Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Assuming you did not take Maths to AS/A2.

I achieved 7 A* at GCSE, discounting short courses, and 1 B in Maths (a C in German too). Had it been any other GCSE (other than a Science or possibly English one), I would not be worried, but because it's a core subject, and Maths is valued highly, not to mention the competitiveness of Medicine courses, it has me slightly on edge.

I'm aware that very few universities specify an A/A* grade for Maths at GCSE, but I never trusted minimum requirements as an accurate portrayal, so I wanted to see how successful applicants did (other threads don't specify what GCSE's they've achieved in).

I'm unaccustomed to the TSR forums, so I apoligise if this is in the wrong place or something similar is already in operation.

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    i went to a secondary school that is one of the worst rated as bellow satisfactory and achieved one of the best results.

4.5 A * , 3 A's , 3 B's and a C and im applying to medicine , i just wish unis would recognise this. i know people say o well it doens't matter what school you went to but it does.
    I had like a supply teacher every month for maths and english so bad. but came out with B , B

ReputationRep:
    I dunno, I may be very wrong as I am studying Maths at University now. But I know a friend who applied for medicine (at top universities), and they did not take into account any of his GCSE grades, they simply based it on what his A-Level results are.

Saying that - he got an A* in Maths at A-level (7 A*'s, 2 As) altogether. He got 2 A*s, 2 As at A-level and got rejected from all his university. So be warned, medicine is very very competitively fierce, but I would say your A-Level results are more important.

If you're in doubt maybe it's best to speak to your form tutor, or maybe a teacher you feel close to - maybe they can point you in the right direction, or give you, a definitively and personal answer.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 28, 2010
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.