What is the name of the material... Watch

This discussion is closed.
sarahwhatevver
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
...from which t-shirts are made? Jersey? But jersey is synthetic...right?
MadNatSci
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by sarahwhatevver)
...from which t-shirts are made? Jersey? But jersey is synthetic...right?

Ummm... I think you can get jersey wool, which comes from sheep on the island of Jersey, so that wouldn't be synthetic. But most t-shirts I know of are made of cotton...
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
most probably cotton

never heard of a material called jersey
sarahwhatevver
Rep:
?
It turns out people just refer to it as 't-shirt material/fabric'...well duh! (:
But thanks...i Didnt know about the wool jersey!!
(100th post...yayyyy!)
picju96
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
(Original post by MadNatSci)
Ummm... I think you can get jersey wool, which comes from sheep on the island of Jersey
That's rubbish! I'm from Jersey, and it's not that! There are wollen jumpers called Jerseys and Guernseys, which the fishermen wore (and still do) because they're very warm, made out of wool, but it's not a special type of wool, it's the stitching.

T-shirts are made out of cotton, and often some sort of synthetic material, polyester normally.
scaryboots
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
jersey refers to the way it's knitted - ie stretchy machine knit that doesn't fray but's still fairly thin.
Specifically it's cotton jersey
I wish i didn't know this.
sarahwhatevver
Rep:
?
(Original post by scaryboots)
jersey refers to the way it's knitted - ie stretchy machine knit that doesn't fray but's still fairly thin.
Specifically it's cotton jersey
I wish i didn't know this.

Ahhh...I get it now!

That's rubbish! I'm from Jersey, and it's not that! There are wollen jumpers called Jerseys and Guernseys, which the fishermen wore (and still do) because they're very warm, made out of wool, but it's not a special type of wool, it's the stitching.

Sorry, I didnt meant to offend anyone...in fact my knowledge was so limited I didnt know that 'jersey' was named after a place...I shouldnt be blamed!!
cobra
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Cotton - natural, polyester - synthetic, or a mixture of the two
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (529)
66.71%
No (264)
33.29%

Watched Threads