Turn on thread page Beta
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Hi, our class has a marked practical assesment on wednesday and we are only given the title to help us revise it. I not sure what can come up so I'm hoping someone could give me advice on what is likely to come up eg. percentage error, measuring gradients, interpreting data.
    the title is this
    Evaluative practical assesment, Determining the order of reaction.

ReputationRep:
    I did determining the order of reaction for coursework but I think it's different to yours because it consisted of a 2 day practical session followed by a written report (that was soo long and needed so many references).

I'm guessing that you will need to find percentage error in your stopwatch times, in your measurements of liquids etc. You may have to draw a graph and determine the order from the shape of the graph. You may be asked to draw a line of best fit and the draw two lines of "worst possible but still acceptable" fit and then find an error of gradient, or say whether your points are all within range and hence whether your experiment is valid, reliable, precise etc. I have done 12 science coursework modules and it is useually questions like this. For evaluation you may be asked what you could improve or what makes things least reliable etc. You may be given data other than yoursand then asked to evaluate that data. I once had to use a log equation so I'd just make sure you are ok with basic maths. I wish you the best of luck with it (I personally hated courseworks)
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by hidden_shadow)
    I did determining the order of reaction for coursework but I think it's different to yours because it consisted of a 2 day practical session followed by a written report (that was soo long and needed so many references).

I'm guessing that you will need to find percentage error in your stopwatch times, in your measurements of liquids etc. You may have to draw a graph and determine the order from the shape of the graph. You may be asked to draw a line of best fit and the draw two lines of "worst possible but still acceptable" fit and then find an error of gradient, or say whether your points are all within range and hence whether your experiment is valid, reliable, precise etc. I have done 12 science coursework modules and it is useually questions like this. For evaluation you may be asked what you could improve or what makes things least reliable etc. You may be given data other than yoursand then asked to evaluate that data. I once had to use a log equation so I'd just make sure you are ok with basic maths. I wish you the best of luck with it (I personally hated courseworks)
    thanks alot, i will ask my teacher about these things in college tomorrow. Its not really coursework, its a practical assesment which lasts 30 mins i think. OCR spec. Do you think there will be different rate equations popping up eg, rate of concentration decreasing, volume of gas being produced? Other than that thanks, good rep :P

ReputationRep:
    So you're going to do a 30 min practical and then answer the question paper in the remaining 30mins? If you are it sounds a bit like the physics pracricals we did (physics was OCR my chemistry was salters) It is possible to get the concentrations and gases like you say. The famous ones are the iodine and thiosulphate, the bromine, the "quenching" ones to stop a reaction etc. The first part will be on your data and the second will be with other data that they provide. They may ask what instruments you could use - colorimetre with experiments like iodine and thiosulphate. As iodine concentration increases the clorimeter should register increasingly higher readings. I'd have a list in my head of sources of error and decide which is the greatest source of error. I had to do that for my physics one and I wa stumped the time because my experiment failed and everything seemed like a giant source of error! Bring a calculator, you may need it. I can't give you much more info from just your title . . . maybe if you had more info about your practical like whether it is the iodine thiosulfate titration etc. I'll be away to uni soo so hopefully I've been of some help.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    So you're going to do a 30 min practical and then answer the question paper in the remaining 30mins? If you are it sounds a bit like the physics pracricals we did (physics was OCR my chemistry was salters) It is possible to get the concentrations and gases like you say. The famous ones are the iodine and thiosulphate, the bromine, the "quenching" ones to stop a reaction etc. The first part will be on your data and the second will be with other data that they provide. They may ask what instruments you could use - colorimetre with experiments like iodine and thiosulphate. As iodine concentration increases the clorimeter should register increasingly higher readings. I'd have a list in my head of sources of error and decide which is the greatest source of error. I had to do that for my physics one and I wa stumped the time because my experiment failed and everything seemed like a giant source of error! Bring a calculator, you may need it. I can't give you much more info from just your title . . . maybe if you had more info about your practical like whether it is the iodine thiosulfate titration etc. I'll be away to uni soo so hopefully I've been of some help.
    yep a lot of help. Im making a list for my teacher and im going to leave it on his desk and not leave the class room until I understand it all.
    Its not the practical really, they call it practical, but we just put a pen to paper and get tested. It is part of 3 assesments, which the other two contain practical experiments.

ReputationRep:
    I've done the Quatitative one just recently..Have you not done a practice eval?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eloades11)
    yep a lot of help. Im making a list for my teacher and im going to leave it on his desk and not leave the class room until I understand it all.
    Its not the practical really, they call it practical, but we just put a pen to paper and get tested. It is part of 3 assesments, which the other two contain practical experiments.
    So this is the one out of 10 marks I presume? With qualitative being out of 10 and quantitative being out of 20? For the last question there may be a lot of lines left for you to write a 5 mark answer if it is anything like the physics ones. They're both OCR so it may be similar, but being different subjects there is no guarantee. Evaluation is all about what you did wrong, how to improve and errors etc. Show workings for calculations. It may seem trivial but examiners like it! Remember appropriate units and significant figures - and know how to justify your choice of significant figures. Quality of written communication for the 5 mark question (if it's similar to the physics one). There are key concepts that they look for in your answer so make sure in your last large evaluation answer make at least 2 different points, quoting figures if appropriate from previous answers. Sorry for the long answer!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    So this is the one out of 10 marks I presume? With qualitative being out of 10 and quantitative being out of 20? For the last question there may be a lot of lines left for you to write a 5 mark answer if it is anything like the physics ones. They're both OCR so it may be similar, but being different subjects there is no guarantee. Evaluation is all about what you did wrong, how to improve and errors etc. Show workings for calculations. It may seem trivial but examiners like it! Remember appropriate units and significant figures - and know how to justify your choice of significant figures. Quality of written communication for the 5 mark question (if it's similar to the physics one). There are key concepts that they look for in your answer so make sure in your last large evaluation answer make at least 2 different points, quoting figures if appropriate from previous answers. Sorry for the long answer!
    yep that sounds about right. thanks for your help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Butterfly8)
    I've done the Quatitative one just recently..Have you not done a practice eval?
    yes could you help with the quantitative?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 5, 2011

University open days

1. University of Edinburgh
    All Departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  2. University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
  3. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.