Turn on thread page Beta

Joining the RAF from another country watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey

I'm trying to get info on how o join the RAF as a pilot from South Africa where i have lived all my life, my father can get a passport for England however when I emailed the help on RAF, they said that you must have lived in the country for at least 5 years, yet on the website under eligibility at the "lived here for less than 3 years" section, it says that you must be a holder of a passport and be a citizen of a commonwealth country( which I am).

My question is this, how would I join from SA, at what stage during the application progress would I have to go to the UK, and must i have lived there for 5 years.

Thanks for your help
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Firstly - you say your father 'can get a passport for England' - what does that mean? Does he have a British passport? Is he a British citizen? From the RAF website:

You are a British citizen with at least one parent who is a British citizen and you lived with your parents abroad and you attended secondary school within the European Economic Area or a Commonwealth Country.

That tells me that YOU need to also be a British citizen. Do you hold a British passport or a dual nationality? If not, then you need that as well as your father being a British citizen.

I'll repeat this bit. Is your father currently a British citizen? Are you?

ReputationRep:
    I'm good for everything, age, education, height, fitness, I'm only going to start applying in around 5 years anyway as I'm only in Grade 10. I just need help on finding out about whole passport area and any advice from joining from another country

ReputationRep:
    You haven't really answered Prostacker's question there though have you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Awsum4sum)
    I'm good for everything, age, education, height, fitness, I'm only going to start applying in around 5 years anyway as I'm only in Grade 10. I just need help on finding out about whole passport area and any advice from joining from another country
    Well, you're clearly not good for age or education as you're not yet old enough or have the right [minimum] level of education. You may know what those levels need to be, but that's not the same thing. Height you can't possibly know without being measured at OASC.

The simple question needs answering: do you have/can you get a British passport now?

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.