe could give you options such as transferring to another course right now instead of waiting a year and so on, so you may find something that you feel is better for you.

Do not stick with it if you are really unhappy as it is not worth it, but do give it a go and make sure you know you definitely made a fully informed decision. You can drop out at any point (give yourself until Christmas, perhaps?) if you want to, but you can never go back if you change your mind, so it is worth trying. Good luck I hope you decide what is best for you and pursue it successfully.

ReputationRep:
    What university are you at?
    And dont worry! Things will only get better from here on.. or if they get worse, you could transfer courses?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 27, 2010
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.