Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Small rant about PR staff. Comments/agreements/disagreements welcomed.

An Englishman’s home is his castle. I’m pretty sure that sentiment can be extended to men, and indeed women, of all nationalities. Whilst I have not (yet) stocked my flat with ballistae or started to erect crenellations on the windowpanes, it is still a place of security and comfort for me. I feel comfortable with my neighbours. They seem like nice people.

But something is getting me down. PR people who gain entry to the block of flats I live in and proceed to ring every doorbell, harangue every person in the block. Is this even legal? To gain entry to a building by deception and promptly force yourself on every inhabitant? Do they do this to random houses? Of course not. But because we are a target-rich environment we have to deal with the mess of leaflets stuck everywhere and people knock-knocking on the door. I feel I should ask where they live and knock on their doors and offer to take them to fun events, like pig-wrestling or cheese-chasing.

If you are a PR-person, or a rep, or a minion of Satan or whatever you want to call yourself I entreat, beg, ask you kindly to not knock on my door or to try to gain access to my building by deceit/ringing everyone’s buzzer until we become so frustrated that we let you in.

Because I warn you now. I’ve got a catapult from Ikea and I’ll use it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JonoDrew)

Because I warn you now. I’ve got a catapult from Ikea and I’ll use it.
    I have a trebuchet from Clas Ohlsen and I don't have to assemble it.

ReputationRep:
    that doesnt sound very safe random people been allowed in your block of flats, can you not put a word in to your management company or something?

ReputationRep:
    At my uni, only 'official' promoters could come round, and often they just popped stuff through our letter box (in the end we put a plastic bag outside for people to put them in, which ended with a fire alarm and me rocking up outside drunk with pizza and carling)

as all sorts of people were wondering up there, they put extra security on the doors in the second term

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emm86)
    that doesnt sound very safe random people been allowed in your block of flats, can you not put a word in to your management company or something?
    If people let them in the front door, I can't do anything about it. And if all they did was ring the buzzers and ask to come up and were given permission and then left after selling whatever it is they sell, then fine.

It's that they then wander about knocking on other flats who didn't give them permission to enter. Is this illegal?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not really sure if it's legal or not but if it's causing a nuisance then it should be reported to your flat management.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 27, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.