Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I have a plan, and to say it's a long shot would be an understatement, so bear with me.

My current qualifications are as follows:

Standard Grade:

Art and Design - 1
    Chemistry - 1
    Geography - 1
    Graphic Communication - 1
    Physics - 1
    Spanish - 1
    English - 1
    Mathematics - 2

Higher:

Higher English - A
    Higher Graphic Communication - A
    Higher Product Design - A
    Higher Art and Design - B

Advanced Higher:

Art and Design - A

Scottish Group Award: Technology

ECDL and various core skills, some at higher, some int 2.

Now, taking these qualifications into consideration, I plan on going to college next year where I will be studying:

Advanced Higher English, higher chemistry, higher biology, higher maths, and higher physics. If I were to achieve AAAAA, or AAAAB, then this would potentially give me a higher grade range of AAAAAAAB, or AAAAAABB, with AA at advanced higher.

Now, if I were to achieve this and, If I were to gain the requisite work experience and do well in the UKCAT admissions test, is there even the remotest possibility that I would be accepted for medicine at any Scottish uni, even though the qualifications would be gained in my third sitting?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have any opinions or suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    I think instead of doing so many extra qualifications, it would be better to enter a degree this coming year with the qualifications you already have as there are often opportunities to transfer to second year of medicine after a first degree if you achieve a first or second class honours. I have seen this opportunity in the course description for medical sciences, physiology and biomedical sciences and there may be others. It is obviously not guaranteed that you will get a place in medicine after your first degree as you would be interviewed along with other applicants and be required to sit the UKCAT. But in my opinion, there is not much chance of being accepted into first year Medicine after achieving the entry requirements on third sitting, no matter how much they exceed the minimum requirements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kelz_26)
    I think instead of doing so many extra qualifications, it would be better to enter a degree this coming year with the qualifications you already have as there are often opportunities to transfer to second year of medicine after a first degree if you achieve a first or second class honours. I have seen this opportunity in the course description for medical sciences, physiology and biomedical sciences and there may be others. It is obviously not guaranteed that you will get a place in medicine after your first degree as you would be interviewed along with other applicants and be required to sit the UKCAT. But in my opinion, there is not much chance of being accepted into first year Medicine after achieving the entry requirements on third sitting, no matter how much they exceed the minimum requirements.
    The problem is, however, that I'm two years into an industrial design degree which is completely unrelated to medicine and therefore unlikely to get me into a medical degree. The best option, therefore, would be to go to college and take further qualifications and, if medicine is not possible, then go into pharmacy or biomedical science or something like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andrew1990)
    The problem is, however, that I'm two years into an industrial design degree which is completely unrelated to medicine and therefore unlikely to get me into a medical degree. The best option, therefore, would be to go to college and take further qualifications and, if medicine is not possible, then go into pharmacy or biomedical science or something like that.
    My advice would be to email a few universities and ask if they would accept someone applying for medicine in this situation. Out of curiosity, why did you suddenly want to change to something so unrelated to your current degree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kelz_26)
    My advice would be to email a few universities and ask if they would accept someone applying for medicine in this situation. Out of curiosity, why did you suddenly want to change to something so unrelated to your current degree?
    Thanks for your help.

It goes back quite a long way, I was considering a career in medicine years ago in high school as I was considered to be something of a bright spark believe it or not. However, I was also very good at design based subjects and went with these for my highers. There are very few jobs in this field at the moment however and I didn't really enjoy the course despite getting good grades, a scholarship etc, so I've just swallowed my pride and admitted that I made a mistake, so I'm going back to basics and basically doing what I should have done years ago. I've also considered pharmacy at strathclyde, and they have said that they would consider my college qualifications as a first sitting of higher sciences, so at least thats a positive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andrew1990)
    Thanks for your help.

It goes back quite a long way, I was considering a career in medicine years ago in high school as I was considered to be something of a bright spark believe it or not. However, I was also very good at design based subjects and went with these for my highers. There are very few jobs in this field at the moment however and I didn't really enjoy the course despite getting good grades, a scholarship etc, so I've just swallowed my pride and admitted that I made a mistake, so I'm going back to basics and basically doing what I should have done years ago. I've also considered pharmacy at strathclyde, and they have said that they would consider my college qualifications as a first sitting of higher sciences, so at least thats a positive.
    That's ok, I'm sorry I can't be of much help! Well that's good you got a positive response from Strathclyde. Good luck anyway... let me know how things turn out!

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.