Turn on thread page Beta

So In 2011, are tuition fees going up?! watch

ReputationRep:
    I have a place in 2010 cycle, for lancaster uni which i deferred to 2011.

Will tuition fees be the same in 2011 as they are this year?

Also they are meant to be going up in the near future? Will this effect people who have already started degrees? Are the fees allowed to jump from £3,500 in the 2nd year up to let's say £7,000 in the 3rd for example.

Lancatser Uni offer bursaries of £1000 to students from low incomes. How will this be affected fro 2011 entry and thereafter? Or will I be treated as a 2010 student? And are these more likely to be affected?

I know some answers will be specualtive, but any ideas will be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Im not sure if tuition fees are going up, but if you defer entry you should pay the tuition fees that were there in the year you deferred so you wouldnt pay more. Same with if they go up whilst you are at uni, you opay whatever you paid in the 1st year.

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully they will be pretty much the same. From what I've read, 2012 or 2013 is apparently the year they might hike them up to 7K.

ReputationRep:
    They should be (and hopefully will be) the same. If they weren't, they would have released it before everyone starts applying and because if they were that desperate to cap uni places the increased would have been an incentive *eyeroll*

ReputationRep:
    I hope not. :/

Are they?

ReputationRep:
    They always change a little bit, but it does look like they're raising the cap by quite a lot next year.
    Not sure how that would effect deferred entry, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazzypants)
    Will tuition fees be the same in 2011 as they are this year?
    Yes.

Well, tuition fees will rise ever so slightly every year according to inflation. But if you mean is there going to an an actual increase, no, they will remain over 3k as they are now.

Also they are meant to be going up in the near future?
    There is a lot of talk and they possibly will increase in the future. But not what I'd call near future (next year or two).

Will this effect people who have already started degrees?
    Tuition fees will probably remain the same as they where when you started the degree.

When top up fees came in back in 2006 those who had already started their degree (ie. entered pre-2006 like myself) still paid under the old rules.

As a result there were (and still are) two groups of students paying separate fee amounts. Most pay the higher post-2006 fee and a small minority pay the smaller pre-2006 fee.

Lancatser Uni offer bursaries of £1000 to students from low incomes. How will this be affected fro 2011 entry and thereafter? Or will I be treated as a 2010 student? And are these more likely to be affected?
    These are Lancaster's own, independent bursaries. It's entirely up to them. But if there are no change in circumstance I doubt they'll either significaintly increase or decrease.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 28, 2010
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.