Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey people xD

I'm in a really dodgy situation right now and I'm going mad... I don't know whether I should drop, or keep General studies... I heard from some people that it's useless and most of the time disregarded by the top uni's, and I've heard from others that it's a brilliant choice to give me the upper hand when applying for medical school. X.x I've talked to 2 teachers about this; one said keep it, otherwise you would'nt survive the competition of medicine, and the other said drop it, and concentrate on the important subjects. See my dilemma? :eek3: (I'd prefer to drop it btw)

What do you guys think? Would it help at all come application time, or is it a wiser thing to drop it and concentrate on the main subjects...?

Right now I'm taking Biology, Chemistry, Physics and maths ( + General studies) and I'm into the third week of year 12 Hopefully, I'd like to get in to either medicine or dentistry

Any ideas?

Waste of time.

ReputationRep:
    :no:

ReputationRep:
    No uni will care.

But for peace of mind, you could not drop it but just not go to lessons and not revise, turn up to the exam and get a C (I don't think it's possible for a sentient human to get less than that in GS).

ReputationRep:
    If you keep it you need to get an A in it (which, from what I've heard, isn't exactly difficult). If you keep it and get lower it will put you at a disadvantage. Dropping it probably won't affect your application but you could ask the unis you want to apply to what they think. They're usually pretty fast at getting back to you on questions like this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddyman4)
    No uni will care.

But for peace of mind, you could not drop it but just not go to lessons and not revise, turn up to the exam and get a C (I don't think it's possible for a sentient human to get less than that in GS).
    Luckily enough, i've been blessed with the choice of either keeping it or dropping, my head of year was about to take it off my timetable for good this morning, but then decided it would be a good idea to put more doubts into my mind and told me to ponder over it some more before making a decision. :/

Thank you for the post, so far it seems that it's nothing but a waste of my time :|

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kittykatkat)
    If you keep it you need to get an A in it (which, from what I've heard, isn't exactly difficult). If you keep it and get lower it will put you at a disadvantage. Dropping it probably won't affect your application but you could ask the unis you want to apply to what they think. They're usually pretty fast at getting back to you on questions like this.
    Even if i get a high grade in it, would it be of use? I mean, I don't think it's as worthy a subject as other options. But I will contact the unis, thank you!

ReputationRep:
    If you're applying to oxbridge then there is no point because they don't count it. In my offer it said A*AA excluding general studies. Having said that I know somebody who kept general studies to A2 and got into oxbridge medicine. But I have to stress that the A*AA grades they got were NOT in general studies.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.