Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

My names Liam.

I am 21 and currently doing an access course in social sciences and humanities at level 3. this is 60 credits at level 3.

I want to go to university and either do psychology,criminology or maybe a few others.

I was wandering how Universities feel about access courses and what universities to avoid when applying through UCAS. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also as i will be turning 22 in March will i be classed as a mature student? and will this affect my application at all?

Thanks for Reading and hope you can help.

Liam

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently studying an access course (social studies) also, what I have done is email all of the universities I am interesting in going to and asking them if they will accept my access course.

Like you I am hoping to study psychology and criminology. Nearly all of the unis I emailed said they would accept the access course with at least 45 credits at level three and 15 from level two. Some have stated the grade they want (as you will either get a pass, merit or distinction) and all have specified maths and english GCSE grade C or above.

One uni wanted the exact units I am doing and then said they would not accept me as my course was not scientific enough for their degree programme.

Some unis class 21 as a mature student but I think the majority consider it 25 and above.

Basically, just ring or email the universities directly.

ReputationRep:
    Thank-You very much.

I will get on with that then.

Good luck with your course buddy.

Thanks.

Liam

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am a current Access student. The advice I have recieved is to personally contact the admissions teams and ask them what the exact entry requirements are.

This year is a bit different because of the distinction/merit/pass grades on the level 3 credits. The entry requirements I have been given seem to vary a lot - IE: Two courses asking for ABB at A-level, but one wants straight distinctions and the other would accept just a pass with 'some' merits.

Further up the league tables you go for your chosen subject the more difficult it is to get in with Access to HE. I'm not even bothering with top 10 for my course choice as they all want A-level Maths basically.

Hope that makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i have been contacting them and yes it varies a lot.

best thing i found to do is go to a mediocre university then after a year providing you do well in your first year you can always request an upgrade.

great advice though people.

Thanks.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.