Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Second night of uni and I want to cry watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jmenkus)
    That or you'll just get a reputation as a pathetic pushover and become the ***** of the group. I'd rather not have any friends than have that happen.
    I don't mean just agreeing to do anything and everything, because yes, that's the reputation you'll get.
    But as other people have said, you need to be more open to meeting new people and new experiences instead of not doing something just because you don't like the sound of it. You'll just get left behind as people won't bother inviting you places. People who don't do anything they don't want to ever tend to be really boring because they miss out on new opportunities, everyone else will be out having fun and you'll be in your room by yourself because you didn't like the sound of it.

ReputationRep:
    Just sit with people at lunch. Everyones at the same point! There are people in freshers week I never spoke to again, and I barely spoke to my future housemates =]

ReputationRep:
    I sympathise.
    When I went on exchange the girls I was put with took an instant dislike to me for no reason, I suppose we were just very different people.
    BUT in the next few weeks I made some amazing friends though my classes, and met their friends, etc. And it was awesome. So don't be too quick to get upset; there is plenty of time to make friends, and sometimes when people are randomly put together they don't make friends with each other - but this doesn't matter!
    Just give it more time, seriously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizlaz350)
    I don't mean just agreeing to do anything and everything, because yes, that's the reputation you'll get.
    But as other people have said, you need to be more open to meeting new people and new experiences instead of not doing something just because you don't like the sound of it. You'll just get left behind as people won't bother inviting you places. People who don't do anything they don't want to ever tend to be really boring because they miss out on new opportunities, everyone else will be out having fun and you'll be in your room by yourself because you didn't like the sound of it.
    Of course. The way you put it originally made it sound like drugs or something :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jmenkus)
    Of course. The way you put it originally made it sound like drugs or something :P
    Oh no! Haha, that wouldn't be the best of ideas. I just didn't phrase it very well xD

ReputationRep:
    Now my classes have started I've found I've made a lot of friends rather than disposable ones I made while shouting over nightclub music in Freshers.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, I was the same...its early days! I hated it so much I cried myself to sleep throughout the whole week. My flatmates weren't that bad once I got to know them, it just takes time and effort. With me I think it was more that I didn't like the flat I was living in...it was called the woods...! Once my course started I met louds of people, a few even suggested that I moved in with them, as there had someone dropping out...which I did...and everything just want uphill from there. Im not saying find another flat but just wait until your your course starts and everything will start falling place....if it feels that same after a few weeks then talk to someone about moving...!Just keep putting yourself out there and talk to any random person..thats what freshers week is all about! Hope everything works out for you!

ReputationRep:
    Hey I feel like I'm in a very similar boat to yourself. I'm from London and I just started at the university of Essex. I've been allocated accomodation at Avon Way which is really far away from campus and there are no freshers here. My neighbours are foreign and keep to themselves. When I went to campus on my first day, everyone had seemed to have made friends already... So I decided to go to a club night because thats what everyones advice was.

Well at least I learnt one thing. Never to EVER go to a club by yourself in an attempt to make friends. Everyone knew each other, it was impossible to talk to people because it was so loud. I have put myself out there and it has failed. I ended up walking home alone at 2am in the freezing cold fr half a hour, practically in tears.

Whats more, I miss London. This town seems small and quiet, with not much to do. I miss my friends back home, who all seem to be having a good time at uni.. I can't find people here like them I guess. I feel like noone is up for making new friends. I hate where I'm living ad how far it is from uni.

I find it unfair when I hear of the number of people who are living on campus who are not freshers, there are so many second years and postgrads. I put this accom. as my last choice and I now have absolutely noone. This is not how I expected my first night to go at all..

Any advice would be appreciated. I feel like giving up and reapplying to a better uni.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.