The Student Room Group

Changing Uni and course after first year?

I'm thinking about moving to a Uni closer to home next year. And possibly changing course - I'm finding it a bit too hard. But how does one go about doing this?. I'm currently at Uni, I'm in the first year and this is the first time I've been to Uni. Would I need to apply through UCAS all over again or could I simply ring up Universities?.

Has any of you done this before, if so, how did you do it?.

I'd really appreciate any advice! Thanks :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
If you wanted to do the same course elsewhere, you could just call around, but as its course and location, I'd say yes, you probably do need to go through UCAS again.
Surely you haven't been at uni that long then, if you're only in first year. Have you decided for sure you don't want to do it any more?
Reply 2
I'm just worried I'm going to fail and that it is going to be too hard. I haven't really given it a chance to be honest. I've just experienced a lot of failure. I will probably stick with the same course though (I'm doing Biology with a foundation year). But I definatly want to switch to a Uni closer to my home..so I guess I could ring them up nearer the time?. Or do you think applying through UCAS would be better?.
Ring up the uni's your interested in and explain your situation and see what their view is. When they say yeah sure then you apply through UCAS.
Reply 4
deathbeforeimmortality
Ring up the uni's your interested in and explain your situation and see what their view is. When they say yeah sure then you apply through UCAS.

Oh right ok. Do you think I should ring them as soon as possible then?
pokergirl
I'm thinking about moving to a Uni closer to home next year. And possibly changing course - I'm finding it a bit too hard. But how does one go about doing this?. I'm currently at Uni, I'm in the first year and this is the first time I've been to Uni. Would I need to apply through UCAS all over again or could I simply ring up Universities?.

Has any of you done this before, if so, how did you do it?.

I'd really appreciate any advice! Thanks :smile:

I changed course & uni after my first year, I registered with UCAS again and I needed to send a new form off. As I decided to change uni during summer, I had to go through clearing and just called up the uni I was interested in and got place.
Reply 6
Of_the_hook
I changed course & uni after my first year, I registered with UCAS again and I needed to send a new form off. As I decided to change uni during summer, I had to go through clearing and just called up the uni I was interested in and got place.

Ah, ok. What about your student finance, was that affected or did it just transfer over or something?. Did you get the same amount when you transfered?.
(edited 13 years ago)
pokergirl
Ah, ok. What about your student finance, was that affected or did it just transfer over or something?. Did you get the same amount when you transfered?.

I had to fill out a change of circumstances form to let them know about the new uni & course but its going to take a bit longer to arrive due the changes. I'm getting the same amount as before....student finance will only support you for 4 years if you're doing 3 year degree, after that, they could ask you to pay for it yourself.
Reply 8
Of_the_hook
I had to fill out a change of circumstances form to let them know about the new uni & course but its going to take a bit longer to arrive due the changes. I'm getting the same amount as before....student finance will only support you for 4 years if you're doing 3 year degree, after that, they could ask you to pay for it yourself.

Oh that's good then. I'm doing a foundation year at the moment but hope to transfer to a 3 year course next year. Thanks for your help :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending